The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2017, 07:54 PM   #51
RC20

I got a response right back, send us the receipt and we will send you a new one.

Its been sent and will see.
Old May 25, 2017, 08:08 PM   #52
Real Gun

Quote:
I have a Hornady LNL so I like the Hornady dies.
Had to chuckle...that is not necessarily logical but is a fine testament to your brand loyalty. The Hornady die set, like others, includes an expander die you don't need, while a best-of-breed M-die type could be a real asset, given a free station for it. There are other specialty dies that improve or indeed enable loading lead bullets satisfactorily. By the time I got 45ACP lead SWCs really working on my LnL AP there were no Hornady dies left.

As far as I know, only Redding and Lee actually make a die set for a progressive, nothing missing, nothing cast aside. Dillon probably too, but I don't know Dillon specifics very well.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:04 AM   #53
pete2

I don't have a favorite die maker. The only dies I've had that were sub par were Lee. I have had good service from others, Dillon, RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Texan(you don't know who that is), Herters and Lyman. I don't like the design of the Dillons. The last dies for my RL550B are RCBS. I like the adjustable bullet seating stem.
Old May 28, 2017, 02:47 PM   #54
Real Gun

Quote:
The only dies I've had that were sub par were Lee.
"Subpar" in what way? I have no complaints about my several Lee dies and wonder about these nonspecific swipes at Lee equipment.
Old May 30, 2017, 01:01 PM   #55
Tsquared

The OP has a solid single stage withe the RockChucker setup. I still use my RC for small batch rifle, to work up a new load, and for case trimming. It complements my 550 very well.

My preference on dies are: Redding, then Lyman, Hornady, and RCBS in no particular order and last choice of Lee. Don't misunderstand, if I need a die and the only one available is Lee I will buy it with no hesitation. I do like that they include a case holder with their dies.

The only dies I have had any issues with has been Lee. Lee did replace one and called it defective; they do have good customer service. The other was a rifle die that I had to polish the inside of the bullet seater because it would leave a indentation just off of the crown of the bullet. I have cracked the carbide in one of my Lee dies but I attribute that to my negligence.
Old May 30, 2017, 01:47 PM   #56
Scorpion8

I use a Rockchucker as my main rifle reloading press, and almost all of my dies are either Hornady, or a few RCBS. I've picked up a lot of older Pacific reloading (precursor to Hornady) Durochrome dies.
Old May 30, 2017, 05:59 PM   #57
Don Fischer

Let's see. I've got Herter, RCBS, Lyman, Redding and maybe one or two more. For me trying to pick a favorite based on using it would really be splitting hairs. My favorite's are based on how they look and are finished. That has always put Redding at the top of the heap but, not willing to pay for them anymore. Recently bough a set of Lee 243 dies and they compare with Redding in finish. Really surprised me. I use a single stage press, have all my life for rifles, no regrets! Try'ed a progressive press some time back, me and it did not get along. Good press just been doing things my way to long and I don't need to turn out a couple hundred rounds in the shortest time possible. First timer at it, I'd suggest either Lee or Lyman. They do every thing the other do but they are not as expensive.

Now does he want the prettiest die's he can get or does he simply want dies that work? I'm a kind of die's that work but more important has alway's been cost and what I can get locally' ha! 70 miles one way to the closest read gun store! If I were a competition shooter as in bench rest, I might consider more expensive dies.
Old May 30, 2017, 07:51 PM   #58
pete2

Sub par as in the sizing die was oversized. Not useable. Also don't like lack of lock rings.
Old May 30, 2017, 09:31 PM   #59
Stats Shooter

Favorite die? ....Is whichever one that I'm currently using provided it does what I need it to do without breaking and if it does break will be supported by the manufacturer.
Old June 6, 2017, 02:57 PM   #60
Paladin7

I started with Lee Dies, mainly due to their cost and the good reviews I saw. Now I exclusively use Lee Dies and have loaded thousands of rounds with them in pistol and rifle with excellent results on my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme and Hornady Lock N Load AP presses. With Lee you get the shell holder and a dipper with each set. The shell holder should be included with all dies but most manufacturers charge you extra. The Lee Dipper is great for working up loads.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with Lee Dies.
Old June 6, 2017, 03:01 PM   #61
RC20

Quote:
Good luck with Lyman's customer support. Here's my thread detailing my interactions with them. https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=575855
They sent me a whole new unit under warranty.

I broke it and they did that. Doesn't get any better in my opinion.
Old June 9, 2017, 11:13 AM   #62
Fusion

I have dies from several manufacturers and I've had even more in the past. I've probably owned 100 dies throughout my life.

My favorite are Lee dies with a Hornady lock ring on the seater die. They work well, make accurate ammo, include the shell holder, the factory crimp die is wonderful and they offer them to you at a reasonable cost. I also like that the collet on the sizing die will often let the decapping pin (rod) slide up instead of breaking the pin. If you ever have a stuck case this design also makes it easy to get it out. The lock rings are the only downsides I see, but you can get a Hornady lock ring for a couple of dollars.

