The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 7, 2006, 08:42 AM   #1
ronc0011

Shooters in Houston area.

Every weekend I go to the range and run a couple of hundred rounds through my .45 and sometime I also go on over to the trap range and shoot a couple of rounds ( 25 clays ) of trap. Interestingly while there are always plenty of people out there I rarely see the same people twice. So I was wondering if there are any here who live in my area who would be interested in making the acquaintance of other members of the “TFL” board and perhaps establishing a semi regular time at the range. Common interest and all that stuff. The nearest range to me is in the Spring area just north of Houston called Carter Country. Hey for all I know there are already TFL people out there. Maybe I should put a sign on my bag “TFL” so others could recognize me.
Old December 7, 2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Capp35

When I shoot pistols (9mm, .45, .22, .357) which I mainly do, I go to an indoor range close to me. (Top Gun) I usually just spend an hour in there once a week or two and finish off a couple of boxes of ammo, on maybe two of my pistols (mainly my .45).

When I shoot rifles, I usually go to the Addicks firing range.
They also have a trap and skeet range, but have never shot there.

Wouldn't have a problem meeting some time though.

Brian
Old December 7, 2006, 10:08 AM   #3
ronc0011

Hmmm, I live in the Woodlands, I have heard of Top Gun and in fact one of the guys where I work goes there. I have as yet not made the drive in to go there.
Old December 7, 2006, 12:13 PM   #4
springmom

We shoot at Carter's Country every time we go.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 7, 2006, 06:17 PM   #5
Glockamolie

I can't afford Top Gun very often, and I don't particularly like indoor ranges. I go to Hot Wells outdoor range on 290 just past Barker-Cypress. Maybe I'll just get a "Glockamolie" shirt, since that's who I am on TFL and THR.
Old December 7, 2006, 06:37 PM   #6
Capp35

Quote:
I can't afford Top Gun very often, and I don't particularly like indoor ranges.
Its not too bad.
I like it (and indoor ranges) when you only have an hour or two to shoot. No down time on the range with the electric targets.
I wouldn't mind trying some place new one time, if a group of us got together.
Old December 7, 2006, 11:00 PM   #7
gunovice

Top Gun and Marksman

I shoot defensive pistol shooting on Thurdays at Top Gun and regular targets on the weekend at Marksman Range.
Old December 7, 2006, 11:54 PM   #8
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

This is a perfect topic for the Lock and Load forum.

Everybody ready for the move?
Old December 8, 2006, 02:42 AM   #9
gac009

I like american shooting center, although at the moment Im pretty strapped for cash. I wouldnt mind getting meeting up with some high roaders one day to shoot up a storm.

Old December 9, 2006, 05:21 PM   #10
MPanova

Me and the wife normally go to Marksman (8 bucks to shoot all you want for as long as you want) on Thursday. If anyone plans on going out there on a Thursday just give me a shout. 281*827*7026

my name is Mike in case you call.

"WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG GUN!"
Old December 11, 2006, 08:33 AM   #11
ronc0011

It would probably help if we all knew where all of these places are.

There seems to be quite a few places and quite a few of us.
I usually go to Carter Country although I didn’t make this last weekend I will most certainly make it this coming weekend.
Old December 11, 2006, 09:32 AM   #12
ronc0011

Wow “American Shooting Center” Looks like a really nice place. I just wish it wasn’t so far from me.
Old December 12, 2006, 02:55 PM   #13
tex45acp

Since I come in from the west side of town, ASC is great for me. I would like to try several of the other ranges though. Is the Carter Country, the chain store with a range as well. I used to live at the corner of Kuykendahl and Louetta but never heard of that range. I used to go and shoot at the old Pasadena Gun Center years ago.

tex
Old December 12, 2006, 05:03 PM   #14
ronc0011

Carter country also has a store off of I-10 but the one on Treshwig is quite a bit bigger plus they have rifle and pistol range as well as trap and skeet.
Old December 12, 2006, 05:12 PM   #15
ronc0011

