The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 2, 2021, 10:17 AM   #26
Seedy Character

Anything .40S&W

Ammo will be extremely hard to come by and get even harder as new arms aren't chambered for it.
Old August 2, 2021, 10:38 AM   #27
lamarw

With the current political push, there are a lot of big sales on current inventory of AR type pistols with braces.
Old August 2, 2021, 11:00 AM   #28
scoobysnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
I can't think of anything in particular that seems likely to be discontinued if it has any popularity to its name. Even older designs which are often exaggerated as "obsolete" like the 1911, Beretta 92 Series, Walther PPK, CZ75, various SIG pistols, and Revolvers in general seem to be going strong long after they've fallen out of use by Military/Law Enforcement.
I think the fear was the eventual demise of the Beretta 92, after the military dropped it. But it seems to hold onto a fair market share, even though there was a lot of griping about it (the Sig was better, the slide can break, the gun is too big for the caliber, etc). I think that's because it's still generally perceived as a nice gun and a great soft shooter by users, and Beretta understands it's their signature handgun. Nobody cares about or recognizes the Storm or things like that.
Old August 2, 2021, 04:01 PM   #29
Sunflowers+Sixguns

Anything in .380 seems like a pretty hard sell at this point. The rise of the SIG P365, Hellcat Micro, and similar subcompact 9MMs are pretty competitive against the bulk of the .380 market in a more universal cartridge. Why the hell wouldn't you buy one of the new wonder 9s when they're very competitive for size and share ammo/mags with larger carry guns? The P365 in particular seems like a very hard act to follow.
Old August 2, 2021, 05:22 PM   #30
bedbugbilly

If I had to guess, it would be any of them based on the 1911 platform . . . . let's see . . . 110 years old . . . nobody likes 'em and the novelty of them will certainly wear thin . . . . Ha . . . Ha . . . Ha . . . Ha!!!!!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 2, 2021, 05:26 PM   #31
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacker View Post
I think the fear was the eventual demise of the Beretta 92, after the military dropped it. But it seems to hold onto a fair market share, even though there was a lot of griping about it (the Sig was better, the slide can break, the gun is too big for the caliber, etc). I think that's because it's still generally perceived as a nice gun and a great soft shooter by users, and Beretta understands it's their signature handgun. Nobody cares about or recognizes the Storm or things like that.
I was in that camp that I felt the 92 was a terrible choice as a military sidearm, but for police and recreational/competition shooting I've turned a corner and have been thinking about getting one or the PT92 because I want a heavy pistol to shoot 9mm and soak up recoil.

Also, I've yet to find one DA/SA pistol that has a bad SA trigger.
Old August 2, 2021, 05:27 PM   #32
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers+Sixguns View Post
Anything in .380 seems like a pretty hard sell at this point. The rise of the SIG P365, Hellcat Micro, and similar subcompact 9MMs are pretty competitive against the bulk of the .380 market in a more universal cartridge. Why the hell wouldn't you buy one of the new wonder 9s when they're very competitive for size and share ammo/mags with larger carry guns? The P365 in particular seems like a very hard act to follow.
Because stuff like LCP's are still smaller.
Old August 2, 2021, 05:52 PM   #33
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Because stuff like LCP's are still smaller.
And weigh about a Half Pound less.
Old August 2, 2021, 06:47 PM   #34
Bill DeShivs

You can't make a 9mm as small as you can make a .380.
You can't make a .380 as small as you can make a .32.
And, you can't make a .32 as small as you can make a .25.
Old August 2, 2021, 09:22 PM   #35
Mosin44az

Hopefully.40 ammo will still be available. I have a vested interest, since I still own four.

All those millions of .40 cals that were sold in the 90s and 00s surely didn’t just disappear, and I think the bigger bullet is an advantage for an outdoors gun.

But looks like ZERO incentive for manufacturers to make any new .40 pistols, these days.

Last edited by Mosin44az; August 4, 2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old August 3, 2021, 01:38 AM   #36
wild cat mccane

Product life cycle is killing us right now. The PPQ was the hottest pistol. Remember, even it slowed down to the point that Walther was offering a 100 dollar rebate making it below 400 dollars 2 years ago.

Walther is having us wait to get PPQ models already made in the new PDP models. The non discontinued PPQs are all PPQ slide. I expect the PPQ Q4 Tac will go first.

The Beretta lineup will remain, but only because they have basically nothing. PX4 is great, but will be obscurity. The Nano is already gone but still being sold (replaced by the APX Carry).

Sig P226s. Flagship gun. Can't find it anymore for a long while but in the Legion format. Doesn't bode well for the classic P226. AXG replaces Enhanced, Elite, blah blah. Sig is the worst for this. I bet a P320 like 22 ends up replacing the branded Mosquito.

Ruger Security 9 is about the worst gun out there from a major manufacturer. I suspect it stays for price until Ruger can copy something else.

S&W 2.0 is less nice than the new Shield Plus. So...I doubt a 2.0 will be the end of that numbering system.

HK VP9 or is it the SFP9? With the new single stack coming...days might be numbered for this G17 sized gun? Or the end of the P2000 or P30.

