The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2009, 06:18 PM   #1
jtheise4

Just can't decide!

Hello all. I'm planning on buying a new shotgun (12 gauge) in the near future. It will mainly be used for home defense and until I get a 30-30, it may see some deer hunting duty. I'm debating between the Benelli Super Nova, Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 (all in tactical dress). I'm leaning towards the Benelli. I've heard that the quality of Remington firearms has decreased lately, which worries me. Any thoughts, and/or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old July 29, 2009, 06:48 PM   #2
greyson97

benelli super nova gets my vote

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old July 29, 2009, 08:02 PM   #3
RoscoeC

You wouldn't be disappointed with any of the three. I'm fond of 870s because that is what I know and have shot many thousands of rounds through. All three of those are solid pump shotguns. Pick one and put a few thousand rounds through it.
NRA Life Member
Old July 30, 2009, 01:14 AM   #4
kozak6

If it's practical, I'd say to handle them all and try the controls and go with what feels best. See what works the best for you.

For example, I don't care much for the tang safety on the Mossberg, although many other people are absolutely nuts about it. Same with the slide release on the Remington.
Old July 30, 2009, 01:21 AM   #5
riggins_83

It's a lot of personal preference. I'm one of those who love the tang safety on the Mossberg and don't care for the Benelli feel. There's nothing wrong with any of those three though you might here differently at times. Which feels best to you?
Old July 30, 2009, 03:04 AM   #6
Skan21

I love Mossbergs because they are cheap and well constructed. I've never had one jam, FTF, FTE, or have any other kind of problem. It always goes bang. And did I mention that it's cheap? My next shotgun is going to be a Saiga 12 ga. Neccessary? No. Endlessly fun to shoot? Yes.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old July 30, 2009, 05:40 AM   #7
spyderdude

I own both a Remington 870 and Benelli Super Nova Tactical with the ghost ring sights and pistol grip. I love both, but the Super Nova I find to be a little better for the money. I paid 400 for my 870 and paid an additional 130 bucks for the Knoxx Spec Ops stock. I paid 479 for my Benelli Super Nova and not only did I get a pistol grip stock (I cannot stand traditional stocks on shotguns), I also got ghost ring sights, chrome lined bore, and a lightweight steel receiver that has been over molded with polymer, making it virtually impervious to all kinds of weather. The only thing my 870 has over the Super Nova is the magazine tube capacity and the amount of aftermarket accessories, though I plan to get a tube extension for the Super Nova.

Anyway you cannot go wrong with any of those choices. The main reasons I got the Super Nova was because I wanted a shotgun that could withstand weather conditions better, and to have something that will allow me to shoot slugs more accurately. A set of ghost ring sights for my 870 would cost between 80 and 200 dollars, and I would have to get the receiver professionally drilled to get those sights put on.

Oh yeah the Super Nova also comes drilled and tapped for the addition of a picatinny rail for optics!

Old July 30, 2009, 06:20 AM   #8
jmr40

The Remingtons seem to have issues come up with new guns. I've never had any issues and feel it is the better basic platform. Paying no attention to cost and basing my opinion only on which I feel is the better gun I would buy in the following order.

Remington
Mossberg 590
Benelli Nova
Mossberg 500

If someone handed me any of them I would learn to use it and feel well protected.
Old July 30, 2009, 07:43 AM   #9
bamafan4life

Rock island m-5, all the way! everything on that gun is steel! (except the stock), i highly recomend it. i shot my friend's yesterday and i'm ordering one today.
Old July 30, 2009, 11:19 AM   #10
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtheise4
I'm debating between the Benelli Super Nova, Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 (all in tactical dress). I'm leaning towards the Benelli. I've heard that the quality of Remington firearms has decreased lately, which worries me. Any thoughts, and/or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Many folks lump the Remington 870's into one group. An "870" represents one of a line of shotguns. If you compare a $383 plastic stocked 870 Express to a $1,039 870 Classic Trap, don't be surprised by the differences $656 represent. Is it a difference of quality or specification? The matte finish on an 870 Express isn't the result of the guy who's supposed to be polishing the bright blue Wingmaster barrels messing up -- it's supposed to be that way.
Old July 30, 2009, 02:49 PM   #11
oneounceload

Sorry Greyson - I am a HUGE fan of Italian guns, Ferraris, etc because their artistic talents blended with function can be amazing - and I am NOT doubting the functionality of that thing - but it is down-right ugly............
Old July 30, 2009, 04:10 PM   #12
BlackFeather

well I dont like them... but those maverick 88's come with a short and long barrel and are also cheap... I beleive they are mossberg... dont know for sure... I have a norinco hawk 982 and I love it... its basically an 870... but ive never had problems with it...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old July 30, 2009, 08:29 PM   #13
SoilworK777

+1 for the Hawk 982. Or the Pardner Protector (same gun minus the ghost ring sights.)

Btw BlackFeather, mine didn't come with swivel studs installed (although there are places for them.) Did yours?