I also really like Redding dies. I've never had a problem with them and they work well.

I've used Hornady dies the least, but I've also never had a problem.

I've had a few Lyman sets that I've gotten great results with, but I also had a used 22-250 set that wouldn't seat the bullets deep enough even when screwed all the way in. Since it was used I can't blame this on Lyman. I have no idea what happened to this die before I got it, although it didn't look modified.

I've also had several sets of RCBS dies and they are my least favorite out of the bunch. I wanted to go with these because 85% of my reloading equipment is RCBS and I love it. However, I've had the most issues with them. On one pistol set I got the seater die would cut into the bullet as it was seating it. RCBS sent out parts to fix this, but it still occasionally crushes the cases trying to seat the bullet. This is a 380 die, so having read one of the above posts in thinking maybe I should try a Hornady die.

On another set of rifle dies I got it was crushing the shoulders. I replaced this set with Lee and never had another issue. The lock rings are also a poor design in the RCBS dies Imo. The set screw tightens into the threads of the die mangling the threads. So if you adjust it later the lock ring is hard to screw and unscrew because the die threads are buggered up from the set screw. I also have had issues with the small vent hole getting clogged up with lube requiring cleaning about 10x more often than any other die I've had. I've also broken a bunch of decapping pins as well as bought several used someone else broke and then got fed up with. I've also seen several with bent decapping rods although I've never done this on one. These are just the kind of problems I've had with RCBS dies. I do have sets that work great, but I've had far more problems with them than any other brand. I do like their shell holders and other equipment, but I honestly think that most people buying their regular dies are just buying them for the name.
Old June 22, 2017, 12:44 PM   #63
hdwhit

RCBS has never disappointed me.

I've had Lee dies that worked well and one set that disappointed me and was replaced with a set from RCBS.

My experience with Lyman's customer service was dreadful. I'll never touch another of their products again, but I know other people have had different (better) experiences.

I have no experience with dies from Hornady, Redding or Forster, so I can't comment on them.
Old June 22, 2017, 01:38 PM   #64
RC20

Lyman sent me an entire new boroscope to replace the one that I broke.
Old June 25, 2017, 11:02 AM   #65
Kevin Rohrer

These companies make quality dies:

*Lyman
*Hornady
*RCBS
*Redding
*CH/4D <--best value for the money, but you have to buy direct, which can be a hassle
*Dillon
*Forster <--have no experience w/ them

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old June 25, 2017, 11:07 AM   #66
RC20

I will add in that I love the LEE O ring locking nut.

Some hate them, but for me, they stay exactly in place (yes you can disturb them but it takes some effort) As noted, I don't like to damage threads with the RCBS rings.

Spin the die down, snug it tight with a wrench and you are exactly where you left off for sizing or seating.

If anything is off, its easy to adjust unlike the hex clamp rings you have to futz with (sizing)

I got 10 of them years back, I am about out now, will have to pick up another pack!
Old June 25, 2017, 12:12 PM   #67
Reloadron

Ya know, thinking about this and reading responses, including my own I really don't know that I can label any single die manufacturer a favorite. Looking at over 40 years of dies when I get right down to it seems each manufacturer has features I like and features I dislike and even using dislike stretches it a little. I also see wherepersonal taste enters into things, for example RC20 mentioned:
Quote:
I will add in that I love the LEE O ring locking nut.

Some hate them, but for me, they stay exactly in place (yes you can disturb them but it takes some effort) As noted, I don't like to damage threads with the RCBS rings.
While I don't hate them I really don't care for them which is likely why my Lee dies for the most part have Hornady locking rings on them. Hell even my RCBS dies for the most part have Hornady locking rings.

Regardless of brand they all get the jobs before them done, they all work. Each die seems to have good and not so good features and much of those come down to individual preference. This just being for basic dies.

Ron
Old June 25, 2017, 03:25 PM   #68
jetinteriorguy

For straight wall revolver I like a combination. Hornady new dimension sizing/ decapping die and bullet seating die in combination with Lee powder through die and Lee collet crimp die for magnum rounds. On .38sp though I'll substitute the Lee seating/crimp die but use it only for crimping.
Old June 25, 2017, 05:09 PM   #69
RC20

Per Reloadron:

I don't know its always features, but what suits a persons feeling for how things should be done or how they should work.

When I could do it, I set up Windows with a yellow background and black print.

Why?

I had a psych book done in black print on yellow pages in my one year of collage, they had done studies and found that was the easiest to read and they did their book in it as they said "we do all these studies and then we don't do anything with what we found" so we did.

Over the years the programmers and techs that work on the stuff I can't said they hated it, then after a while it was, you know, its a lot easier on the eyes than a glaring white screen!

