The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2006, 05:15 PM   #1
bes1020

Light load accuracy

I recently decided to go play cowboy. Bought a couple of Vaqueros in .357 and i'm trying to work up a load with the right balance of recoil and accuracy.

I'm using a Meister 125 gr RNFP hardcast in a 38 case. I have tried Titegroup loads ranging from 3.2 gr up to 3.7 and Unique from 4.5 gr up to 5.4. CCI small pistol primers and a moderate to heavy roll crimp.

My problem is that I can't get very acceptable accuracy until I get to the upper end of the trial loads. That seems to kinda of defeat the purpose.

I've seen where forum members have posted data for loads considerably milder than this that they claim offer superior performance. Any ideas what I might try. I'm not that familiar with either powder. Several things I did notice. I got consistent results from both guns and I did notice that the brass seemed dirty than usual - as though there was excessive "blowback" around the case. Since this is the first time I've really put the guns through their paces that may be a function of the gun more than the load?

Any advice on where to start would be appreciated.
Old November 20, 2006, 05:40 PM   #2
castnblast

This was some time back, but If you can use wadcutters, use 38 special data. It seems like i had a rediculusly light load that was VERY accurate. I don't have the data, but try around 3.0-3.5 grs. of HS6. Again, this is recollection, so I won't swear that is right. I got increadible groups with the wad cutters though.
Old November 21, 2006, 01:45 AM   #3
amamnn

cautionary tales

The cowboy action shooting craze has a lot of people looking for light loads. It is best accomplished using powders that have been "bulked up" with filler actually included in the powder so as to fill the case and avoid double charging. No one ever thinks he'll double charge a case and no one thinks if he does that he'll ruin a gun. Still, it happens, and much too often.

Another one:

http://www.thegunzone.com/anaconda.html
Old November 22, 2006, 02:41 AM   #4
tINY

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgu...ss-feb2005.php

Get some Trail Boss and it for accuracy....

-tINY