The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 1, 2014, 07:25 PM   #1
nanewt02

Sell or restore??

I picked up a crescent arms sxs 12 ga at the gun show today. All it needed was a firing pin which I intend to make. The insides are wearing some, and the left barrel has a dent that can only be seen with the light hitting it just right.
Maybe it was fixed awhile back, because it seems smoother than the rest of the barrel.
Anyway, I can sell it for an easy 50 dollar profit, or I can restore it. I'm starting to really like it and can't make up my mind. I know I couldn't get my money back doing a restoration but i would end up with a nice little gun.

What to do...
The barrels are not Damascus, would this be safe with smokeless shells by chance with a tight lockup
Old March 2, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2
PetahW

Since they were made before the ammo companies upgraded shotshell ammo in 1926, it would be unsafe to fire it with anything exept special, low-powered shotshells from the likes of RST, PolyWad, etc - and only then when/after a qualified doublegunsmith (not some parts-changer) inspects it & declares it's OK to shoot.

(just because a doublegun may feel "tight" to someone, or has shot it before w/o issues, doesn't necessarily mean it's safe to shoot)

Old March 2, 2014, 08:22 PM   #3
nanewt02

The barrels aren't perfectly tight, but it won't be a problem to fix if I restore it. You say 1926 is the year ammo was changed. I seem to recall reading that the "new empire" wasn't made until later on.
I think 1930 or 31