The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 2, 2009, 09:28 PM   #1
smince

Alabama House Bill 2

As you know, Alabama prohibits private ownership of SBR/SBS's due to wording in the State law. Earlier this year, my local Rep (Todd Greeson) and a co-sponsor started a Bill to get this prohibition removed and allow for ownership by those who can comply to NFA standards.

This is somewhat detailed here: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=338775

The previous bill died in session, but is due to be reintroduced as HB2 when the legislature reconvenes.

I ask all Alabama citizens to write or call your Reps and ask them to support this bill when it comes to a vote. I have also contacted NRA-ILA to ask their support of this bill, but if any of you have any contacts there, please ask them personally.

Thanks for any and all help

Scott Mince
Old November 2, 2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Bigjim3

Thanks for the heads up.
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old November 9, 2009, 05:56 PM   #3
smince

UPDATE:

I received this from NRA-ILA today:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Mince,

Thanks for contacting NRA-ILA.

This legislation was endorsed by NRA-ILA last year, and we were successful in getting through the House; however, we couldn't get it through the Senate because it was near the end of the session.

It will be re-introduced in the next session and we will be working very hard to see this pass. We will be sure to keep you updated on the status of this legislation.

Thank you,
Miranda Bond
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division
www.nraila.org
Old November 20, 2009, 03:04 AM   #4
bamaranger

let me show my ignorance

Saw the AL thread. What is an SBR/SBS??????? Suppressor?????
Old November 20, 2009, 03:11 AM   #5
bamaranger

got it!!!!!!!!!!!

short bbl rifle-"" "" shotgun

duh!!!!!!!its late.
Old November 23, 2009, 03:07 PM   #6
shooter_john

Wow...good news. Just last night I was thinking of how I'd like to build an SBR upper w/ my Christmas funds! Hopefully this one will work out.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:03 AM   #7
smince

The SBR Bill (HB2, sponsored by Jeremy Oden) is in the Judiciary Comittee and scheduled for action on 01/20/2010

[HB2-Short-barreled rifles or short-barreled shotguns, possession, sale, receipt, obtaining, or use, prohibited, penalties, Sec. 13A-11-63 repealed]

Below are members of the House Judiciary Committee that need to be contacted. Can you help me spread the word?

Marcel Black; Chair
Charles Newton; Vice Chair
Steve McMillan
Spencer Collier
Paul DeMarco
Chris England
Laura Hall
Tammy Irons
Jamie Ison
John Robinson
Yusuf Salaam
Howard Sanderford
Cam Ward

Some have personal emails listed at:
http://www.legislature.state.al.us/h...ter_alpha.html

Those who do not can be reached at [email protected]

Thanks for any help you can give on this.
Old January 19, 2010, 07:57 AM   #8
smince

Thread Bump
Old January 20, 2010, 04:05 PM   #9
smince

Just heard from a friend of Todd Greeson (our local Rep. and co-sponsor of House Bill 2). It made it through the House Committee this morning and is now ready for a vote in the full House of Rep.

Todd thinks it will not have a problem in the House. Rep. Greeson also stated that the NRA was a very big help getting House Bill 2 through committee.

He said we now need to start on the Senate.

Thanks to everyone.
Old January 21, 2010, 12:08 PM   #10
smince

The SBR House Bill 2 will go before the Alabama House Tuesday January 26. Those in Alabama call, write, or e-mail your Reps. about this bill.

Rep. Greeson said that we still need the help of NRA and if anyone could get Gun Owners of America involved it would be a big help.
Old January 22, 2010, 04:05 PM   #11
smince

NRA-ILA is on it:
Quote:
Alabama State House to Consider Repealing
Ban on Short-Barreled Rifles!

Please Contact Your State Representative Today!
House Bill 2, sponsored by State Representative Jeremy Oden (R-11), would repeal the section of the Alabama statute that prohibits the possession, sale, receipt, or use of rifles with barrels less than 16 inches long. These rifles are already legal under federal law when properly registered.

HB2 had its second read in the House Judiciary Committee earlier this week and will be voted on by the full House as early as Tuesday, January 26.

Please contact your State Representative TODAY at (334) 242-7600 and respectfully urge them to support this common-sense legislation. Most Representatives can be reached through the Alabama State House email system by using the following format: [email protected].
Old January 22, 2010, 11:42 PM   #12
shooter_john

Done...

