The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 23, 2009, 11:07 AM   #1
beezaur

Help! - Tacti-Cooled by Remington

I wanted a 12-ga with extra capacity for big game in the brush, so I went to my local sporting goods store and walked out with a Remington 870 Tactical with a collapsible stock. I didn't particularly need it to be collapsible, but it had a good recoil pad and seemed solid enough. (I'm not a shotgun guy, but Remington seemed like a reliable company.)

I sighted the Aimpoint in with slugs. Not OK. Violent is the word. Every shot was like being punched in the cheek.

Bird shot must be better, right? Wrong. Another violent encounter. This is not like my Benelli Nova. Something is wrong.

So last night I am recovering from being beaten about the cheek and shoulder, and I notice the stock has all kinds of flex. Put the butt on the floor, push down, and the stock bows pretty badly. Under recoil this stock is flexing up and bashing my cheek.

Otherwise I like the gun. I'm doing fist-sized groups at 25 m using a red dot. It is fast and easy to handle. But I am being absolutely belted with every shot.

Any suggestions for a new stock?

Either collapsible or standard would be OK, but this one needs to be SOLID. I'm leaning toward a standard-type synthetic stock and putting a stock pack on like Eagle sells. Color is no matter -- I'll be painting it.

Scott
Old July 23, 2009, 11:14 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A standard stock... El cheapo plastic or fine walnut are far and away the answer to your abuse situation... Always is IMHO! The recoil pad likely could be swapped... if not a nice one from limbsaver etc. abound.
Brent
Old July 23, 2009, 11:36 AM   #3
MagicMan

Knoxx stock
Old July 23, 2009, 11:51 AM   #4
beezaur

Knoxx SpecOps is what it has now:
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0012785224733a.shtml

I figured being sold by the thousands by Remington, and evidently the main collapsible stock sold by Cabelas, would be enough of an endorsement that I wouldn't have to worry.

They say, "patented recoil reduction system, felt recoil is reduced as much as 95%." Heh. More like recoil enhancement.

Scott
Old July 23, 2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Technosavant

My Knoxx SpecOps REALLY tames the recoil. Try putting your face farther back; many people get whacked in the cheek by the thing because the receiver moves in the stock itself under recoil (it helps spread the recoil impulse over a longer period of time, making it feel less violent).

If you don't want the thing, any regular 870 stock should fit; PM me and I'd buy that SpecOps off of you; I could use a spare.
Old July 23, 2009, 01:38 PM   #6
beezaur

I have tried shooting at different lengths, from fully collapsed to fully extended. No luck.

The thing is really flexy. I suppose it could just be a problem with my one unit, but that is hard to believe.

The booklet that came with the gun explains how to adjust the stock so the flare doesn't come back and cause "some discomfort." That's not what is happening. The stock under my cheek is bowing up under recoil and smacking my head. Hard.

Before I put on the red dot I was using the bead. My head would literally be bounced up off the gun. My jaw was sore and my head hurt after about 5 slugs.

It is better with the red dot, since my cheek is higher. Still punishing.

Scott
Old July 23, 2009, 02:12 PM   #7
beezaur

Quote:
the receiver moves in the stock itself under recoil . . .
Mine seems not to. Is there a way that something might be fouled up, something I need to adjust to get it to move?

Would the receiver move by placing the butt on the floor and pushing?

Scott
Old July 23, 2009, 02:35 PM   #8
MagicMan

It's not a real KNoxx recoil reducing stock if it's flexing all over. My Knoxx does not flex & takes care of most of the recoil
Old July 23, 2009, 03:03 PM   #9
beezaur

It was new-in-box, and has all appropriate markings and paperwork.

Something is amiss here.

Scott
Old July 23, 2009, 03:13 PM   #10
ZeSpectre

We're talking about this item right?

I'm no expert on the Knoxx stocks but I've fired a shotgun or two with the recoil suppression type mounted and it sounds like something is seriously wrong with yours because the ones I've fired weren't like that at all.
Old July 23, 2009, 03:36 PM   #11
beezaur

That's the item, ZeSpectre.

I called Knoxx (BLACKHAWK!) !!! Zero satisfaction. They wouldn't even let me send them the stock for examination. They wanted me to go back to my sporting goods store and return the gun.

I will be using this gun for bear season in 8 days, so that is out. I ordered a standard replacement stock so I'll have the gun in service for season.

Something has to be wrong with the stock. They guy at BLACKHAWK! !!! said the gun was supposed to move in the stock, yet mine does not.

My bet is that some part in the stock was installed wrong. I don't remember if the instruction book describes taking the stock apart. Does anyone know how to do that?

Scott
Old July 23, 2009, 07:34 PM   #12
Technosavant

They don't intend for you to take the stock apart. If it's not working right, I think they figure that you need to replace it entirely. I tried pulling apart my busted one and couldn't really figure out how to get it done.
Old July 23, 2009, 07:54 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Iwill bet you a beverage of your choice that you bolt the traditional stock on and never look back!
For either of us to collect... Come on down with the gun setup how you end up liking best and we will run a few pounds of lead into the environment and drink one afterwards! I have tried the PGO, AR style and ended up with a traditional for the overall use-ability. I have more options at my disposal than with any other type stock.
Brent
Old July 23, 2009, 08:24 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

there is a version of this stock with recoil reduction and one without, are you sure you have the right one?
Old July 23, 2009, 09:05 PM   #15
7jinxed7

Beezaur,I installed a knoxx industries stock on my 870.I checked for flex on mine and yes it also has alot of flex.The more it is extended the more the flex.Also if your shoulder is positioned lower on the stock more flex than the at the top.You also have to keep your cheek on the rear portion of the stock.Thats the only part that doesn't move.If you put your cheek on my stock with much pressure at all,yeah it still kinda slaps your cheek feels like its gonna knock some teeth out..If you put the rifle stock between your feet on a solid floor hold the barrel with both hands tight and give it a really hard shove downward.Or smack the buttstock on the floor really hard it should have some bounce.You should see movement right were the stock,grip and receiver meet.There is a groove for it to slide in make sure there is nothing in it.If there is no movement it is definately jammed or is not a recoil absorbing stock. http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1248399985
Old July 24, 2009, 04:33 AM   #16
kozak6

On a side note, I'd also like to caution you to double check your state laws. Some of them have a limit of just a few cartridges for big game hunting.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:28 AM   #17
beezaur

Thanks, guys,

I did get the stock to travel in its track by pushing hard last night. So it is functioning as designed.

The problem for me is the flex. There is already a lot of flex in the stock by the time the rearward motion of the recoil system starts. If I extend the stock to the first notch I get smacked by the flare. Extending the stock past that causes me to get smacked by the flexing.

I can shoot the stock fully collapsed, all scrunched up with the butt low on my shoulder and my cheek above the flare. This is only possible with an optical sight; using the bead would put my cheek too low. This works OK for recoil absorption, but it's not a good fit for trying to be accurate.

So unless I can become sufficiently accurate with "scrunchy" shooting, I probably will just use the standard stock I have on its way.

Scott

P.S. In WA there is no capacity limit for shotgun/big game (this is for bear).
Old July 24, 2009, 11:38 AM   #18
7jinxed7

If you are set on a adjustable stock Mesa Tactical makes one that seems to be better quality.Thats always a option.My original sythetic stock was good with a Limbsaver recoil pad(very comfortable).I just wanted something with a shorter lenght of pull.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:44 AM   #19
beezaur

Thanks, jinxed. I am disappointed about the Knoxx, and will be looking for a new collapsible stock. The plan at this point is to hunt with a standard stock through the season (ends November) and then switch to something I like better.

Scott