The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old March 15, 2014, 10:43 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Man am i mad!!!!!

today at walmart i found a savage 11 in 243 with a nikon scope. it was only 449 and i should have known better.

the is a sticker on the stock that says it has the accustock. i get home take it apart to adjust the trigger and low and behold NO ACCUSTOCK!!

i am very frustrated if the rifle was advertised as being with an accustock and dually marked as such the i would think that if i got ahold of savage they would provide one for me. this is really irritating as i would not have bought the rifle if it did not have an accustock.

what should i do??
Old March 15, 2014, 11:06 PM   #2
nemesiss45

Call savage, see what they say... if they cant help, go get a refund.
Old March 15, 2014, 11:17 PM   #3
kilotanker22

bought the gun at walmart as per wal mart policy i must take up any dispute with the firearm with the company and wal mart has no liability to the product
Old March 15, 2014, 11:38 PM   #4
Sharkbite

I would think that if Wally-world miss advertised the product they have some liability

Prob wont get anywhere at the store level but they have bosses and those bosses have bosses.

The manufacture might help just for good customer service but they sold the rifle as model X. No control over how its marketed from there

Hmmm just outta curiosity... How is the box marked. S/N matches the rifle and box says accu-stock. Now you got something for the manufacture to fix
Old March 16, 2014, 12:06 AM   #5
Metal god

Quote:
How is the box marked. S/N matches the rifle and box says accu-stock. Now you got something for the manufacture to fix
Yeah and I was also thinking if you call Savage and give them the S/N they will have a record of what type of stock that rifle should have came with . It may take some time but I think you will be able to find out what went wrong .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 16, 2014, 12:09 AM   #6
kilotanker22

ok the serial number matches the gun from the box. the box does not say anything about an accustock but it appears as though the sticker was placed on the stock from the factory. i will post a pic in a few minutes. also it has the smooth barrel nut.
Old March 16, 2014, 12:20 AM   #7
kilotanker22

here is a pic of the sticker the barrel nut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0086.JPG (103.4 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0085.JPG (35.7 KB, 220 views)
Old March 16, 2014, 01:08 AM   #8
guruatbol

I asked my wife who is an assistant manager at WalMart. she said to contact the Assistant Manager over sporting goods and explain to them what has happened. she was not sure if WalMart can help with either contact info or pushing the issue with Savage.

She did say you can not bring the weapon back into the building and all gun sales are final. She is pretty sure that any good assistant should be able to help get you in touch with the right person at Savage to get this issue resolved.

Savage obviously made an error in labeling and should stand behind the purchase.

Mel
Old March 16, 2014, 01:09 AM   #9
KnightofCydonia

The way that sticker is put on all crooked, maybe somebody just pasted it on. Aren't the Accustock stickers usually on the buttstock?
Old March 16, 2014, 02:30 AM   #10
bamaranger

Ya know.....

No accu-stock,hate to hear anybody getting ripped. That said, I bet the darn thing still shoots lights out.
Old March 16, 2014, 07:33 AM   #11
4runnerman

Has to be a glitch. Only one version of the Model 11 has a Accustock. The long range hunter,all others do not have it. The sticker does not look right either.
Old March 16, 2014, 09:47 AM   #12
kilotanker22

Ya know..... i bet it still shoots lights out.

oh yeah i bet it does. savages always do. i mean i will sill keep and shoot this gun and it is pillar bedded however just dissapointed.

i called the walmart where i bought it and they said the best thing that they can do is contact their distributor. and that i would have to contact savage myself.

i sent an email to savage this morning so hopefully i will hear back from them this week sometime
Old March 16, 2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Metal god

Google accu-stock and then click on the images tab. Looking through those you can see what the stickers should look like and where they should have been placed . My sticker was long and oblong under the forend . I don't remember a sticker on the buttstock but does not mean it was not there . I think your sticker was put there by mistake or other means . A quick sereach gave me the same results as 4runnerman no model 11s with accu-stock in that price range $750+ is what I see .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 16, 2014, 11:01 AM   #14
mete

A problem with Walmart is that their specs for an item may not be the same [cheaply made ! ] as that item from a standard dealer.Even though they have the same model number !!!
Old March 16, 2014, 11:31 AM   #15
Sharkbite

Quote:
.A problem with Walmart is that their specs for an item may not be the same [cheaply made ! ] as that item from a standard dealer.Even though they have the same model number !!!
Are you saying that a savage rifle sold by walmart differs from the same model sold at say, Cabalas??

