The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Buzzard1

HSB & Co Revonoc 12 Gauge

Today I found a list I made years ago of the guns I owned at the time. Only a few of those guns I still have. But one that I never got answers on was an HSB & Co Revonoc 12 gauge pump. The gun has an exposed hammer which was the reason I thought it was neat in the first place. I have never fired the old gun since I bought it, and its now tucked away in my parents safe as mine is full of the guns I may grab to go on a shoot.

It looks to me like a Marlin model 24 from pictures I have seen, I still have some pictures of it on my computer I will attach. Maybe somebody knows something about it. I would like to know what it may be worth? As I really am not appreciating the gun and am always on the hunt for something else to catch my eye, the extra money could come in handy to possible finish some projects.

I am assuming HSB & Co is a house brand of some sorts. If someone could give me a year, maybe what model/make the original is would be helpful.

Thanks
Buzz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(22).jpg (191.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg photo(23).jpg (202.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg photo(24).jpg (198.5 KB, 79 views)
Old May 31, 2013, 11:11 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

As far as I can tell, the gun is a Marlin Model 24. HSB was Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co., a big Chicago Hardware distributor. (After many years of mergers and acquisitions, they became Tru Value. Just Google the name for the whole company history.)

It is odd that both the HSB name and Revonoc would be on the same gun, as Revonoc guns were made for another hardware chain. Just spell "Revonoc" backward to find out its name.

Jim
Old June 1, 2013, 11:51 AM   #3
PetahW

BTW - You might want to be aware of this factory warning:

Marlin Issues Warning on Obsolete Shotguns

The age of these obsolete models is now 70 to 100 years. Unfortunately, Marlin has no records of manufacture such as materials, heat treatment procedures, or acceptance standards.
This combination of age and unknown metallurgy and life history in a large percentage of these units has prompted the company to strongly recommend against these guns being fired.

Of major concern are failures in the firing system, but there is no clear cut failure mode or sequence of events leading to such failures.

Models:1898, 16, 17, 19, 19S, 19G, 19N, 21, 24, 24G, 26, 30, 42, 49, & 49N exposed hammer slide action shotguns.

Models:28, 31, 43, 44, 53, & 63 hammerless slide action shotguns.

Caveat Emptor........................

Old June 1, 2013, 01:52 PM   #4
g.willikers

That does look a lot like the Marlin I once had, until a friend talked me out of it.
We both shot it quite a bit, with regular target loads.
It seemed quite safe and never did a thing wrong.
Enjoy.
Old June 1, 2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Buzzard1

Yeah I really do not have any reason to ever fire the gun. Another thing I was thinking about is that it has a pinch block on the end of the magazine tube. Maybe that can help some of you old timers identify this thing. I wish I had the gun here because its hard to remember everything about it. I havent seen it in a few weeks.

I remember the pinch button on the magazine tube and that it has A-G written somewhere on it. Maybe that was the model number. If that is the case it has me thinking its a marlin model 19g.