G2 Taurus and G3. All Millennium/PT111s, this might be the longest "version" "generation" series of all handguns. GX4 literally has 4 in it. Bye G2 with sudden current bottom pricing.

Canik TP9SF/TP9SFX. We know a new TP9SFX version 2 is coming. Turkey is having a hard time sourcing parts to bring it to the US. When it does, all version will get an update as its rumored to improve everything.

G34 Gen4. Just waiting on the Gen5. No benefit for the Gen4 while having no contracts like the Gen3 and Gen4 G19/G17.

FN whatever there current line up is...you don't know it, I don't know it.

The worst bet though? Any SBR pretending to be a pistol with the "brace" that hasn't fooled anyone.
Old August 3, 2021, 03:13 AM   #37
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers+Sixguns View Post
380's Hard sell? Lol, the Ruger LCPMax is selling like crazy. Does not appear like the 380 is going anywhere.
But then again, with the Turbulent times, who the hell knows anything any more. If some guns are discontinued, then many will be Excellent purchases due to the fact that there are some great firearms out there and they will be reduced in Price. Most people are not shooting much as it is anyway.
I am not interested in buying any NEW guns right now. Except maybe a 22.cal or.
If I did not already have a half dozen or more small 380's I would consider another LCP GEN 2 if they could go around $199, which I suspect will happen. The Price is getting close now.
Old August 3, 2021, 05:54 AM   #38
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
380's Hard sell? Lol, the Ruger LCPMax is selling like crazy. Does not appear like the 380 is going anywhere.
I agree the 380 will be here for a long time, but where is the LCP Max selling like crazy? A few lgses have gotten them in and they’re just sitting. Heck I think it was you yourself that pointed out if you want a 380 you want as small as possible and that isn’t the Max. I’m personally a bit skeptical the LCP Max will see the same success as the other overstuffed micro compacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 3, 2021, 07:04 AM   #39
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I agree the 380 will be here for a long time, but where is the LCP Max selling like crazy? A few lgses have gotten them in and they’re just sitting. Heck I think it was you yourself that pointed out if you want a 380 you want as small as possible and that isn’t the Max. I’m personally a bit skeptical the LCP Max will see the same success as the other overstuffed micro compacts.

I have no desire at all for the Max or the over stuffed Micro 9mms as well.
Just getting my info from the Ruger forum and my own LGS whom I was just at last week and twice this week. What he does have, is plenty of is Sig 365's, Hellcats and SSCY. Go Figure. He told me that Glocks are are hard to get as well, and they sell as soon as they come in like the LCPMax. I get the Glocks being sold out. And I get the fact that he has plenty of the Ruger LC9 Max, but cannot keep a LCR in stock.
Lol, I can't figure out this crazy market and the crazy fads. But fads come and go. That I do know.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; August 3, 2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old August 3, 2021, 07:33 AM   #40
TunnelRat

Which handguns do you think will be discontinued soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
I have no desire at all for the Max or the over stuffed Micro 9mms as well.
Just getting my info from the Ruger forum and my own LGS whom I was just at last week and twice this week. What he does have, is plenty of is Sig 365's, Hellcats and SSCY. Go Figure. He told me that Glocks are are hard to get as well, and they sell as soon as they come in like the LCPMax.
Heck, I can't figure out the crazy market and the crazy fads.

To be fair I’m not sure the Ruger forum is the most unbiased estimate of sales of Ruger products.

The P365 has been out for 3.5 years, the Hellcat for almost 2 years, and even the SCCY DVG-1 has been out for over a year (nor does SCCY get the same level of press as the others in my estimation). The P365 has been one of the best selling pistols since it’s release and the Hellcat seems to do well too. There is usually a period of time after a product is initially released where it sells, seemingly in no small part because people like to try new things. The bigger question, to me, is how well it will keep selling a year and two years from now. Near me the LCP Max is $370, so it’s not priced unfairly imo.

Old August 3, 2021, 07:39 AM   #41
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
To be fair I’m not sure the Ruger forum is the most unbiased estimate of sales of Ruger products.

The P365 has been out for 3.5 years, the Hellcat for almost 2 years, and even the SCCY DVG-1 has been out for over a year (nor does SCCY get the same level of press as the others in my estimation). The P365 has been one of the best selling pistols since it’s release and the Hellcat seems to do well too. There is usually a period of time after a product is initially released where it sells, seemingly in no small part because people like to try new things. The bigger question, to me, is how well it will keep selling a year and two years from now. Near me the LCP Max is $370, so it’s not priced unfairly imo.

I get the impression that the LCP Max is also going through the Sig 365 beta testing as they seem to be having a lot of issues. But, again, who knows what will be going on in two to three years. The LCP Gen 2 is still being sold as well as the Sig 938 and 238. Lol (At least I think they are still being sold, and personally would prefer them if given a choice)
I think it will be interesting to see how the New Taurus GX4 will do.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; August 3, 2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old August 3, 2021, 10:28 AM   #42
Lima Oscar 7

In a free market economy, justification is paramount to any financial decision. I have dealt with ammo manufactures for going on 3 decades. The .40 caliber it’s nowhere near extinction although it’s popularity has been diminished with the advent of advances in technology particularly with 9mm choices.