I find that hard to swallow
Old March 16, 2014, 12:08 PM   #16
Chris_B

so, Walmart accepts no repsonsibility? How can that be? For instance, you open the box and it has bricks in it instead of a firearm. Walmart had a reasonable responsibility to provide what you paid for , it seems to me, regardless of their stated policy. Just because they state a policy, that doesn't mean Walmart writes the laws or is exempt from your location's laws.
Old March 16, 2014, 12:20 PM   #17
taylorce1

Unfortunately I doubt Savage will do anything for you, as the rifle you bought will have a serial number for a non-accustock model regardless of the sticker put on it. The serial number is the important thing to them not a sticker that could have been placed on the stock by just about anyone and may not have been done at the factory. I hope Savage tells you something different, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

With a little research beforehand you could have saved some of the headache. Accustock rifles use a different recoil lug and it is noticeable without having to take apart the rifle.

Note the difference in the two lugs, the recoil lug for the accustock is the more square.

From the top the recoil lug on the accustock will be a little smaller in diameter than the receiver and barrel nut.

Where the standard recoil lug is the same size as the receiver.

What you bought is a Savage Trophy hunter package, and it should be a very accurate rifle. You can always upgrade the stock or shoot it as is. I don't feel the Accustock is worth the extra money Savage wants for one, on average $300 extra.
Old March 16, 2014, 02:07 PM   #18
Metal god

Quote:
I don't feel the Accustock is worth the extra money Savage wants for one, on average $300
^^^AGREED^^^!!!!!

I've had a few problems with mine . Some my bad and others the stock itself . If I knew then what I know now I would have skipped the accu-stock and put that money into a after market stock . Here's the kicker , Now that I have the accu-stock and the bolt release is different for that stock . There are far less aftermarket stocks to choose from now. It's getting better but I can't just buy a stock for a model 10 . It must have the bolt release in the trigger guard area . I think in the long run you will be much better off with what you have .

Old March 16, 2014, 02:32 PM   #19
guruatbol

Quote:
A problem with Walmart is that their specs for an item may not be the same [cheaply made ! ] as that item from a standard dealer.Even though they have the same model number !!!
Ok, so you know that is an urban legend. I as noted above have first hand knowledge. Yes there are some, very few, items that are manufactured just for Walmart. These are things like Value brand food items, dog food and bicycles. Firearms carry too much liability for this to happen. The Walmart weapons are from the same assembly line as any other weapons.

Walmart is very aware of liability and will not assume any liability from any custom made product. COSTCO on the other hand has many products that are just COSTCO. They are generally a cut above the name brand.

At Walmart the Value brand foods are made from the name brand manufacturers and for the most part are just as good. Some are not. Their dog food is junk!

I do hope this clears up the myth of the name brand folks making substandard items for Walmart. This is also a huge burden on the mfg process and likely would cost more anyway.

Mel
Old March 16, 2014, 02:43 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Are you saying that a savage rifle sold by walmart differs from the same model sold at say, Cabalas??

I find that hard to swallow
Choke on it all you want, but....

Walmart has been partnering with gun companies since the late '70s and early '80s, to produce "value" versions of existing models. It might share the same model number as a rifle you can buy at your local gun shop, but the Walmart contract specifies lower quality standards and cheaper materials.
Remington does it.
Winchester has done it.
Marlin does it.
Savage does it.
Weatherby does it.
H&R has done it.
Smith and Wesson has done it.
Mossberg does it.

Some manufacturers even have model numbers that specifically denote that they were built for a Walmart contract (even if you find them elsewhere). The Marlin 336W is a perfect example. The "W" stands for "Walmart".
Walmart wanted their own, cheaper version of the 336C, and contracted with Marlin to build it. Over the years, the specs have varied, but the bottom line has always been: cheaper stocks, cheaper sights, crappy checkering (if any), no Marlin Bullseye, lower standards for bore and groove dimensions, (generally) no accessories included, and lower quality control standards for fit and finish.

