The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 6, 2016, 11:19 AM   #1
Jedwa

Mossberg 510 improve

# 1, I'm really glad to be a new member. I have a Mossberg 510 that I want to do some improvements on. Please forgive any wrong words that I use because I'm pretty new to this hobby. I'm trying to find out if anyone manufactures a mag extension for my 510, also I understand that I have to have another barrel for the gun. Why, and where can I find these items. I appreciate any help that I can receive on this question. Thanks very much
Old August 6, 2016, 11:23 AM   #2
g.willikers

For those, like myself, who aren't familiar with the 510, here's the Mossberg web page:
http://www.mossberg.com/product/510-...e-field-50485/

Why do you need another barrel?
And the mag extension?
Old August 6, 2016, 12:04 PM   #3
natman

The Mossberg 510 holds the barrel on via a large bolt in the barrel lug that screws into threads in the end of the mag tube. Since the end of the mag tube is closed, you can't add on a mag extension. You have to change the mag tube to a longer one and use a barrel with the lug relocated to the corresponding position.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...prod25124.aspx

I'd consider buying a long mag / barreled 500 and adding a short stock and selling the 510 as an alternative.
Old August 6, 2016, 01:34 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

For the $179.99 the conversion kit costs you can go out and buy another shotgun with that 8 shot magazine.
Old August 6, 2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Model12Win

OP depending on your situation, don't be too in a hurry to get an 8 or 9 shot Mossberg.

When fully loaded, the things are HEAVY.

I think the 6-shot models are ideal. Enough capacity for defense or hunting, but handle nicely. I've got an M590A1 with heavy wall barrel and heatshield, 9 shot model, and it is VERY HEAVY with a full tube of buckshot or 1 oz slugs.
Old August 6, 2016, 03:55 PM   #6
FITASC

Quote:
Enough capacity for .........hunting,
If you can legally load 6 for hunting. I never felt the need for more than three in the gun - safety-wise and handling-wise it gets too onerous.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 6, 2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Blindstitch

As long as you aren't hunting a federal animal that limits you to 3 shots and your state has no limit you're good.

In Wisconsin the only rule is no fully automatic guns. If you want a 10 shot magazine, 30 shot magazine or bump up to a semi automatic belt fed you're good to go.

But if you're hunting geese you better only have 3 in the gun.
Old August 6, 2016, 09:04 PM   #8
Blindstitch

As for capacity of the 510 save your money and buy another gun if you wish. Or check out the aquila mini shells that are about half length. Some guns like them and some don't.