I have had excellent results with both the HKVP9 and HKP 30. HK has never been a market sales leader per se. They tend to focus on specialized applications but usually have a few nice contracts. The issue with HK is practicality. It’s hard to justify the $50-$70 magazine cost of a VP9 when a Glock 17 will do just fine and the magazines are $15-$25 depending upon who is buying them.

I say justification will determine what handguns are continued and which handguns get the axe.
Old August 3, 2021, 10:51 AM   #43
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Oscar 7 View Post
In a free market economy, justification is paramount to any financial decision. I have dealt with ammo manufactures for going on 3 decades. The .40 caliber it’s nowhere near extinction although it’s popularity has been diminished with the advent of advances in technology particularly with 9mm choices.

I have had excellent results with both the HKVP9 and HKP 30. HK has never been a market sales leader per se. They tend to focus on specialized applications but usually have a few nice contracts. The issue with HK is practicality. It’s hard to justify the $50-$70 magazine cost of a VP9 when a Glock 17 will do just fine and the magazines are $15-$25 depending upon who is buying them.

I say justification will determine what handguns are continued and which handguns get the axe.

I don’t know your location, but assuming you’re not in a restricted state if you’re paying $50-$70 for a VP9 magazine you’re not shopping hard enough:

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/50255803

Old August 3, 2021, 12:07 PM   #44
Lima Oscar 7

Duly noted. Thanks.
Old August 4, 2021, 09:14 AM   #45
wild cat mccane

CZ Shadow 2 appears to answer this question if the question is soonest.

It's being replaced by the CZ TS2.

CZ might rival Sig for making 50 million variants of the same thing and killing them off at random.
Old August 4, 2021, 12:44 PM   #46
bamaranger

GAP .45

I am astounded that GLOCK still offers pistols in .45 GAP. (?) I suspect and have seen stated, that the GAP survives as it has a following in countries where "military calibers" are prohibited. I wonder though how large that market might be?

Similarly, the continued survival of the .357 SIG is a wonder. With US and Euro LE agencies almost universally adopting the 9mm, the bottleneck SIG's day might be c0ming soon.

The old speedster, the .38 Super is on my endangered list as well.
Old August 4, 2021, 04:16 PM   #47
lll Otto lll

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
CZ Shadow 2 appears to answer this question if the question is soonest.

It's being replaced by the CZ TS2.
I kind-of doubt that.. the TS2 is single action only so it's not legal for Production division.
But the Shadow 2 is legal and arguably one of CZ's best selling models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Anything made by Sig, who has a nasty habit of continually discontinuing models.
Sadly true. What's worse, is that certain spare parts will no longer be available.

Last edited by lll Otto lll; August 4, 2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old August 4, 2021, 05:21 PM   #48
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin44az View Post
Hopefully.40 ammo will still be available. I have a vested interest, since I still own four.

All those millions of .40 cals that were sold in the 90s and 00s surely didn’t just disappear, and I think the bigger bullet is an advantage for an outdoors gun.

But looks like ZERO incentive for manufacturers to make any, these days.
You look at all the unpopular calibers like .45 GAP, 7.62x25, 9x18 Mak and ammo is still made for them. .40 is far, FAR more popular than all three of those calibers combined, they'll be making ammo for .40 for a very long time.

Also, .40 shoots fine in most 10mm's, so if people want a lower recoil and cheap/available ammo for 10mm, .40 is it.
Old August 4, 2021, 05:26 PM   #49
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
I am astounded that GLOCK still offers pistols in .45 GAP. (?) I suspect and have seen stated, that the GAP survives as it has a following in countries where "military calibers" are prohibited. I wonder though how large that market might be?

Similarly, the continued survival of the .357 SIG is a wonder. With US and Euro LE agencies almost universally adopting the 9mm, the bottleneck SIG's day might be c0ming soon.

The old speedster, the .38 Super is on my endangered list as well.
The .357 Sig will die a slow death, but when all it takes to make one is a different barrel and a stiffer recoil spring I don't see the current companies who still make them (I think it's just Glock and Sig now, right?) will drop them.

.38 Super will be around so long as there are people who want 1911's and something faster than .45 ACP, although I suspect 10mm is going to be replacing .38 Super soon for that role.
Old August 4, 2021, 05:29 PM   #50
Forte S+W

A lot of folks seem to share an irrational preconception that if a firearm chambered in a certain cartridge which is no longer popular, then demand for ammunition for it will diminish as well and therefore production of the cartridge will slow to a stop, as if everyone who already owns firearms chambered in said cartridge has lost all interest in shooting it or has somehow amassed a practically inexhaustible supply of ammunition with which to feed it.

Meanwhile, ammo manufacturers continue to produce cartridges which have long since fall out of use such as .44-40, 7.62 Mauser, 9x18 Makarov, and more. Why? Because regardless of their current status, they were once extremely popular, and therefore a large amount of firearms were made chambered in them, firearms which have current owners who at least like to shoot them occasionally, and don't possess an inexhaustible supply of ammunition.

Last edited by Forte S+W; August 4, 2021 at 11:21 PM.