The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 1, 2020, 08:43 PM   #26
ReloadKy

reynolds i am not sure. It felt good but I could not see any markings on it to identify.
Old June 1, 2020, 09:05 PM   #27
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I like the 6mm creedmoor a bunch too, have 2 AR builds in them though--though I just discovered and became infatuated with the 6mm BR Norma.
I have been infatuated with it since it was the 6Br Rem.
Old June 1, 2020, 10:47 PM   #28
stagpanther

Quote:
I have been infatuated with it since it was the 6Br Rem
Drives me nuts the names are used interchangeably.
Old June 2, 2020, 02:53 AM   #29
std7mag

That's because the cartridge is the same. The chamber is different.
And the difference is in the standardizing body. SAAMI vs CIP.
Think 6.5-284 Win, and 6.5-284 Norma.
223 Rem vs 5.56 NATO.

Taylorce,

Factory ammo? Really?!
We've seen the quality of your firearms.
Like putting 87 Octane in your Lambo...

And while Chinese made, you may want to take a look at Arken Optics.
Been getting great reviews, under $600, they have MOA reticles, zero stop, and 0.5% tracking gaurantee.
Old June 2, 2020, 03:44 AM   #30
old roper

I have 22BR and I've had 6BR. Neither one was spec. I neck down Rem 7BR brass for 22BR and I have reamer for 22BR and life time supply Rem 7BR brass and nickel cases.

When they came out with 6BR Norma that killed Rem case.
NRA Life Member
Old June 2, 2020, 07:50 AM   #31
stagpanther

If you're talking the "original" 6mm BR and the spec 6mm BR Norma--which is why it's hard to tell what you actually are getting when you buy stuff, since the 6mm BR has more or less been replaced by the Norma, and now it's not uncommon that "6mm BR Norma" name is used to refer to both. The Wilson case gage I bought is called "6mm BR short" and a Norma case will protrude from the neck datum as a result of the longer neck to accommodate the bullets seated further out into the longer throated 6mm BR Norma chamber.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 2, 2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old June 2, 2020, 07:55 AM   #32
stagpanther

getting back on topic--I decided to bed the forend of the Hogue stock because the aluminum bed was just too thin in the forend and the flex was about as bad as on a Tupperware stock. Hope to see some improvement.
Old June 2, 2020, 11:03 AM   #33
std7mag

Stag,
We need to get that rifle some color coordination.

I can't believe your wearing that color scope, with that barrel, and action...
It's after Memorial Day for hecks sake!
Old June 2, 2020, 01:07 PM   #34
old roper

What powder and bullet you going to use 280AI?
NRA Life Member
Old June 2, 2020, 04:48 PM   #35
reynolds357

I dont use them interchangeably. I had a Br Remington. It is now a BR Norma.
Old June 2, 2020, 07:34 PM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
We need to get that rifle some color coordination.
You have a can or two of pink cerokote left over?
Quote:
What powder and bullet you going to use 280AI?
I started off with H1000 since I have an 8lbr--but it is going fast since it's my go-to for my 338LM so it's time to try something else. Any recommendations? Also, I made the mistake of ordering a full-length bushing die when I now think I should just use a neck sizer die on the fired cases. I'm also looking for a chamber case guage but nobody seems to make them--the closest solution I could find is PTG's "284 family" gauge. I just tried 162 eldm's--got so-so results but I'm still tweaking the stock and my shooting technique so a lot of that may be me.

I've also figured out that the chamber has a pretty long freebore/throat; so much so that unless the bullet design has a pretty far forward base of ogive in order to get it close to the lands I have to seat long skinny things like vld's way past what the magazine can accommodate--so it looks like this may become a single shot hand feed.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 3, 2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old June 3, 2020, 07:14 AM   #37
stagpanther

Winds have been blasting for the past 4 days--looks like we might get a break today and backing off to a (light for here on the coast) 8 to 14. If I have time to load some stuff up I'll give it another try.
Old June 3, 2020, 07:44 AM   #38
old roper

stagpanther, I've been having good luck with IMR-7828ssc and I use mine for hunting. I had it custom throated and seater made from chamber reamer.

Not much help.
NRA Life Member
Old June 3, 2020, 08:32 AM   #39
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag
Taylorce,

Factory ammo? Really?! 
We've seen the quality of your firearms. 
Like putting 87 Octane in your Lambo... 
Thanks for the compliment on my rifles.

Unfortunately making a living 100% on call 24/7 or living out of state 5 days a week are my only options right now. Plus averaging 60+ hours a week through the month doesn't help. I'd just rather spend my time shooting when I get the chance vs. load development/reloading. I've seriously looked at the custom ammunition route, but it's really expensive about $5-600 for the first 100 rounds of developed ammunition. I'll have to go that direction with a couple of rifles, but I cant afford to do it with all of them.
Old June 3, 2020, 09:40 AM   #40
stagpanther

Quote:
I recently saw a Savage 111 in 300 win mag with an aftermarket stock on it at a pwn shop. Barrel looked decent, some signs of use. EGW rail on it and it was priced for 299. Was it worth jumping on?
Sorry--didn't see your post til now. I have a 111 in 300 win mag--a LRH--and it has been a consistent shooter for years. If the receiver/bolt is in good shape and the barrel is good I'd be tempted if I didn't already have one. I'd avoid one with the bottom bolt release (not sure if they even ever made them that way)--makes it a PITA if you want to replace the stock. Sounds like a good buy to me--even if you have to replace the barrel.
Old June 4, 2020, 12:30 AM   #41
stagpanther

