The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 6, 2017, 09:25 PM   #26
CalmerThanYou

Steel, bowling pins, reactive, plastic soda bottles, golf balls, junk cars, fruit, I guess folks, including myself get tired of punching paper.
Old August 6, 2017, 09:51 PM   #27
B.L.E.

Quote:
Steel, bowling pins, reactive, plastic soda bottles, golf balls, junk cars, fruit, I guess folks, including myself get tired of punching paper.
That's why I love shooting flying clay targets.
Old August 6, 2017, 11:19 PM   #28
TheGunGeek

I use frangible rounds on steel, so no ricochet risk even at close distances. It's something to consider, and an easy change to make.
Old August 7, 2017, 01:44 PM   #29
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I use frangible rounds on steel, so no ricochet risk even at close distances. It's something to consider, and an easy change to make.
Nothing is perfect.

Somewhere around here, I have one of the frangible bullets from the original Federal Ballisti-Clean 9mm 'non-toxic' ammo. They used a twisted bundle of zinc wire - like a section of wire rope - compressed into a core inside a copper jacket.
One of them, opened up to look like a flailing octopus, smacked me near the gonads and stuck to my pants like metallic velcro, after ricocheting off an angled railroad tie plate at about 30 yards.

I can't find that bullet right now, but here's a link to one that someone picked apart to show construction: https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/st...#post-16941220

...Not at all something that you'd expect to ricochet. But it did.

Man, that was almost 20 years ago, now. Van Wagenens was still in business. (Source of both the pistol and the ammo.)
Old August 7, 2017, 07:20 PM   #30
TheGunGeek

FrankenMauser,

That doesn't sound like a frangible round to me. They are made of compressed copper powder with no casing. When the bullet hits something harder than itself it turns back into powder. I use either SinterFire bullets or ones from Ruag. Fiocchi also uses the SinterFire bullets in their frangible ammo.

See this for information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExxRBXpn7zU

And this for another demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlG5Y-FIl3Q
Old August 8, 2017, 01:15 PM   #31
FrankenMauser

There are different approaches to 'frangible'.
Some use powder.
Some use pellets.
Some use wire.
Some use segmented bullets.
Many approaches. Same basic result.
Old August 8, 2017, 03:04 PM   #32
Glenn E. Meyer

I had my chin split open by a bounce back from steel. I didn't notice it until someone said my beard was turning red. Ouch.

I did see a rifle round from a few lanes down the road, ricochet of something and give a guy a hell of whack on the top of his head. It was quite scary. I would have gone to the hospital but he didn't want to.

Saw a 45 ACP from a 625 bounce off a tire and give a guy a whack in the chest. Big bruise.
Old August 11, 2017, 10:35 AM   #33
bassJAM1

I've been hit several times from .45 ACP, .38 sp and 9mm rounds coming back at me from steel at normal handgun distances (under the 25 yards or whatever is recommended)

Luckily they just sting, but I've never been cut or anything. Also luckily it's never hit my wife or daughter when they've been shooting with me.

BB's are another thing that seems to have an attraction to me. I NEVER shoot with my daughter and her Red Ryder without eye protection (and neither does she), I've lost count of how many times I've had a bb come back and ping me in the face or glasses.

It's a wonder I never lost an eye as a kid, I went through 5,000 count Copperhead bb packs like candy back then and don't remember ever having a ricochet.