The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 16, 2000, 06:12 PM   #1
Don Parsley

Can and what is the advantage of putting say a 5" barrel in a Glock23 instead of the stock 4"? I'm replacing with an aftermarket barrel and would like any info. Thanks
Old March 16, 2000, 10:54 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Don, you can do it. It will increase velocity but not necessarily accuracy unless you go with a longer slide to get the longer sight radius. Barrels should be available from Brownells. www.brownells.com George
Old March 17, 2000, 05:09 PM   #3
Oldspeed

Don,
I happen just to like the look of a longer barrel sticking out of the slide. I have a G21 with a 6" KKM barrel - G19 with a KKM that is 1/2" longer than stock - G26 with a KKM G19 brl. that protrudes about 1/2". All function very well and look distinctive. KKM makes a very nice barrel and all have dropped right in with no fitting.
Old March 18, 2000, 01:46 PM   #4
Sid Post

Accuracy: No change
Velocity: a little maybe
Muzzle Flash: less depending on load
Muzzle Blast: Noise drops of significantly with what seems like minor differences in distance from muzzle to ear. The rounds involved can also affect how much difference there is.

With an extended barrel you may find that your holster may no longer work. The other option is to magna-port or put a brake on for recoil control (if that's a problem).

Sid

P.S. What barrel makes are you looking at? I'm investigating Jarvis and KKM myself.

[This message has been edited by Sid Post (edited March 18, 2000).]
Old March 18, 2000, 04:07 PM   #5
Don Parsley

Sid, I have looked at several,but think I'm leaning toward the KKM. It seems to be the best deal overall(cost,no fitting,reputation.
Old March 18, 2000, 08:50 PM   #6
rinoray

I have a Glock 22 and have a KKM barrel for it. Great barrel, drop in, and no fitting issues. Highly recommend and the price is less than Barsto & Jarvis. Great machine work and finish. IMHO!