The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 5, 2011, 10:37 PM   #1
DiCarnage

PD45 Buffer Question.

Hey Guys,
According to the date stamp on my PD45 (and the info on the Star website), my gun was made in '77. It's got a brown frame with a black slide, and first generation notched out adjustable rear sight.
I researched this gun on the day I got it (inherited from an uncle who passed), and read about the recoil buffer issue. Well, true enough, the buffer in mine disintegrated about two weeks ago. I've been looking at the replacement buffers online and they look a bit different from the original buffer in mine. I know that the new ones are a snap-on piece, but my buffer is a ring enclosing the guide rod.
My question is this: Does anyone know how to remove that old buffer? My guide rod looks like it MIGHT be a two-part design that screws together, but I'm just not sure,. and I haven't found any instructions out there in
Can anyone out there tell me if the guide rod in my first-gen is different from one that might be found in the later models?
Yes, I know that there have been other threads on this forum about the PD45 buffers, but none have addressed this particular issue.
Old March 7, 2011, 04:24 AM   #2
DiCarnage

ANYONE?
Old March 7, 2011, 09:53 AM   #3
bossman

It may be a little hard to do but it can be unscrewed . I bought some buffers off of gunbroker that work like the factory. He sales them in different amounts. Jim-Dawg I think is what he goes by. Wolff springs still sales spring packages for the PD.

This should help you out, good info and photos.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...tar+pd+buffers

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.

Last edited by bossman; March 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old March 7, 2011, 05:27 PM   #4
DiCarnage

Yeah, Jim Dawg is the only source I've found for those new buffers, and they look like they work great. It just doesn't make sense for me to invest in his buffers if I can't get them to do do their job (replace my OLD buffer). Part of the reason I'm so interested is because I'm thinking of getting new recoil springs for it too, and replacing those two parts is not something I should have to go to a gunsmith for.

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe I should send him an email and ask him if he knows.
I'll bet the guy that runs the Star website knows too.
Thanks for reminding me!
~D!~
Old March 7, 2011, 07:47 PM   #5
bossman

Yeah, great little gun. I try to stock up on parts when I come across any. Glock 36 sees most of my carry time, but I do bring the PD out to carry now and then.

I should buy one for a parts gun I like them so much. I don't shoot mine as much as I would like to because parts are so scarce.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 7, 2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

The recoil rod assembly unscrews.

Tags
buffer , pd45 , star .45