The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 3, 2011, 11:16 PM   #26
youngunz4life

only reason I haven't bought my S&W 629 yet

Quote:
The main thing is to figure out your size and DOUBLE it - you'll be surprised how fast you run out of room, especially when momma wants her "good" jewelry in there, titles and deeds, etc........
Old March 4, 2011, 06:01 AM   #27
Adirondack

Quote:
Some safes companies lie. I would not do business with any company who intentionally misprepresents their products. There are companies who claim they are selling US made safes when they are not.

I also don't like hearing people complain about Chinese safes, when they own many other Chinese items. I can't tell you how many times people approach me at a gun show, complain about imported safes, and everything that they are wearing (and every gun they have with them) is imported.

After looking at your website I was not impressed by the safes you sell. My sturdy safe is far superior!!!! Buy American, buy a sturdy safe!!!
With all due respect, you sound like a safe salesmen
Old March 4, 2011, 07:50 AM   #28
lmccrock

I was a bit surprised to see Tractor Supply selling safes, Cannon and Winchester. I got a Cannon 10+ years ago, mechanical lock, and have been happy. Check into delivery; mine was delivered with no additional charge but the dealer was local.

Lee
Old March 5, 2011, 11:05 AM   #29
a1abdj

Quote:
After looking at your website I was not impressed by the safes you sell. My sturdy safe is far superior!!!! Buy American, buy a sturdy safe!!!!
The safes shown on my website represent a very small percentage of what I have available.

I'm assuming you didn't wander over to the vault section where I'm selling the 100% American, 100% restored by American Labor, using 100% old school American craftsmanship antique vault doors. That's where the impressive stuff is. There's not much about gun safes that is impressive.

I'm assuming all of the guns, ammo, and accessories in your American built Sturdy safe are also made right here in the US by US owned companies?

Quote:
Well I do sell safes.......
Old March 5, 2011, 01:08 PM   #30
Idahoser

Once you get past the school lockers and start looking at real heavy-duty gun safes, there doesn't seem to be all that much one safe can offer over another if they're both well-built and well designed. We're talking about a box with a door.

Fire protection in a safe is always provided with drywall. Put in your own or add more if you want.

Mechanical only for my lock.

Interior 'furniture' is pretty, but they're never going to offer one that works perfectly for you, you should do your own.

Hinges:
external hinges can be completely cut off and it won't let the burglar into your safe. However, because it's a tempting target for less intelligent burglars, you now have a safe with no hinges. Good luck getting in and out of it after you get home. I like the internal hinge design better.

I bought a Heritage and it's already too small.
Old March 5, 2011, 09:12 PM   #31
a1abdj

Quote:
external hinges can be completely cut off and it won't let the burglar into your safe. However, because it's a tempting target for less intelligent burglars, you now have a safe with no hinges. Good luck getting in and out of it after you get home.
A tempting target is a good thing to have on a safe. The more time the bad guy(s) spend on something that won't open the safe, the less time they will have to spend on something that will open the safe.

After a burglary, chances are good you'll need a safe tech to open the safe anyway. Hinges or no hinges. Dials and handles are usually also knocked off, bent, or punched.

External hinges actually give you better support, a wider range of opening, allow the door to be removed much easier, and the hinges are easily rebuilt in the future. Safes with internal hinges also tend to delete the fire protection where the hinges need to travel when the door is shut.

Internal hinges are good only for aesthetic purposes.
Old March 6, 2011, 05:54 AM   #32
TheJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1abdj

I have visited your site quite a bit. I wish I had a larger budget and lived close by you. In all seriousness, I sincerely appreciate your honest participation and the sound logic you have provided to my thread. Thank you.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:46 AM   #33
bushrod2

Both my sons bought CENTURY safes at Lowes for $249.00 reg. $459.00 Once or twice a year they have a sale and they go quick. Heavy duty, combination lock etc.Carpet lined interior. Good for rifles, handguns, ammo. etc.
Old March 23, 2011, 07:55 PM   #34
Adirondack

Quote:
Quote:
Frank that wasn't meant to be a shot at you nor was it directed your way. I know you sell some high end, high quality TL rated safes and do also give good advice on these forums.

I do think Sturdy makes a great product that meets a lot of peoples needs including my own and I know there are other fine gun safes that also would do the same without breaking the bank.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:21 AM   #35
Smilin Jack

#1 for Heritage safes. I looked at a lot and compared them all. It's the most bang for the buck but a little out of your price range......but worth it.
History will never record how many men have performed great deeds because they were driven out of their homes by some unbearable trait of their wives, from which they fled, almost joyfully, to face as an alternative peril and even death.
Major John Reid
Old March 24, 2011, 08:30 AM   #36
Skans

If you are looking for a safe mainly for home security reasons, I would suggest that you make sure it has 3 things: at least 1/4" steel body - (if it has that, the door, etc. will be strong enough); good S&G mechanical lock; bolt-holes in the bottom so that it can be bolted into the floor.