The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2006, 05:16 PM   #1
mrawesome22

Redding Match-Grade 3BR Powder Measure

With with universal mertering chamber (.5 to 100 grains) $115.95. Anyone tried one of these for rifle charges? Do they throw consistent charges with short cut extruded powders? I thought only handgun shooters used these but 100 grains would be more than enough for the calibers I load for (.22-250 Rem and .243 Win). I've never used one before. Do you just turn the handle and it drops a charge? If they're accurate, this could save me a boat load of time. What do you all think, accurate enough to trust with max charges? I don't own anything Redding but I've heard they make good stuff.
Old November 12, 2006, 05:47 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I have the smaller BR-30 with a narrower charge range and hemispherical tipped charge thimble to improve consistency. It works great with ball powders, but is no better than other drum measures when it comes to any kind of stick powder.

I can, however, tell you about a measure that is better. I just got one a couple of months ago on Rocky Raab's recommendation at another forum. It is called the Quick Measure, designed by Tim Johnson. It absolutely does not cut stick grains at all. Even very long stick grains seem to measure within 0.1 grains on it (even though Johnson only clams 0.2 grains in his specs).

I also measured some Alliant Power Pistol charges I threw through it at a nominal 4.8 grains on my Acculab scale (0.02 grain resolution) and it was better than plus or minus 0.06 grains per throw. I am, frankly, astonished by it. The other interesting thing was it seemed to be immune to minor jostling. Normally, if I don't feel a drum operation is the same as usual, or if I bump it by mistake, I have to throw and return a couple of charges to the hopper before they start to come out right again; the jostlel packs powder near the drum mouth and causes the next couple of dispensings to be off. I had a couple of such disturbances on the Quck Measure caused by the secondary sphere on its small-charge funnel catching on grains in the tube upon release for dispensing. I weighed these and subsequent charges to check how far off bumping had made them? It hadn't. They were all good.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 12, 2006, 06:43 PM   #3
mrawesome22

Have you used it to throw bigger charges? I'd be throwing around 36gr charges most of the time. Do you mean each throw was within .06gr of each other? If they were... all I can say is wow.
Old November 12, 2006, 07:58 PM   #4
HSMITH

I use a 3BR and think it is awesome. It throws pistol powders as accurately as I can measure them, inside of a tenth of a grain for sure. Varget and 4350 meter well. I leave the small metering chamber in it and throw two or three charges instead of switching it out to the big chamber so in theory I should have more deviation than using the big chamber to throw one single charge. It still throws stick powder to a tenth of a grain. It DOES cut the sticks, a sharp stroke on the handle works best for me.

A friend has a Harrell measure, and it is super sweet with stick powder. It operates very smoothly and throws extremely consistent charges. Lots of highpower and benchrest guys around here use them. I think they cost about $175, but I could be wrong....
Old November 15, 2006, 10:46 PM   #5
kolob10

Redding match 3br

I have owned a Redding match 3br for over 20 years. It has proven to be reliable, accurate, and durable. I highly recommend them.
Old November 16, 2006, 02:35 PM   #6
safeshot

mrawesome22, I have one I used for a year or so. It worked with no troubles.
I think there good measures for the money. I don't use mine enough now and decided to sell it. I really like trickling powder into the old balance beam I really don't know why I'm just kind of weird I suppose. Anyway I have one on gunbroker for sale with the stand. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=60567645
I am new to this site but you may read my feed back on gunbroker.

Thanks SS
Old November 17, 2006, 12:30 AM   #7
PinnedAndRecessed

Safeshot, I just looked at your measure. If you don't sell it, email me at

hoosier1951 (at) valornet.com
Old November 20, 2006, 09:49 PM   #8
CTC01

I have been using a BR-3 for several years now mostly with IMR4895 throwing 41-42 grains. I will typically get .2 grains variation which is OK except for my 600yd loads. I weight each of those.
Old November 20, 2006, 10:26 PM   #9
mrawesome22

Well I think I'm going to go ahead and get one. I'm planning on buying a Super Redhawk in the near future and if it isn't good enough for my rifles I'll use it for my revolver. Thanks all.