The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 22, 2017, 09:00 PM   #1
Rangerrich99

J.C. Higgins Model 101.13 questions

So a friend of mine recently received some of her father's things, and among them was a J.C. Higgins Model 101.13, Sears & Roebuck .22 rifle. Long story short, it's in some disrepair and she asked me if I could take a look at it.

I removed the bolt and got a half-decent look down the bore, which surprisingly seems to be in fair shape. There's a bit of surface rust, but no apparent pitting, and after just 15 minutes of alternately running soaked patches and bore brushes through it, the barrel looks shiny.

However, there's quite a bit of dirt and debris in the action. I was going to just unscrew the trigger guard and try to figure out how to get access to everything inside, then thought perhaps I should ask here if there's any tricks to field stripping this thing.

I checked YT, but shockingly there's absolutely no videos about this gun, which is how I ended up here.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:12 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Hi. That model number isn't correct according to Gunparts' Cross Reference page there is no 101.13. listed There is a 101.1 and a 101.24. The former is a Savage Model 94. A shotgun. The latter a Savage(A 15 is a Stevens. A 120 a Savage.) Model 15-120 and is a single shot .22.
"...thought perhaps I should ask..." Good idea. Not all .22's are as simple as they look. Downside is the lack of even exploded drawings. Closest I've found is the parts drawing at Gunparts. Here without a hunt.
http://stevespages.com/ipb-stevens-15.html
I wouldn't spend too much time and especially money on the thing. No collector value and not much value at all except it was your lady friend's da's.
"...checked YT..." Might as well go to Looney Tunes as Youtube.
Old May 23, 2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Rangerrich99

Okay, sorry about the definition of the pic.

Now, I'm not arguing anything, as I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about these old .22 rifles, so maybe I'm somehow mis-reading this, but to me it looks like it says it's a 'J.C. Higgins Model 101.13.' If it in fact says something else, I'd be grateful for the clarification.

And my friend just wants the gun for sentimental value, as her father taught her to shoot on this rifle. But the bore looks rust free at this point, and I've removed most of the dirt from the breech, so why wouldn't it be safe to shoot?

And no, I'm not planning on spending any money here, I just hoped someone here was familiar with this thing.

And thanks for the reply and the link T. O'Heir.
Old May 23, 2017, 05:59 PM   #4
Ricklin

Sears

There are some great sleepers out there that say Sears on them, don't think yours is one of them.
The finest rifle in my safe is a Sears Model 50.

Most can be cross referenced to what they really are. Most are a lower cost version of a major manufacturer's gun. Plainer wood, maybe more basic sites or a little less polish to the finish.

Most were "cheap" guns in their day, including my Model 50. Compared to many of the guns made today they can be very nice, and the department store pedigree keeps the prices reasonable.

Savage, Winchester, High Standard, LC Smith, all sold guns through Sears. The LC Smith guns were sold under the LC Smith name tho. Usually the bargain guns were marked Sears, J.C. Higgins or later Ted Williams. Mine's a J.C. Higgins, he was actually a long term Sears employee.

Love those old Sears catalogs, now where's my time machine? That and a few hundred bucks is all a guy needs.
Old May 23, 2017, 06:00 PM   #5
Scorch

According to Hoosier Gun Works cross-reference, your rifle is a private branded Stevens 86. That may or may not be the case. If it is, it is a bolt action 22LR with a tube magazine. If it is, here is a parts diagram.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact.../86C-39859.htm
Old May 23, 2017, 06:08 PM   #6
Rangerrich99

Hey thanks, I think that might be the rifle. Now I'm off to do some research, I hope.
Old May 27, 2017, 04:13 PM   #7
Bluecthomas

I've got a 103.18, I think that's what it says anyways. Single shot bolt action .22

Also an inheritance piece. When I got it was in about the same shape as yours. Took it to a good gunsmith just around the corner from my house and got it cerrakote and stock refinished.
It's now as good looking as any of my new guns.

JC Higgins in general not worth the $300 those services cost. Probably not even worth the $150 neighbor price I paid.
But family piece I will never part with. It's original owner has probably looked down from heaven with a smile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170527_142313.jpg (231.7 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Bluecthomas; May 27, 2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old May 28, 2017, 08:21 AM   #8
g.willikers

Maybe it would be prudent not to dig into the innards of this old piece.
There's lots of ways to clean one without disassembly.
Just a thought.
Old May 28, 2017, 08:58 AM   #9
Buzzard Bait

It's Worthwhile

I think it's worthwhile to fix them up. When possible or practical , I mean it's not worth spending a lot of money but if the bore is good and all the parts are still there. Refinishing the wood and some oxpho blue on the metal with a little work it could be a nice addition especially if there are some memory's attached to it
bb