The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 9, 2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Skans

dpms miculek stainless steel charging handle

I installed a stainless steel charging handle in one of my more used AR builds. It has functioned flawlessly without messing up the upper receiver at all. I would like to find another one, but can't find them anymore.

In looking for one of these charging handles again, I read a bunch of stuff claiming that they "might" not be compatible with the Aluminum upper receiver, etc, etc. Then, I realized that all of the bolt carriers are hardened steel, chrome or nickel plated and they don't mess up the upper receivers. I long ago completely dismissed any worry about with the Stainless charging handle. I just can't figure out why they stopped making them?
Old April 9, 2018, 08:04 PM   #2
anymanusa

It had to cost a pretty penny.
Old April 10, 2018, 07:36 AM   #3
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
I just can't figure out why they stopped making them?
I can only guess that the price made demand quite low. FWIW DS Arms makes one for $30-ish, but it isn't stainless. https://www.dsarms.com/p-15802-dsa-a...ard-latch.aspx
Old April 10, 2018, 09:05 AM   #4
Skans

Quote:
I can only guess that the price made demand quite low. FWIW DS Arms makes one for $30-ish, but it isn't stainless.
It's been so long since I purchased that stainless charging handle, I can't recall what I paid for it. I want to say it was around $60, but it could have been more.

While I like the fact mine is made out of stainless, I think I might order one or two of those forged steel charging handles. The worst it could do is rust, if the phosphate coating isn't done correctly. Worth it to me. Thanks.

\
Old April 12, 2018, 11:40 PM   #5
ed308

I just can't figure out why they stopped making them?

Weight and cost would be my guess. But some charging handler are over $100.
Old April 13, 2018, 09:18 AM   #6
zukiphile

Skans, or anyone who uses steel charging handles, is the desire for a steel part just the piece of mind that comes with a more robust part, or have you encountered problems with the standard charging handle in your use?

I've read mostly about the over-sized latches tearing out of aluminium CHs, and less frequently people bending the CH while it is extended.
Old April 15, 2018, 07:20 PM   #7
disseminator

I just put a NIBX coated one in a build, it was a little tight at first, but now it's great and looks neat too. It is more slippery than a black one.
Old April 16, 2018, 09:38 AM   #8
Skans

Quote:
Skans, or anyone who uses steel charging handles, is the desire for a steel part just the piece of mind that comes with a more robust part, or have you encountered problems with the standard charging handle in your use?
For me, peace of mind - I have seen a bent charging handle before, but I did not see how it got bent. I personally have never bent a charging handle. The weight difference is negligible between the stainless one I have and the aluminum one. the Stainless one I have is coated - you can't tell it's stainless just by looking at it, but you can feel the difference holding it side-by-side with an aluminum one.