I'm beginning to learn the consequences of having a barrel-heavy balance.
Old June 4, 2020, 11:00 AM   #42
stagpanther

Took the stock back off and am going to do more work, I'm convinced there must be some stress in the mating of the receiver someplace. Yesterday I tried 180 vld's driven by RL22 and the numbers were quite impressive (the winds had backed off just enough that I didn't worry about the labradar blowing over). I also put a hellfire brake on to tamp down the muzzle left somewhat and that definitely helped--but talk about LOUD report, it's up there with the biggest cartridges I fire. Groupings are still mediocre unfortunately.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg labradar 280 AI 22 RL 180 vld.jpg (65.1 KB, 69 views)
Old June 4, 2020, 11:59 AM   #43
brasscollector

I haven't played with my 280AI that much yet. However, a friends I was able to do some load workup on last year produced much better groups with RL19 than it did with RL22. The velocity was, for the most part, in the same range between the two.
Did you use Manson's standard headspace gauges or a "down and dirty" set?
Old June 4, 2020, 12:22 PM   #44
stagpanther

Quote:
Did you use Manson's standard headspace gauges
I used Manson's--they are very high quality.

The velocities above I was getting out of my criterion barrel with uncompressed loads below some of the max charge weights I've seen. I wasn't getting much improvement in additional charge weights, so I decided why bother since all I was likely doing was increasing pressures without much gain in velocity.

The RL 22 also burns very nicely and uniformly in my set-up with little to clean--the H1000 loads were sending residual fireballs out the muzzle and left a lot of residue in the bore.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 4, 2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old June 4, 2020, 03:39 PM   #45
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I used Manson's--they are very high quality.

The velocities above I was getting out of my criterion barrel with uncompressed loads below some of the max charge weights I've seen. I wasn't getting much improvement in additional charge weights, so I decided why bother since all I was likely doing was increasing pressures without much gain in velocity.

The RL 22 also burns very nicely and uniformly in my set-up with little to clean--the H1000 loads were sending residual fireballs out the muzzle and left a lot of residue in the bore.
H1000 is pretty good at doing that. It sounds funny in long barreled rifles also. Kind of a crack boom sound.
Old June 4, 2020, 05:08 PM   #46
stagpanther

Quote:
H1000 is pretty good at doing that. It sounds funny in long barreled rifles also. Kind of a crack boom sound.
Oh, I LOVE H1000 in my 338 lapua magnum loads, my favorite powder for that.

Worked some more on the Hogue stock today--did a little more bedding. Despite the full-length aluminum bed it comes with--it still flexes since the bed pretty thin past the lug slot. I also decided to fill the hollow buttstock to give it a bit more weight and stiffen it up.
Old June 8, 2020, 10:18 AM   #47
stagpanther

Finally got the bottom metal in for my Boyd's thumbhole featherweight which I've decided to treat my old savage 111 300 win mag to. This rifle has been faithfully serving me without complaints reliably shooting sub MOA out to 400 yards--even with off-the-shelf budget factory stuff-- for years with a wide variety of ammo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3098.jpg (237.7 KB, 67 views)
Old June 11, 2020, 12:26 PM   #48
stagpanther

Because of my gross negligence, I violated 7mag's sense of Feng shui and interior design and mounted my 280 AI build on a less than aesthetic stock, and for that I'm truly sorry. I didn't know, but now I do. To make amends, I bought a MDT gen 2 LSS XL chassis and remounted the action to it.

More importantly, I just never could figure out where the stress point was coming from in the Hogue stock, so I just gave up and went with the MDT. I also bought a Usuckometer from wearethebestshooters.com to see just how much improvement there really is by mounting to an MDT chassis.

I decided to go with 3.715 magazine since I can also use it for 300wm and 30-06 and the criterion barrel I have appears to be long-throated to accommodate big VLD's.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3116.jpg (221.1 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; June 11, 2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old June 18, 2020, 08:10 AM   #49
stagpanther

I made the fateful decision to pillar and bed the Boyd stock after close examination--the lug bed has no real support other than the wood (though there is an embedded cross bolt a couple of inches behind it) which using a 300 win mag I know would start compressing it. The bottom metal inlet was also compressing easily with not much torque--that would result in asymmetry pretty quickly in the bedding as far as I figured. The stock came with a pillar of sorts pressed into the front screw hole--but that was it. I can see why they don't pillar the rear screw--there's not much of anything there to put a hole through. Furthermore, savage often puts their rear action screw right up against the trigger group--in the axis it's actually part of it--so clearance between the pillar and sear/bolt release is a big obstacle. I spent a whole day trying to figure out why the bolt failed to cock when working the handle, in some areas the inletting was too tight--others too loose. I finally figured out that the trigger guard inlet was just a tad too deep and in the process of cocking the trigger housing rocked up against the trigger guard releasing the sear. It's like figuring out a puzzle.

Old June 18, 2020, 08:26 AM   #50
stagpanther

That was my first "failure mode project"; the second was the 6mm BR Norma which out of the blue started having FTF's with about 1 out of 20 cartridges. I thought it was the primers, but then the same thing happened after switching primers. I then suspected headspace likely was causing a light pin-strike. Although everything passed when I put the barrel on--sure enough the bolt closed on the Manson no-go without too much resistance, so I had to take it back apart and reseat the barrel. Everything go bang now.