The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2012, 01:51 PM   #1
edistoriverrat

380 magtech bullets

Guys, I need some help, with 380 magtech 95gr FMC RN
I am new to reloading, and I can't find any info for this bullet.
This is what I have.
Magtech 95 gr FMC RN
Win 231 powder
Win WSP primers
Miscell cases
Magtech says to use other bullet info. They are no help at all.
Hodgdon says for Speer 95g FMJ 2.9g to 3.2g col .970 with my powder
My little 380 manual says Speer 95g TMJ RN 3.6 to 4.0
I would have started with in between, but the BETWEEN is way to different.
That being as close as I can find, there is too much of a difference in those two bullets.
Does anyone have a recipie using these componets or something usuable that I can feel comfortable with.
I do not have the larger reload manuals, just the small 380 book.
Thanks
Old June 12, 2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Uncle Buck

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Check the powder manufacturers website.

I think I would start around 3.1 grains of powder (about half-way between the two spreads [2.1 - 4.0 grains] reduced by 10%.

You will hardly ever find the exact recipe for the exact components you have on hand, unless you buy every thing all at once.

Welcome to The Firing Line. Be careful, check your measurements and weights twice and have fun. These guys are pretty darn helpful here when you have questions.
Old June 12, 2012, 11:32 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

In order to understand the difference in that data, you need to pay attention to how each company obtained the data. In this case, Speer tested their loads in a Walther PP (an actual pistol), where Hodgdon used a universal receiver and a pressure barrel (far from a pistol).

Speer watched the case, primer, and pistol for signs of pressure; and didn't stop until they had obvious pressure signs.
But, Hodgdon watched their pressure equipment, and stopped when they hit an indicated maximum pressure.
As is shown by the quoted figures, you get very different results with different methods. What you think is better, is entirely up to you.

Another possibility is data for the Hornady XTP. It also has a similar bearing surface.
Hornady data is split, for 90 grain and 100 grain bullets.
My suggestion here would be 3.0-3.6 gr @ .970". ...which just happens to match up with what Uncle Buck suggested, as well.
Old June 13, 2012, 05:00 AM   #4
edistoriverrat

Thanks everyone, I went with the 3.2 gr, and shot the first 10 rounds with no problems.
I did not know new bags of brass had to be trimed to length also. I bought two bags of brand new Winchester 380 brass, and two cases in the bags were the same length as a 9mm case, it had 380 head stamp and all other diminsions were correct, just the length, then had one case in another bag that was 380 but the bullet just droped into the case,and I could put a piece of paper around the bullet. It was ok after I resized it again. Now I will have to check all new brass too.
Thanks again all,