The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 29, 2017, 01:48 PM   #1
great scot

Just curious...

...but does anyone else have a favorite gun that's kind of odd? For me, it's my Beretta 418. Its is an antiquated design that shoots an anemic cartridge, but I love this little gun. It's points well, very reliable, no recoil, and exudes cool. I bought it after I read the early Bond novels, and then fell in love with the pistol. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Old July 29, 2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Dufus

Yes, thousands of people "bought" into the movie guns.

Remember Harry Callaghan and the millions that Smith & Wesson made off of the Dirty Harry franchise???
Old July 29, 2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Cyanide971

Just curious...

Most definitely have a favorite that is scorned by the majority of pistol shooters, that being my beloved CZ 100. True DAO with an 8 1/2# pull, the usual, excellent CZ grip ergonomics, very soft shooting, easy to carry, and plenty accurate enough for me. I had the grip stippled, then CZ Custom modded it by milling the slide and installing night sights for me, which makes me love it even more so.
Old July 29, 2017, 06:27 PM   #4
JoeSixpack

Weird guns.. no not really.
I Guess If I had to pick one out it would be my savage model 64
It was the first 22lr rifle I bought, it was cheap.. 110 (NIB) w/cheapo Simmons scope.
I sold the scope on ebay for 30 bucks lol

The stock never quite fit right, it's plastic stock.
It's always shot well but the barrel is like 22 or 24 inches.. which is just insane on a 22lr.. anything over 16 is pointless imo.

I keep wanting to cut it down but I don't have crowning tools.
Oh and the magazine slot looks like a keyhole.. lol

Despite it's funkiness it does shoot pretty well, Barska plinkster scope on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus View Post
Yes, thousands of people "bought" into the movie guns.

Remember Harry Callaghan and the millions that Smith & Wesson made off of the Dirty Harry franchise???
From what I've heard that series did S&W a real solid the .44's didn't sale all that well before Dirty Harry.
Old July 29, 2017, 07:23 PM   #5
ZEBRARANGER

Quote:
...but does anyone else have a favorite gun that's kind of odd?
Not too odd to me, but probably odd looking to some by todays standards. As a fun gun at the range, I really enjoy this Walther P38, my girls enjoy shooting it too.
Old July 29, 2017, 07:49 PM   #6
Bob Wright

Quote:
...but does anyone else have a favorite gun that's kind of odd?
Well,yes. This Cimarron/Uberti Navy Open Top .38 Special has become a favorite of late:

Accuracy is so-so with poor sights. And my load will punch through at least one thickness of paper at ten yards, maybe two. Recoil is nil. The fun part? The shape of the barrel stub directs the blast forward so soot and bullet lube are blown down range. the gun stays cleaner. The ejector takes some getting used to, as does upward barrel/cylinder flash. For precision shooting, its not a good bet. But it is fun!

Bob Wright
Old July 29, 2017, 10:34 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Most of my Milsurps may be considered "odd" by many. A couple variants of the Tokarev TT33, CZ52, 1895 Nagant revolver, and a Beretta 1934.
Hard to pick a fav from them though. They are all a lot of fun to shoot. But if I have to pick one for it's odd appeal on the range I have yo go with ghe CZ52. Besides it's rather unique profile, and unusual roller lock system (similar to the German MG42 machine gun) it is louder than most pistols, and in the dim light of evening emits an entertaining basket ball sized fireball out of the muzzle.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 29, 2017, 10:57 PM   #8
TruthTellers

Favorite gun? So many to choose from, but if I had to choose, it'd probably be a Glock. I just like the platform and modularity of a Glock. Buy a G21, u can make it into a 10mm, .45 Super, .460 Rowland, or a 9x25 Dillon. Then with a G27 or 35 you can have a .40, .357 sig, or 9mm. You can turn a Glock into a carbine, has so many accesories, so reliable, lightweight, extended magazines... Hard to beat.

For revolvers, it'd have to be a Ruger 4.2" SP jn .327. Low power .22 like ammo all the way up to .357 is nice. SP's need better triggers tho. My hand gets fatigued pulling in DA.
Old July 30, 2017, 10:38 AM   #9
Prndll

I feel like my Ruger MarkIII 22/45 Lite borders on 'odd'. Since Ruger quite making them and went full tilt for the MarkIV, the MarkIII pretty much just fell of the map. MarkI's and MarkII's get a great deal of love out there but all the frustration with the take-down and reassembly of the MarkIII seems to have sent everyone over the edge. After mastering it, I do feel a since of accomplishment that just makes me appreciate it so much more. It's not the best I have at much of anything but I will never willingly part with it.
Old July 30, 2017, 11:34 AM   #10
Onward Allusion

My favorite, H&R Hammerless Bicycle Revolver in 32 S&W . . . Completely rebuilt from inside out. The last time ammo ran it was maybe 3 years ago. I'd probably would never carry it unless I had no options but it is indeed my favorite. Really wish some company would make one out of modern materials that fired 32ACP. Hmmm, maybe a 3D Printer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HR Top Break Bicycle 32S&Wsm.jpg (93.0 KB, 33 views)
Old July 30, 2017, 07:13 PM   #11
elde

Rohrbaugh R9. Like a grenade going off in your hand but totally reliable for 10 years now.
Old July 31, 2017, 01:08 PM   #12
tallball

My Beretta Model 100 is unusual. It has a 6" barrel and adjustable sights. It looks like a 22lr, similar in category to a Ruger Mark or something like that. But it's actually 32acp (and lots of fun to shoot).
Old July 31, 2017, 01:41 PM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
my beloved CZ 100
Had one, back in the day. Gave up on it after about 5 years. Never made it out of "probation", to where I regarded it as reliable.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 31, 2017, 04:58 PM   #14
Skans

Quote:
favorite gun that's kind of odd?
My favorite "odd" gun is my Steyr GB. Fixed barrel 9mm which is very accurate, holds 18+1 rounds, interesting design, chrome barrel, and very few parts to wear out.
Old August 1, 2017, 09:30 AM   #15
CajunBass

deleted
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 1, 2017, 09:41 AM   #16
CalmerThanYou

Although not a handgun in the purest sense, my favorite is the Kriss Vector. Quirky, and just a bunch of fun to shoot. Perfect for a nice red dot sight, mild recoil and high capacity magazine seal the deal for me.