The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 13, 2021, 11:14 AM   #26
HiBC

On the 3 D printer: Remember that the 3D printer is only a substitute for a person with skills.

On Alphabet regulatory agencies,and appointing activists to head them,
I offer a quote from C S Lewis:

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”
Old June 13, 2021, 01:14 PM   #27
dogtown tom

Quote:
FrankenMauser
3D printed braces fall into the same grey area as half of the "real" braces on the market. It doesn't matter who made it. If the goal is to make "unauthorized" braces go away, then you have to include the homemade in any free amnesty.
Says who?
The ATF isn't under any such restriction, and the recently proposed worksheet on criteria for braces gives insight into their thought process. From the worksheet it seems some braces are acceptable, hence no need for grandfathering or amnesty.

And the goal isn't making "unauthorized" braces go away, but to backpedal on their original determination.

Quote:
Obviously. But you're missing the point. It isn't about the manufacturers that can make a million braces. Those braces mean absolutely nothing unless they sell. The point of 3D printed braces is that they can come from anywhere, can be adapted to any firearm, and if the ATF offered a free amnesty, people would start printing 'free tax stamps' in the form of pistol braces, as fast as possible.
How old are you? Remember 1986?
Gun manufacturers and makers were churning out every auto sear and machine gun receiver they could prior to implementation of the Hughes Amendment.
Remember the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban? Manufacturers produced millions of pistol and rifle magazines that guess what.........were legal to sell throughout the AWB. PreBans still bring a premium

A "free amnesty" affects manufacturers and 3D printers exactly the same. If it was made before a deadline on manufacturing.....its grandfathered. If manufactured or 3D printed afterward its not.

Quote:
Commercial manufacturers don't get 'free tax stamps', the end user does.
Says who?
Until illegal, they are legal. If possession of something is legal now, it doesn't matter if made by a 3D printer or commercial manufacturer.

Quote:
And the end user is where these 3D printed braces get created.
FYI......you don't need a 3D printer to make an arm brace.

Quote:
Just because you cannot understand the 3D printed gun world and the impact that it is having does not mean that it does not exist.
No, sir. I fully understand the 3D printed gun world. But we aren't talking about 3D printed guns, but an accessory that requires no license to make, print or manufacture.

Quote:
It is a good indicator, however, that you may have your head in the sand. "Doesn't interest me, so it doesn't matter."
You quoted something I didn't write.

Quote:
You are not alone, though. The gun world, as a whole, does not understand the 3D printing world - especially the 3D printed guns. Ignorance is the majority attitude.
Being that 3D printed guns are an incredibly small percentage of firearms its should surprise you. Statistically insignificant.

Quote:
3D printed firearms and accessories are all over the ATF's radar. About 30% of the "Ghost Gun parts kit" crackdown is worded to directly impact companies selling parts kits for 3D printed guns. --Not "80%" ARs, "80%" 1911s, or "80%" Glocks; but 3D printed firearms - like the MacDaddy, FGC9, Big Point, and CZAR.
The end result, if implemented as the ATF desires, will impact the "80%" market as well. But the wording is meant to shut down or severely hinder the suppliers of kits and parts for 3D printed firearms, while simultaneously compromising some designs for the people that want to remain legal (by way of the visible serial number requirement).
Yeah, we know that.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Last edited by dogtown tom; June 13, 2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old June 13, 2021, 09:25 PM   #28
Geezerbiker

When 3D printers that can print in aluminum become available to the public, the liberals are really going to mess themselves. Right now they're really high end items mostly used in aerospace but technology has a way of trickling down to the public.

Right now 3D printers that can print in nylon are already making stuff way stronger than the original 3D printed plastic stuff...

As to the data files for gun parts, that toothpaste has been out of the tube so long it's never going back in...

Tony
Old June 14, 2021, 12:22 PM   #29
GE-Minigun

Quote:
Form 4 for is for transferring an existing NFA firearm.
Form 1 is for making a new NFA firearm.
Correct...I was told you sent in the F4...I questioned the guy telling me the story...he mentioned something about the gun already being made/declared NFA. It's been years ago, so not 100% positive on how conversation flowed and I very well could not be remembering correctly
Old June 14, 2021, 01:20 PM   #30
FrankenMauser

How many times are you going to edit your post, tom?
I can't reply if it keeps changing.