The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2011, 04:54 PM   #1
jtmckinney

357 Sig And Lead Bullets

Can 357 Sig be reloaded with lead bullets?

The loading manual I have "Lyman-Pistol & Revolver Third Edition" only recommends jacketed bullets. It says "Unfortunately, the short neck of the 357 SIG proved unsuitable for use with any of Lyman's cast bullets".

I thought I would buy some lead bullets to reduce my cost for practice ammo.

The bullets I am considering are these < http://www.friendswoodbullet.com/9mm...76_306871.aspx >. I will shoot 147 grain HP/XTP's when in the field.

I did some searching on line but all I could find were refferences to 9mm.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old January 20, 2011, 07:08 PM   #2
jepp2

Quote:
I thought I would buy some lead bullets to reduce my cost for practice ammo.
What velocity are you looking for? The 357 Sig is a pretty hot round. If you are going to reduce the load for lead, a 9mm might be a better choice (in case you have one).

I don't know how much you are going to save by using lead. The bullets will be $.06 each + shipping. You could be shooting Montana Gold jacketed for $.08 including shipping if you buy in bulk.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I stick with jacketed in my 357 Sigs and use lead in my 9mm's.
Old January 20, 2011, 09:05 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

I suggest ensuring no possible bullet setback in your 357 SIG handloads.

If in your search for lead-bullet published data you find none you might carefully consider why......
Old January 20, 2011, 09:09 PM   #4
jtmckinney

Thanks "jepp2" for your reply.

I shoot a Glock 24 (6 in. barrel) probably a Gen 2 with a Storm Lake drop in barrel. I am totally happy with the combination. I am getting low 1,300 fps with 7.6 grains 800X and 147 grain HP/XTP.

My question is more related to the short neck of the 357 Sig and cast lead bullets. Is this real or only Lyman lawyering up? If I can save money then that is money I can spend elsewhere.

James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old January 20, 2011, 09:14 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Lyman data is generated with bullets cast from Lyman moulds.

What do your other data sources offer?
Old January 20, 2011, 10:01 PM   #6
jtmckinney

Quote: "What do your other data sources offer?"

I haven't been able to find any other data sources with suggested loads for cast lead or even plated bullets for 357 Sig (maybre that is what I need to be paying attention to). But I haven't been able to fine any explinations as to why 357 Sig is not suitable to hard cast lead bullets except for the Lyman manual which specifically reffers to its lead bullets.

Thanks for the reply.
James
Old January 20, 2011, 10:28 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

If I remember correctly there is no listed data for .357 Sig. with plated bullets due to the fact that they do not have a cannulure for crimping. ( could be wrong. I think it was on the site for Berry's)
Old January 20, 2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Rangefinder

Ask and thou shall receive...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...169#post886169

Quote:
If in your search for lead-bullet published data you find none you might carefully consider why......
And the answer to that would be.... "Because it hasn't caught on enough to put out a wide variety of test data for---and CYA by the manufacturers since it's not the easiest thing to load for in a cast bullet format."

On the other hand, there are some of us who shoot cast bullets through anything and everything--with wonderful success every day.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Last edited by Rangefinder; January 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:48 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

That isn't the kind of "published data" I was referring to......
  1. I was speaking more of Speer / Lyman / Hornady / Sierra / Nosler / etc....
Old January 21, 2011, 08:05 AM   #10
Don P

Weshoot2 in post #3 says it all. Many of the competition shooters that I shoot with are running 357SIg and all are shooting FMJ. Makes you wonder why???????
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 21, 2011, 08:39 AM   #11
jtmckinney

Thanks to all who responded. Rangefinder that was the kind of link I was looking for. Very informative. I have no plans to cast my own at this time but the idea is very interesting and I may in the future. I also liked the "we can do it" attitude.

I agree, 357 Sig is a challenging reload. I also realize that even if I make and shoot 1,000 with no problems but the 1,001 shot blows up my gun with possible injury that is not good enough.

I think I will try this but proceed cautiously.

Once again Thanks!
James
Old February 19, 2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Poohgyrr

"old" thread, but thanks for the link to cast boolits. Appreciate it and good info.