The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Saltydog235

#$%@ 25 WSSM

Normally I can work up a load for a rifle and get decent results within the first couple of different loads but this one has me a little perplexed. The rifle, a Winchester 70, is my neighbors. It has a stainless 26" barrel, laminated wood stock, and a blued receiver but I didn't pay much attention to the type 70 it is.

I loaded 70grn Sierra Varmints over Varget and got the best results from them if 1.25" @ 100yds can be considered good. I loaded 3 different 100grn Sierra Gameking rounds with Varget, H4350 and H4831. The 4350 had the best group at 1.375" @ 100yds. The others strung out and varied from 2" to 3" overall. All rounds were pulled from the Hogdon online data with the load backed off about 1.5 grains. I noticed that a good many of the loads are compressed but didn't want to try a full compressed load to start. The data also listed is standard LR primer which I found suprising since the cartridge is designated a Magnum.

I loaded 5 rounds of IMR 7828 backed off from the max of 49.5 to 48.5 to see if that works. Hopefully results will be better but I'm not holding a lot of hope. I was told the rifle shot about 1", with factory ammo, new but has gone downhill since then, now shooting 2" with the same ammo. The owner says that the gun hasn't seen more than 500 rounds since it was bought.

Does anyone load for this booger and if you do, what is your pet load.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Don't load for it, but keep in mind that all the load work in the world won't make a rifle drive tacks if it has some other issue, such as needing to be bedded or have it's bolt lugs lapped or it's muzzle recrowned. I assume you checked for copper fouling build-up? I've had that throw accuracy off in a really rough bore.

Also note that compressed loads often a fine with a standard primer because there isn't much space for the primer to pressurize to start combustion, where a load that doesn't fill that case may need a magnum primer.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 16, 2011, 06:30 PM   #3
wncchester

"..I was told the rifle shot about 1", with factory ammo, new but has gone downhill since .."

Sounds like some really bad bore fouling or a failing scope to me. But, picking random loads to try is not a very effective way to find an accurate load.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:43 PM   #4
603Country

I'd have to agree with wnnchester. I had a rifle (270) that wasn't shooting as good as I remembered that it had. I cleaned the barrel real well, and that didn't solve the problem, so I got serious about cleaning it. I think the problem was copper fouling, and my previous history of not really cleaning it thoroughly was what had caused the accuracy problem. If that's not the answer to your particular problem, I'd swap out the scope for a trusted one and see what happens.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Loader9

Winchester chrome lined the barrels on a lot of these guns for a reason- the round is extremely hard on barrels. I'd have a smitty take a look at the throat. Sounds like it's already burnt out. Yes, Winchester was experiencing barrel life as short as 500 rounds.