The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 29, 2021, 08:53 AM   #76
HiBC

My standard 257 AI load is a 115 gr Ballistic Tip with H4831 SC. It works for me.

I would guess H-4831 SC and a 115 BT would be worth a try with a 250 -3000 standard or AI if you had 1 in 10 twist
Early on,before Nosler released the 115 BT, I was using 100 gr Sierra BTs and IMR 4350. That performed very well. I'd guess t would be good in a 250-3000
Old September 29, 2021, 11:18 AM   #77
ligonierbill

My backordered Sierra 87s arrived, so I am going to work them up for my old Savage 20 (the slow twist gal). Sierra got 3,100 with H380 and Alliant Varmint. I have just enough H380 left to load a series, so we'll see how she does.
Old September 29, 2021, 03:00 PM   #78
Scorch

My go-to powders for 250 Savage are IMR3031 and W748. For the 257 Roberts, it was IMR4320 and IMR 4350. But there are so many powders out there now that everyone can use different powders and find those "pet loads".
Old October 3, 2021, 09:09 AM   #79
std7mag

Well, the barreled action on my bench rest rifle is put together.
After some phone calls to Wolfe Gun Springs, i finally have the trigger down to a nice, consistant 8 ounces.
Now waiting on the stock builder.

Since the mainstream bullet makers are still so overwhelmed, i've started looking more at the mono bullet makers.

Hammer's Absolute Hammer are showing a velocity increase of approximately 200 fps over like weight bullets.
Now to talk them into an Absolute Target Hammer.

I've shot Cutting Edge MTH line in my 7mm's. They gave excellent accuracy.
I'll get with them on a solid target bullet.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 6, 2021, 12:19 PM   #80
ligonierbill

Got the Savage 20 back to the range this morning. Sierra got 3,100 out of their 87 Varminters with H380, but mine could only manage 3,060. But, at 0.4 gr. below their max, mine ran 2,998 with a SD of 1.9. All grouped pretty well, albeit 9" high. Since the aperture is on the bottom, I need to add a minimum of 0.0725" to the front sight (yes, I passed geometry). The 20 has a blade-and-bead front sight mounted in an axial slot. Somehow, I need to replace it or add a bit. Since I used up my H380, I'll go to BL-C(2) or 748, but it looks like my old girl could be a deerslayer afterall.
Old October 6, 2021, 02:13 PM   #81
Hanshi

I long ago settled on 3031 in my Ruger M77 and 4320 in the M99. The loads are not high velocity and were worked up for their super accuracy. Both the 100 grain and 87 grain are loaded with the same powder although the powder amount is slightly increased for the 87 grn.
Old October 9, 2021, 01:03 PM   #82
hoofmender

Hanshi, You mentioned you were getting 32-3300 FPS out of a 100 grainer with your 257roberts. Would you kindly share your powder/load data? I’m not coming close to that at max +P charges???? My custom 257AI, on the other hand, achieves those speeds on a regular basis. Thanks DW
Old October 10, 2021, 02:06 PM   #83
std7mag

Hoofmender,

A lot would depend upon barrel length.
But give a look at Hodgdon Hybrid 100V.

Don't forget there's a difference between max velocity & most accurate.
Don't get hung up on velocities.

Last edited by std7mag; October 10, 2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old October 10, 2021, 07:49 PM   #84
hoofmender

Thanks for answering… I know that max velocities and best accuracy seldom go hand in hand. I’ve reloaded quarter bobs for decades and have never found anything that will actually push a 100 grainer that fast when actually checked with a chronograph ������… my 257AIs can do it. I’m still interested in what the poster who claimed 3200’+ used to achieve those numbers. Thanks again. DW
Old October 13, 2021, 07:38 AM   #85
std7mag

Hoofmender,

What bullet weights & powder burn range are you using in the 257 Roberts AI?
I recently built one on a Savage 111.
I'm trying to use the 115-120gr bullet weights.
Did a ladder test with 120gr Sierra HPBT GameKings & Norma MRP powder. About same burn rate as RL22.
I'm less than happy with the MRP. Seemed too slow burning. Lots of carbon around the necks.
I'm leaning towards RL19, or Ramshot Hunter.

Has anyone tried Super Performance in the AI?
I ask because it's readily available in my area.

Old October 13, 2021, 08:11 AM   #86
stagpanther

FYI for you lovers of quarterbores--I just logged onto creedmoor sports and found that they have Berger 135 gr target hybrids in stock, only thing is 500 count only but I jumped on a box anyway. I ordered some blackjacks approaching a month ago and my impression it's just vaporware until he gets enough orders--so please order some!!

Quote:
Super Performance
I assume you mean superformance; I've never been able to achieve consistent results with it in any cartridge I've tried it in, so I pretty much gave up on it and ignore it.

Last edited by stagpanther; October 13, 2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old October 13, 2021, 06:56 PM   #87
std7mag

The 131gr Blackjack Ace is made for Blackjack by Sierra.