When you're offering to buy 20,000 of a specific model, over X number of years, you tend to get the mainstream gun companies' attention.
Old March 16, 2014, 04:01 PM   #21
dgludwig

Imo, there's nothing wrong with having a "value" version of a given firearm (it's been done by stores like Sears, Western Auto, Montgomery Wards, etc. for decades) so long as the buyer is made aware of the variance via a different model number or a defining description . But to make the argument that Wal Mart is deliberately marketing a firearm that is of a lower quality than its counterpart but claiming it to be identical (same model numbers-i.e., a "Wal Mart" Model 700 masquerading as a Remington Model 700) is hard to swallow.
I've seen this bit of misinformation parading in the internet as fact for years but I've yet to see any real evidence supporting the claim. If someone can empirically verify the allegation, I'd love to see it. Until then, I agree with guruatbol's assessment: "urban legend".
Old March 16, 2014, 04:01 PM   #22
kilotanker22

Frankenstein Mauser I am not buying that. Do you have proof?

Any way the rifle is in as good a condition as any. The stock is actually a bit nicer than usual it has a different design for checkering. Kinda reminds me of a tikka the bolt is jeweled the pillars in the stock seem to be perfect and the receiver fits the stock very tightly.

Even the savage axis rifles get the same barrels as the model 10 rifles just less machining on the receiver and trigger.

It is kinda obsured to think that a firearms manufacturer would degrade the quality of a product just because of who sells it. Besides those rifles still have to meet saami minimum and maximum dimentions.

O yeah and if savage for example intentionally made them of lower quality materials and process why in gods name would they ever warranty it?
Old March 16, 2014, 04:20 PM   #23
4runnerman

Im not sure if I believe it either. The Walmart here Moorhead MN,sells 50cal Black Powder. I have checked Model numbers as I shop around, Same Model and everything as name brad sporting goods stores.
Old March 16, 2014, 04:39 PM   #24
guruatbol

Back when Kalifornia was a free state, my grandfather bought a 20g side by side shotgun from mongomery wards. it is a wards model and has a specific serial number to the wards gun. I don't remember who the manufacturer is, but it is a value brand 20 g shotgun.

When you look at the firearms in Walmart, check the serial numbers and model numbers. You will see they are the same ones sold at Cabela's for instance and other places. If they were to be specific to WalMart, they would have some sort of specific notation. Frankly WalMart does not sell enough firearms to warrant a special model built just for them. Sportsman's warehouse and Cabela's on the other hand do. They don't because of the tremendous liability.

I too would love to see proof.

Sorry for the Hijack guys.

To address the OP, I am waiting to hear what Savage says. they are a good company and don't see why they would stand behind their advertisement. Also if I were the OP, I would already have contacted WalMart Corporate. Once the people at the store level could not help you, you should if the matter is important to you, escalate the issue. Believe you me, they will take notice and as we all know, WalMart is all about treatment of the individual and the customer is always right, always. I hear from my wife all the time about how the customer was really wrong and WalMart gave them what they wanted anyway. The store level, even though there is no return of the item should have offered a store credit of some sort to make it right at the very least.

Mel
Old March 16, 2014, 04:43 PM   #25
nemesiss45

No manufacturer would degrade the quality their product line so walmart could sell their rifles cheaper... not only would it be false advertising, it would hurt the reputation of quality of said product line.
They would and do, however, make budget variants and model lines for distributors... but those are clearly advertized with their appropriate specs.

The issue here is not whether the OPs rifle is a budget model or not, it is the sticker on it, falsely indicating the rifle had an accustock. The model number and official specs of the rifle are impertinent to the fact that walmart sold the OP a rifle under the pretense that it has an accustock. It does not, thus walmart owes him a refund. If they are unable to offer him a refund due to the nature of the purchase, they need to find an acceptable solution. Im no lawyer, but this is pretty cut and dry... they sold a falsely labled product.

Last edited by nemesiss45; March 16, 2014 at 04:50 PM.
Closed Thread