The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Fosgate5

Browning A-5 & Win Model 12 restoration opinions?

I've got 2 shotguns that belonged to my father. One is a Browning A-5 Light Twelve. Another Is a Winchester Model 12 he used prior to receiving the A-5 as a wedding present from my mother in 1966. I've been wanting to track down an Old A-5 that is in nearly new condition as a collection piece and the same with a Model 12.

First about the A-5 Light Twelve. It does not have the vent rib but is the Belgium barrel. And here is where a bit of my problem lies, it has a swollen area in the barrel from expansion, not horrible but noticeable and probably no way to make it perfect. Secondly I'm not certain if it is the original as there was an older A-5 he had used for parts. I wish I could find the older one just to find out how old. But I do recall they were both the same non vent rib style but the choke may have been different. I do not have the original furniture for it also. I look at the gun for pitting and it is not real bad but that is because we went through two efforts at home to keep rust from advancing. Last effort was probably 2000. Even though we have not fired more than a box of shells through it in twenty years. I'm thinking it would need at least barrel replacement, furniture,professional reblue/refinish and someone to go over the etching on the receiver. I don't have anything in the gun financially but I'm thinking the condition I could bring it up to would be less than finding another in as good condition. I was considering having midwest gun works do the restoration since I had bought synthetic furniture during my last attempt to preserve the gun. http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...-5-gunsmithing
On the Bottom of the receiver there is 5G then 842xx for serial# (1965 Light Weight Designation)
Left side of receiver reads in script "Light Twelve" and "Browning" with an etching portrait of Browning.
Barrel reads on top "Browning Arms Company St Louis MO
Right side of barrel read "Made in Belgium"
Left side of the barrel reads "*Special Steel-12GA-Shells 2 3/4" and next to that in a deeper stamp reads"0Kg904" and a few other symbols I cant make out.

The Model 12 has hardly been shot since the 60's. I had made an attempt in high school during the late 80's to refinish the furniture and reblue it and I have not touched it since. Like the Browning I have nothing financially invested in these but they are both heirlooms. I want to preserve them but is worth the money to just restore them and in the process having my collection piece. I'm not sure who I would have restore this piece. Any recommendations would be great.
Model 12 reads 1178xx for sn# and behind the trigger guard it a stamp marked "ED"

Opinions? Should it be done? How much do you think it will cost? Who to restore? etc.

Swell shows up slightly in the light my the seam of my index and middle finger.

Last edited by Fosgate5; July 31, 2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old July 31, 2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Fosgate5

Old July 31, 2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Fosgate5

Sight on the Browning A-5
Old July 31, 2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Fosgate5

Barrel of the Browning A-5

Behind the trigger on Model-12
Old August 1, 2011, 01:05 AM   #5
.300 Weatherby Mag

For the model 12, I must recommend Simmons Gunsmithing... They've been dealing model 12s and 42s since 1945 and are considered to be the the experts in regards to these two guns.. They do excellent work... I'm trying to find a beater model 12 and have them restore it and modify it to an 1100 skeet clone..

http://simmonsguns.com/
Old August 1, 2011, 02:34 AM   #6
old roper

Fosgate5, With the steel shot some of the older shotguns have lost value so not much value in the model 12 12 ga like there use to be.

My dad wasn't into shooting but I did got some things after he passed away and I left them like he had use them. I do keep them clean but that it.

Me I do the same if he had left me firearms of any type.
Old August 1, 2011, 02:42 AM   #7
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Fosgate5, With the steel shot some of the older shotguns have lost value so not much value in the model 12 12 ga like there use to be.
Even the beater 12 gauge, full choke guns are hard to find for under $500...
Old August 1, 2011, 01:50 PM   #8
BigJimP

Like .300 Weatherby advised ....Simmons has a good reputation ...and I would certainly talk to them about what you want done.

However, I think you're going to end up paying at least $1,000 - maybe
$ 2,000 per gun ....to get them anywhere near full "top notch collectable restored" status ...and then some collectors won't want them - because you restored them. Are you ever going to get your money out of them - if you fully restore them - no, probably not.

I see a lot of these at the gunshows / but I rarely see many being sold ...most of us have some of these old guns in our safes ...that have come down from grandpa or whatever .../ and we all look at them ...but we rarely buy one. I'd seriously suggest you put them away as part of your collection ...get a good gunsmith to check out the one with the bulge in the barrel - and make sure its safe to shoot / because it may not be !!
Old August 1, 2011, 02:05 PM   #9
Scorch

The Model 12 has already been worked on, the A5 has a replacement barrel on it and the wood has been replaced. I think either one is a candidate for refinishing as long as you don't mind spending money to have it done right. Refinishing the A5 wood will cost you about $250-ish, refinishing and rebluing the metal correctly will easily run $350-$400. Pretty much the same for the Model 12 as long as the wood and metal have not been worried away by overly ambitious previous refinishing attempts, otherwise figure on spending more than that.

Can you find someone to do it cheaper? Sure. Will it look OK? Sure. Will it be confused for a mint factory gun? No. My advice would be to pay to have it done right or leave it alone.
Old August 4, 2011, 12:27 PM   #10
rsnell

http://wrightsgunsmiths.com/

The only gunsmiths for Model 97 and Model 12 Shotguns.

Bob