There used to be an indoor pistol range off of Aldine Westfield close to Little York. George Foreman had a youth center at the corner of the street that it was on. It was a really good range because it was about 50 yards and it had an electric conveyer system for the target. You know, where you clip your target on the little thing and then push the button and it takes your target down range until you let go of the button. I haven’t been over there in years so I don’t even know if it’s still there. It was popular with police officers.
Old December 13, 2006, 01:43 PM   #16
Capp35

I'll be up for a shoot, but it will have to be after the first of the year.
I'm spending all my free time in the wood right now, looking for Bambi's father.
Old December 15, 2006, 09:51 PM   #17
delzo

I wanna play too! I'm over by the space center and either go to the Pearland Shooting Club, Pasadena Gun Center, Marksman Range or Bailey's House of Guns.

I'm up for any though if there's gonna be a crowd having fun.

(I'm pretty under-impressed with Top Gun though. You have to be rich and put up with being treated like a rookie at shooting)
Old December 17, 2006, 01:58 AM   #18
ronc0011

Well It looks like I may be going to Carter country Monday. It seems that me and my dad and my little brother and possibly my nephews are all off this week and so I think the plan is to all go to Carter Country. I’m not sure what time we will be there. One of the main problems with these kind of family group things is that you usually can’t get everyone to get their act together at the same time and very often the entire day is wasted putsing about waiting on this person or that person. If that doesn’t come together I will just go by myself some other day this week. I just went and bought a couple hundred rounds for my .45 and a hundred more for my .357 I’ll make some kind of sign for my bag that says TFL on it just in case any of you make it up there.
Old December 17, 2006, 05:54 PM   #19
Ian2005

Wow that would be great. I went to Top Gun the other week and rented the Glock's I complained about in another post :-) It's a great place but you sure can run through some cash while your there.
I use American Shooting Center off of Hyw 6 / Westheimer in "George Bush Park" all the time for Rifle and occasionally for clays. It would be great to have TFL people meet out there.

Anyway, URL's for all: American Shootign Center & Top Gun Range
Old April 28, 2007, 10:02 AM   #20
uzimon

galvestonian here

MARKSMAN RULES! the only thing wrong there is no centerfire rifles. but i love shootin my rem sbs there. and rapid fire is cool there

PASADENA GUN CTR- poor ventilation and cant shoot shotguns. but rapid fire is cool, in fact (for those who dont know) rents MACHINE GUNS!(tho ive never splurged on that)

TX CITY MUNICIPAL RANGE-
surprisingly, RAPID FIRE OK
no hip bump-firin tho.
i like to take my ar there and unload a c-mag using my harris bi-pod. FUN FUN

AL TRUG SHOOTIN RANGE- this is near 270 near LEAGUE CITY- ol al can be cantankerous. this where i tool my chl. NO RAPID FIRE al will kick yo azz
out, al is pretty proud of his ammo too, pricewise. it is a pretty decent range, out to 200 yds for rifles

BAILEYS- is that still open? aint it south of the dome? if it is, i went there years ago and was told LOAD 1 ROUND AT A TIME w.t.f.? (ever try that with an A.R.?

EASTEX (59) RANGE- on E. MT. HOUSTON and 59- i didnt see anything bout that 1. for those who dont know, this place formerly rented machine guns, till they got robbed
last i went there they were crackin down on rapid fire. they had good ventilation.

theres more ill add to later,
but anybody wanna meet up at tx city or mksman, pm me
craig
Old April 28, 2007, 01:15 PM   #21
dbgun

Shooters in Houston area

Wow, there are quite a few Houston shooters on this forum. I like Pasadena Gun Center & Sportsman Shooting Center (Friendswood) for handguns, and Bailey's & Clear Creek for rifles. Although I've been doing most of my plinking at the deer lease lately.

Next time I go to one of these place's, I'll put a "TFL label" on my gun bag or case.
Old April 28, 2007, 07:27 PM   #22
rfdillon

I too shoot mostly at Hot Wells, but would like to find somewhere longer than 100 yards.
Old April 30, 2007, 01:02 PM   #23
kittyhawk

Hi everyone I have some SAD news sportsmans outlet indoor range up in Humble burned down on 4/19/07 it was a total loss........ So now I will be going to carters country and would love to shoot with some TFL guys.

Dave