The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 28, 2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Nathan

Burris AR-536 opinions or experience....other fixed power BDC optic + red dot?

I really like the idea of a fixed 4x to 6x scope with a BDC and a red dot reflex optic setup on my AR.

Has anyone run this setup? How's it working out? Weight ok?

Is the Burris AR-536 a good place to start?

Leupold HAMR is probably great, but I'm feeling like I have $400 now and maybe $300 later to complete this transition at most. Would like to spend $600 max!
Old March 29, 2013, 01:35 AM   #2
alex0535

If your considering the Burris Fastfire III 3 MOA dot I have been more than pleased with mine, nothing but great things to say about it. It has taken a few squirrels since I mounted it on the Henry .22. When deer season rolls around it is going to be sitting on the Marlin 336 .30-30 and I expect it to work great for that job.

Burris makes some pretty good mounts for putting a dot on top of a scope.

Adding a FFIII will add negligible amount of weight to your rifle if you are comfortable with the weight of it with a scope on it. It is very small, built to handle more recoil than the AR generates. I don't expect to need to change the battery for a long time.

I have heard good things about the Burris AR-536 and AR-332. I like that they can be illuminated or work turned off.
Old March 30, 2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Nathan

Nutnfancy AR15 Optic Video

This is a pretty good AR optic discussion. It was worth the 53 min of my life. He discusses "real" AR optic use. Some key points:
- Weight - Sure the $2000 big name scopes are great, but they take the fight out of a fighting rifle quick.
- Field of View - This is what allows you to see and shoot well at smell their breath distances.
- Turrets - on a short range 25 - 300yd(not his ranges) these are just weight. A BDC reticle will get you on target quicker in a short range rifle. Also, tactical turrets are costing money in the design which takes away from glass, coatings, etc.
- Objectives - A ring size objective is really too small, especially for night shooting. Something is the 30's is good. 40's and 50 are large for an AR SRT(Short Range Tactical)
- Toughness - If you can avoid banging your scope on the door of an armored vehicle, a normal size/weight scope will be fine.
- math is better than money - This is something I have drawn from real life also. That is a 2x scope with a 30mm objective is pretty bright in any reasonably priced scope. This is due to the exit pupil(30/2=15mm) being soooo large. A 10x scope with 30mm objective has a 3mm exit pupil. Now, a 10x30 can be built that equals the 2x30's brightness, but that costs $3000 for the coatings and glass.
- Non-critical eye relief - This is the key to an SRT scope. Pick the rifle up and shoot. No adjusting. This is why EO Tech's are fast!
-1x - 3x is OK on the bottom end - 3x is a hair slow and a hair dark at night on a SRT, but doable. I like 1x - 2x. This also allows me the smallest possible objective.

He lists by model some really pretty good choices. Well, I'm off to Cabela's to look around more today!

So in a nutshell, I'm going to look for a lightweight 1x - 4x or better a 2x - 7x with a 1" or 30mm tube and ~35mm objective.