Once Sierra can get the jacket material for their own bullets, i'm sure they'll pump out some Blackjacks.

Old October 14, 2021, 09:06 AM   #88
stagpanther

Quote:
Once Sierra can get the jacket material for their own bullets, i'm sure they'll pump out some Blackjacks.
Hopefully that's soon, BJ pops you for full payment upon order.
Old October 18, 2021, 05:03 AM   #89
stagpanther

I thought I had it made with the Berger bullets order--Fedex reports the bar code was messed up, and that they had replaced it (not sure what that means) but the tracking and delivery status is now unknown.
Old October 18, 2021, 05:31 AM   #90
std7mag

That sucks!

I'm still looking for 115gr, 25 caliber Berger VLDs.

Alas, last time i saw those, Federal 210M primers were around too.

Looks like the Savage 111 in 257 Roberts AI likes RL19 with the 120gr Partitions.

Old October 18, 2021, 07:27 AM   #91
stagpanther

Get the partitions while you can--like many older classics they are getting harder to find and more expensive--but they shoot just fine.
Old October 18, 2021, 01:04 PM   #92
hoofmender

stag, I have never had good luck with the Partions as far as accuracy goes...bullet performance has always been exceptional......just can't get them to shoot under MOA no matter what I've tried.... the last box of 25 cal 115's that I weighed had a low to high spread of almost 4 grains! (3.8)..... with that kind of variation, it's no wonder they look like a shotgun pattern.... :-)DW
Old November 28, 2021, 08:51 AM   #93
std7mag

Well, i took the Stevens 200, chambered in 250 Savage out for PA opening day, yesterday.
Using 100gr Ballistic Tips over RL17.

Performance was mixed.

Shot at a buck about 40 yards. Missed him, but got a 1" branch. We grid searched for 90 minutes. No blood, no deer.

I shot a doe later in the day. Again about 40-50 yards. She was bedded in some briars. Had she not stood up, i'd have never known she was there.
Good broadside shot. She went about 5 yards, then went in 2 circles and she was down.
Entry wound, no exit. A first for me with Ballistic Tips.

I'm thinking i'll keep using this as my coyote rifle with 75gr Sierra HP Varminters, or 90gr BlitzKings.

Old November 28, 2021, 09:08 AM   #94
std7mag

@Hoofmender,

I'm finding decent accuracy with the 120gr Partitions in my Savage 111 in 257 Roberts AI.
Holding just under an inch at 100 yards, 3 inches at 300 yards.
I did find some bullets with tip deformation. Curled over about 45°.
I filed the tip straight and used those as foulers.

After dragging 6 deer yesterday, along with all the hanging & skinning, my friend and i are taking today off.
I'll be taking the AI out tomorrow, as i still have my buck tag and a doe tag left.

Old November 28, 2021, 11:23 AM   #95
stagpanther

Quote:
stag, I have never had good luck with the Partions as far as accuracy goes...bullet performance has always been exceptional......just can't get them to shoot under MOA no matter what I've tried.... the last box of 25 cal 115's that I weighed had a low to high spread of almost 4 grains! (3.8)..... with that kind of variation, it's no wonder they look like a shotgun pattern.... :-)DW
Full disclosure--I haven't shot 25 cal partitions (yet); but all the other calibers I've tried them in they perform very well for an "obsolete" partition design. Never once heard a hunter up here in Maine complain about them.
Old November 28, 2021, 02:10 PM   #96
std7mag

Update....

Buck was found this morning.
My friends mom found it on the way to her stand this morning.
We think the branch i hit caused the bullet to go off aim, and tumble.
Deer was hit back & high. Friend said bullet hole was oblong.
She used her buck tag on it, which i'm good with. She found it and dressed it. Friend drug it out for her.

I'm just glad it was found and someone making good use of the meat.

Old November 28, 2021, 02:14 PM   #97
stagpanther

I was going to ask how far the stick went before it dropped.
Old November 30, 2021, 03:23 PM   #98
Scorch

Quote:
I have never had good luck with the Partions as far as accuracy goes...bullet performance has always been exceptional......just can't get them to shoot under MOA no matter what I've tried
I agree tha the Partitions are not the most accurate bullet available, but their terminal performance is hard to beat. While you may never get them to shoot better than MOA, I am still looking for a deer whose vitals are smaller than MOA. I shot Partitions for years until I decided I needed cheaper bullets. Funny thing, it makes no difference to the animals I have shot, they are still dead.
Old December 1, 2021, 03:35 AM   #99
std7mag

@Scorch,

I got my Partitions as seconds from Nosler's Shooters Pro Shop.
$17 per hundred. I picked up 200.

Old December 1, 2021, 06:49 AM   #100
stagpanther

I've managed sub-MOA with partitions out to 200 and 300 yds with Weatherby factory ammo--but they recently decided to retire the partition from their line--very unfortunately, IMO.