The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 25, 2006, 04:02 AM   #1
Maser

Slugs from a full choke?

Haven't shot much latly, but in the past when I would be trap shooting with my own target thrower and using my 28" accu-choke bbl I always use the full choke and never anything else. The only time I switch chokes is when I decide to shoot slugs. I then take out the full and replace it with improved cylinder. It even says in the manual to do that. It does get annoying to keep switching chokes because my shoulder would very quickly get tired of them hard kicking slug loads and I would want to switch back to using my light shot loads.

My question is will it damage the threads on the choke tube and barrel if I fired a slug through a full choke or would I just get crappy accuracy? I am also asking this because I have a friend who owns a single shot NEF 12 gauge that has a fixed full choke and he wants to shoot slugs, but not sure if it's safe for the barrel.

Oh yeah and before anyone tells me to get a rifled slug barrel or a cylinder bore barrel, don't bother telling me because I already have both of them and even got a .50 caliber muzzleloading barrel somewhere. I just don't like bringing a bunch of stuff when I go shooting.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:57 AM   #2
XLT

Quote:
get a rifled slug barrel or a cylinder bore barrel
Old May 25, 2006, 03:48 PM   #3
tBlake08

Why are you shooting clays with slugs in the first place?

-Clint Eastwood
Old May 25, 2006, 03:54 PM   #4
azzhandler

you can shoot the old foster type slugs through a full choke the slugs are made to form to the barrel when the foster type slugs were 1st designed most everyone used a full choke gun
Old May 25, 2006, 11:06 PM   #5
hoghunting

azz is right in that you can shoot the foster style slug in a full choke. I don't know if it will be any more or less accurate than the improved cylinder tube, you will only be able to tell by shooting. Be warned though, you will have a serious leading problem in the full choke tube. Just get ready for some real cleaning and scrubbing.
Old June 15, 2006, 11:44 PM   #6
Bigfatts

Not to hi-jack the thread but how about an Improved choke? Would a slug fair well through there? I don't know alot about chokes and slugs, but bought a s/s shotgun with fixed Full and Improved chokes. I'm sure the Full would be out. I will shoot clays with it the most but I would like to take it hunting too.
Old June 16, 2006, 06:23 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

You can shoot any STANDARD birdshot, buckshot, or Foster type slug through any STANDARD choke from Cylinder bore, to Full.

Where you might get into trouble is shooting larger buckshot or slugs through special purpose Extra-Full chokes.

Slugs "usually" shoot more accurately through the Improved Cylinder choke, BUT..... not always.
Sometimes, tighter or looser chokes work better.

What kind of groups you get depends entirely on your specific gun and choke combination, and the brand of slugs.
You'll likely find that your SxS, having no sights will still shoot acceptable hunting groups.

What you have to do is test fire a variety of brands of slugs to find one that shoots the best in YOUR gun.
Old June 22, 2006, 12:17 PM   #8
silicon wolverine

Brenneke slugs are not reccomended for anyhting tighter than a modified either.

SW