The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 25, 2007, 09:04 PM   #1
MCJAG4402

Holster Advice

I'm planning on getting my carry permit within the next month and need some advice on what type of holsters I should look into. I have a Glock 22. I've heard a lot of good things about the Comp-Tac CTAC, but then I've also heard that any IWB holster that isn't leather is uncomfortable. So, I now turn to all of you for suggestions.

What do you recommend for a Glock 22? What type of carry? What type of holster? What material? What brand? Etc.
Old April 25, 2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

I carry a Glock 22 as a CCW weapon during the winter. It's a large gun, but with a sweatshirt I can pull it off. I carry OWB using a Galco Fletch leather holster. I also own a Biachi IWB but find it very uncomfortable. My suggestion would be to make sure you have a sturdy gun belt and then look for a Galco or Bianchi OWB holster. Either company makes great holsters at a decent price. No matter what you buy, buy leather however. For full time carry, regardless of holster, I think pulling off a Glock 22 will be tough. Good luck.
Old April 28, 2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Seraph

I disagree. I think you can carry your Glock 22 comfortably, with excellent concealment, in the right IWB holster. You just have to get the right holster, and use a good belt. The Brommeland Max Con V has me, and all my co-workers, spoiled. I carry a 5" steel 1911 in this holster, all day, everyday. It's so comfortable, I've fallen asleep sitting on my couch, while still wearing my gun. A holster like this will cost more than off-the-rack production leather, but it's well worth it. My customers always come back to thank me for hooking them up with these holsters.

~ Miyamoto Musashi
Old April 29, 2007, 10:04 PM   #4
2afreedom

Re: Holster

I don't find carrying my Glock 19 in a nylon IWB holster is uncomfortable. I don't know how carrying a full size Glock would be IWB but I have a 19 and a 26 (compact and sub compact) and the larger one carries almost as well.
Old May 13, 2007, 01:39 AM   #5
River Rat 1969

Holster Selection

MCJAG4402, Galco leather holsters are of outstanding quality. I have several, to carry a H&K USP 45, and a Government model . They aren't cheap, but they work. Bianchi holsters are good, but Galco are better, in my opinion. Don't refuse to consider quality plastic holsters. Blade Tech makes very nice IWB holsters. Two things about plastic holsters that are better than leather holsters. First, if you live in a hot climate, and will be sweating a lot, plastic can have the salt washed off it easily. Throughly wash the salt out of your expensive leather holster, and when it is dried.........see how good the fit is. Second, if you absolutely must not be identified as carrying a weapon..........leather often gives you away with it's noise, such as when you bend over to pick something up from the floor, or squat down. An alert criminal will know that sound. If you are like most of us, you will end up with a box full of holsters that just aren't worth wearing. Buy quality, and avoid the cheap contraptions passed off as "holsters".

Besides getting a quality holster, buy a good gun belt. Several suppliers make them; I have a Galco horse hide belt that is over twenty years old, and still in excellant condition.

One last thing to consider. If you are carrying a bulky handgun, and decide on carrying it in a Galco SOB holster, consider the possibilities of getting rear ended in a car crash, while carrying this way. There is a potential for increased risk of back injury, if slammed really hard with a large weapon. If possible, unholster in cars if carrying SOB.

Jim