I just emailed my Rep. (Mike Hill) and my Senator(Hank Erwin). Fingers crossed...
Old January 27, 2010, 05:57 PM   #13
shooter_john

Congrats to my fellow Alabamians... House Bill 2 has been passed.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:50 PM   #14
smince

Still a few bugs to iron out, and it still has to go through the Senate.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:15 PM   #15
shooter_john

Since I know that a lot of people are always curious about what police think about these kind of issues, here is a link to an ongoing thread about this issue over on a LE thread that I visit from time to time. (I am DIESEL326). I think most of you would be pleased!!!

http://officerresource.com/forums/f1...91/#post491633
Old January 27, 2010, 08:52 PM   #16
smince

Randy Hillman, head of the Alabama Association of District Attorney's sent an email to the cops trying to get the law stopped:
Quote:
Law Enforcement Friends,

Unfortunately, the short barrel gun legislation received a favorable report in the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, January 20th. It is set for FINAL passage on the House Special Order Calendar for tomorrow (Tues, January 26th). The effect of this bill would be to make lawful the carrying and possession of short barreled shotguns and rifles. This bill could have major implications to the criminal element we deal with on a daily basis. These weapons have no legitimate sporting function and will only serve to endanger the lives of law enforcement. Please join with me and contact your House members to convey our concerns with this bill.

Thank you,

Randy Hillman
Director
Alabama District Attorneys Association

H 2 Repeal Crime Owning/Sell. Short-barrel Shotgun Rep. Oden

Synopsis
Under existing law, a person how possesses, obtains, receives, sells, or uses a short-barreled rifle or a shotgun, except for peace officers, is guilty of a Class C felony.

This bill would repeal this law. AACOP is OPPOSED to repealing this law!!!! We have attached a sheet with your State representatives names on the bottom PLEASE call their office's ASAP and let them know how dangerous these weapons would be for your communities!!

AACOP
Old January 28, 2010, 11:22 AM   #17
shooter_john

That letter from Hillman was RIDICULOUS! I originally received that in an email from the FOP through my department, and immediately sent out a rebuttal. I also sent a message to the AL State FOP Lodge, since I am active within that organization. My email is included in the thread that linked from officerresource.com. The FOP is claiming that 'we' got some sort of victory because they amended the bill to say that you must have a Federal "permit" to possess an SBR/ SBS. Way to do your research guys... That is already part of the deal. Some of my co workers wondered why I got all worked up about the issue, but it's just STUPID, that this guy thinks that all of the sudden Cops lives will be severely endanged by repealing our law. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a large percentage of initial SBR buyers will be COPS!!!! I know I will. Anyway, rant over. I hope this one runs through the Senate as fast as it did the House.
Old January 28, 2010, 03:48 PM   #18
smince

I just heard from an associate that Senator Larry Means will be carrying the bill in the Senate:

Larry Means (10th District: Cherokee/Etowah)
Room 729
11 S. Union Street
Montgomery, AL 36130
(334) 242-7857

Please contact him and your own Senator.
Old February 9, 2010, 08:26 PM   #19
smince

HB2 is scheduled to be heard by the Senate Industrial Development and Recruitment Committee tomorrow (2/10) at 10:30 AM in Room 727 on the State House.

Only two bills are currently scheduled to be heard, so hopefully this will get a favorable report and get put on a Senate special order calender.
Old February 10, 2010, 04:35 PM   #20
smince

From another site:
Quote:
The Senate ID&R Committee gave HB2 a favorable report (6-0), so the bill should now be put on the regular Senate calendar. Hopefully, we can get this one on a Special Order calendar soon!

HB2 is one vote and one signature away from being law!
Old February 26, 2010, 04:12 PM   #21
BamaXD

I just read this thread or else I would've been writing some emails and letters! Are there any updates at this time? Thanks smince for bringing all of this information to this board and my attention.
Old February 27, 2010, 06:07 AM   #22
smince

My source in Rep Greeson's office says HB2 should be before the full Senate this week.

Call or write your Senator's if you haven't already done so.
Old March 9, 2010, 05:20 AM   #23
smince

According to my contact from Rep. Greeson's office, Senator Lowell Barron is keeping the Bill from coming to a special order vote because of the UAH shooting. Never mind the fact that Amy Bishop used a handgun.

Anyway, please call and write Senator Barron (be civil, but firm) and let him know your feelings on the issue:

Senator Lowell Barron
Room 729-B
11 S. Union Street
Montgomery, AL 36130
(334) 242-7858
Old March 9, 2010, 12:20 PM   #24
BamaXD

Will be writing and calling later today, thanks for the updates.
Old March 24, 2010, 06:18 PM   #25
smince

From NRA:
Quote:
The Alabama House Commerce Committee heard Senate Bill 360 (the companion bill to House Bill 364) today, Wednesday, March 24. The Committee took a voice vote to carry over the bill. SB360 is unlikely to be heard again before the end of the session due to the upcoming discussions on the state budget. Thus, this bill has ultimately died in committee.
The same fate is likely for HB2