The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 13, 2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Walther22lr

Armi San Paolo 1860 question

I have recently come into the possession of an 1860 cap and ball revolver.

The barrel indicates it was made by ARMI SAN PAOLO - BRESCIA.

The date code is AD so I believe it was made in 1978.

Caliber is .44. The frame is case hardened steel and it has a brass trigger guard and brass backstrap.

It is in very good shape overall and appears to not have ever been fired or disassembled by its previous owner.

I understand Armi San Paolo was renamed Euroarms. A check of the Euroarms website does not show any Colt type of revolvers available at this time.

Is this a quality piece and are there spare parts available for it?

Or is it just a wall hanger?
Old February 13, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2
mykeal

Egads. Armi San Paolo, not Armi San Marco. I need to get some better glasses. Sorry, folks.

Last edited by mykeal; February 14, 2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Misread OP for ASM instead of ASP.
Old February 13, 2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Smokin_Gun

ASP or Armi San Paolo is a very well made product...google S&S for a Website and download the .pdf catalogue.
S and S Firearms
Purveyors of Military Americana
Established 1957
74-11 MYRTLE AVENUE, GLENDALE, NEW YORK 11385
Telephone 718-497-1100 Fax 718-497-1105
E-Mail [email protected]

And I will also say that the ASM or Armi San Marcos is a very good product also...

If you want to sell that ASP 1860 let me know and you can get a Pietta or Uberti of your choice.
Thanks in advance...PM me.

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old February 13, 2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Armi San Paolo changed it's name to Euroarms Italia in 2002 and is currently imported as Euroarms America. Their products are distributed by Cabelas, Dixie, and Navy Arms. Quality is on par with Pietta and Uberti. Their primary production now days is muzzleloading rifles; but they still make a repo of the Rogers and Spencer and '58 Remington.

An older 1860 by them should serve you well. You'd probably have to contact S&S Firearms (I had completely forgotten about them) or Euroarms of America for parts availability
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; February 14, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old February 15, 2009, 06:07 AM   #5
arcticap

Last month there was an unfired Euroarms stainless 1860 on Gunbroker that sold for $275.
I wasn't sure if it was stainless or polished steel, and the header also said it was a CVA.
It sure is a beautiful looking revolver.
Think it could really be stainless and a CVA?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=120247581

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pix2343293921.jpg (19.3 KB, 4686 views)
File Type: jpg pix2343293421.jpg (56.7 KB, 4659 views)
File Type: jpg pix2343293640.jpg (15.7 KB, 4653 views)

Last edited by arcticap; February 15, 2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old February 15, 2009, 11:52 AM   #6
mykeal

CVA's 1860 Army had a color case hardened frame; there's no record of them selling a stainless steel version. Euroarms Italia, on the other hand, made the 1860 Army in both brass and blued steel frame but no color case hardened or stainless steel frame. That suggests that the gun is really a Euroarms manufactured steel frame that has been deblued, polished and probably 'defarbed'.
Old February 15, 2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Quote mykeal
CVA's 1860 Army had a color case hardened frame; there's no record of them selling a stainless steel version. Euroarms Italia, on the other hand, made the 1860 Army in both brass and blued steel frame but no color case hardened or stainless steel frame. That suggests that the gun is really a Euroarms manufactured steel frame that has been deblued, polished and probably 'defarbed'.
My references indicate the same thing. When bprevolver publishes his book on repos we may have further information.

fm
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 15, 2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Hawg

It's not defarbed as you can see the markings in the pics.
Old February 15, 2009, 05:29 PM   #9
bprevolver

Armi San Paolo

Revolvers marked Armi San Paolo are very collectable. They became Euroarms and have not marked ASP for several years.
Old February 16, 2009, 03:04 AM   #10
Bootsie

Dont know if CVA imported the stainless version but ASP/Euroarms made 1860s in true stainless steel. I know because I owned one. Mine had a brass back-strap. There is a pic of this stainless ASP over at www.gripmaker.com with PU ivory grips.
Bootsie
Old February 17, 2009, 03:20 AM   #11
arcticap

Here it is:

http://www.gripmaker.com/guns/Wolf%20Mexican.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wolf%202.jpg (24.9 KB, 4576 views)
Old February 17, 2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Fingers McGee

When in doubt, go to the source. According to Euroarms of America, they (Armi San Paolo) made SS 1860s up until 1987.

FM

Here's the exchange:

----- Original Message -----
To: fingersmcgee
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: Stainless Steel 1860 Army.

Yes, the last time they are listed in our price list was in 1987.

Regards,
Euroarms of America, Inc,
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:43 PM
Subject: Stainless Steel 1860 Army.

Howdy,

I have a question concerning older Armi San Paolo/Euroarms cap and ball revolvers. Did Armi San Paolo or Euroarms ever make the Colt model 1860 Army pistol in stainless steel to sell either under their own name or for Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA) ??

Thank you in advance for your time and response.

I am your most humble and obedient servant

'Fingers McGee'
Old November 3, 2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Rawkfist

1873 Winchester Carbine Replica 44/40 made by Armi San Poalo

Howdy everyone.
I see that there are some pretty knowledgeable people here on Armi San Poalo aka Euroarms. I would like to sell my 1873 44/40 replica Winchester carbine but do not have a clue what I should ask. I bought it back in 1990 for about 650. It has only been fired once and appears in Mint condition. I have sent a email to Euroarms but am currently waiting for a response. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old November 3, 2013, 07:58 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

Walther22lr - some excellent sources for parts and some great information already given. I had several ASP products in past years - they functioned fine and never had any issues with them and the ones I had, were well made.

I don't know if Doc Hoy will chime in on this but he's worked on a lot of different brands - his mechanical genius astounds us all!

I'm thinking he may be a good one as he might know what internals will work or could be modified to work if you ever have problems or need to find parts and the suppliers given already don't have them.

It sounds like you have a good one - shoot it and enjoy it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 4, 2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Doc Hoy

It is my personal opinion...

...that ASP revolvers were very well manufactured in comparison to the contemporary products.

I have a stainless 1860 from ASP but the back strap and trigger guard are of steel like the rest of the revolver.

BP revolver is the authority on historical replicas. In my opinion, ASPs are desirable for two reasons:

1. Better manufacture
2. Rarer than other manufs of that period.

I love mine.

Tnx,