I hate the knurled knobs on dies. So how do you adjust it, or get it to stay. Yep, your nice precision dies and you have to grab a pliers (you can put a nut on them but why would they not come with a nut in the first place?

I like RCBS match seater because you can drop the bullet straight in instead of reaching up under with your fingers like Forster. Better or worse for alignment? danged if I know.

But all in all as he says, they all make pretty darned good dies, I continue to like RCBS for their customer service and I can fix the locking ring and nut!

Bless RCBS, they had the 7.5 Swiss in the match seater set.

So, a bias and fondness for RCBS, with a like for Forster, Lyman and Lee.

Whidden? I just don't know if their price gets me anything more. Same with Redding. They don't have a micrometer seater and the one they add on is tiny. Really?

And so it goes!
Old June 25, 2017, 05:21 PM   #70
hdwhit

Quote:
ReloadRon wrote:
While I don't hate them [Lee Lock Rings] I really don't care for them which is likely why my Lee dies for the most part have Hornady locking rings ... even my RCBS dies for the most part have Hornady locking rings.
Same here.

If I order a set of dies from RCBS, I also order a set of Hornady Lock rings.

RCBS used to use a split ring like the Hornady and then switched to using one where the screw engages the threads on the die body which I don't care of.
Old June 26, 2017, 08:56 AM   #71
F. Guffey

Quote:
If I order a set of dies from RCBS, I also order a set of Hornady Lock rings.

RCBS used to use a split ring like the Hornady and then switched to using one where the screw engages the threads on the die body which I don't care of.
If I have a tool with knurls it means I should be able to secure it with my hand. And then? I make shop calls, I never leave the house with cut up strips of leather and woo be onto he that grabs a pair of pliers and heads toward one of my dies.

I do not secure the lock ring to the die with the set screw, if in my position there is a die with a set screw that is secured to the die with the set screw it is not my die.

I adjust my die first then secure the die to the press with the lock ring. Again, it the lock ring requires something extra there is leather cut into strips. I could say "you will not believe how tight the lock ring can be...", I have cut lock rings off of dies, around here there is no shortage of lock rings. My favorite are the 6 sided type, I hold the die and tighten the nut.

F. Guffey
Old June 26, 2017, 09:05 AM   #72
RC20

Each to his own. I have had too many of those knurled knobs come loose.

I work on big machinery. Largest? 2500 hp and about 25 feet long (EMD, 2 cycle, slow speed, ergo the size)

All fasteners with a specifications on that engine got a torque wrench used with the listed thread condition (dry, lubed, what specific lube etc)

So, a piece of leather may work, a wrench works better and its my choice as I have the feel for the application.

I think having your lock ring set and fixed is by far the more consistent way, certainly less time consuming.

But then as noted, each to his own. Mine suits me.

I always listen to what others do, sometimes it is something that works for me, often not. So it goes. Alpha Centurion shines bright.
Old June 26, 2017, 10:11 AM   #73
hounddawg

I have Redding, Forster, Hornady and Lee dies on my bench and they all have their place. For a newbie I think either RCBS or Lee dies would be my first choice simply because of cost. My favorite neck sizer of standard chambers would be the Lee collet dies. I get consistent run outs of less than .001 on most loads. I use a Lee universal decapping tool, Forster and Redding micrometer seating dies, Hornady pistol dies. I have several pieces of RCBS equipment some ten years or more old and all still function perfectly and wish that I had bought a Rockchucker for my first press. However as long as my old Lee is functioning I don't see the need to replace it until I go the arbor press and Wilson precision dies

Quite frankly I don't think any of the major reloading companies would have been around as long as they have been if they produced shoddy equipment so go with what you want and can afford
Old June 26, 2017, 10:20 AM   #74
Real Gun

Quote:
Quite frankly I don't think any of the major reloading companies would have been around as long as they have been if they produced shoddy equipment so go with what you want and can afford
Nothing seems to deter Lee from offering the Loadmaster, which isn't a lot of use to anyone but engineers, inventors, and machinists...definitely not for a newcomer, so why would anyone else buy one except from a frustrated beginner who just wants rid of the thing? Mine worked to a point, but not if I wanted to feed cases with it. It sits in a box for someone else to try. A fellow at the range is interested. I will probably just give it to him rather than make excuses for it or have to defend against him having any issues with it.
Old June 26, 2017, 05:50 PM   #75
RC20

My Junior has been turned into my COAL adjuster at the range.

Two or three presses does not hurt.

Used ones as long as in good condition are fine and cheap.

I hope to get the other Rockchucker up for the nit noid work once my bench is recovered (I got too far into this with too many calibers before I realized I need a good brass storage system)

The 2nd Chucker was a freebie so no money out for that. More press than I need for what will likely be the M die station, but it was free.