The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 12, 2017, 07:54 AM   #1
hooligan1

RDF from Nosler

Why wouldnt the new RDF bullet be good for deer and coyotes?
Old May 12, 2017, 09:51 AM   #2
AllenJ

Typically match grade bullets are made for punching paper, no thought what so ever is put into how they'll perform on game animals. Their internal ballistics on game could range from penciling through the animal to exploding on contact leaving only a shallow, non lethal wound.
Old May 12, 2017, 02:45 PM   #3
Nosler guy

That is a very accurate statement from Allen.
The meplat is so small on those type of bullets that, unless you hit a large bone they likely will not expand and ice pick similar to a fmj. The other scenario is grenade like fragmentation similar to a varmint bullet. There usually isn't any taper to the jacket which is usually paper thin anyway making terminal performance very unpredictable.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old May 19, 2017, 10:57 PM   #4
troyinidaho

Is this bullet similar to the Hornady Amax? I've heard so many guys around here using that bullet for deer and coyotes
Old May 20, 2017, 01:20 AM   #5
Berserker

Hornady lists a-max for target, I believe.
Old May 20, 2017, 04:51 AM   #6
NHSHOOTER

I have never used the RDF bullets but I do shoot match bullets out of my 7-08 and I have retrieved some spent bullets from a sand bank shot from 200 yds that looked like they just came out of the box less the rifleing marks from going down the barrel. I would never use match bullets for deer or other game animals.
Old June 2, 2017, 09:17 AM   #7
hooligan1

Well I was hoping for someone to do a geltain test at 100 yds and see what kindo of trama or wound channel it provides....
and before everybody freaks out on taking game with target bullets, step back from the ledge, I have too many nice, premium hunting bullets for critters, just wanted real info pertaining to the bullet.
I think it would be fine for coyotes and crows and other predators...
Old June 2, 2017, 06:32 PM   #8
jmr40

I have no idea about this particular bullet. But there are some bullets out there initially designed as target bullets that have earned a good reputation for being quite effective on game.

Winston Churchill
Old June 2, 2017, 10:32 PM   #9
DPI7800

Any bullet will preform with desired effects if the placement is spot on. I.E. I nailed a pronghorn at 400 yards with a 168gr .30 A-max right in the boiler room. And it was DRT.

Regardless, shot placement is king.

If I can't guarantee a hit with in a 6" circle at any given distance I don't take the shot, period!
Old June 2, 2017, 11:16 PM   #10
math teacher

It does not matter what spot you put the bullet on if it blows up on the hide and fails to penetrate or it pencils through without expanding. In either case you have an animal likely to run off and die a lingering death, probably not to be found in time if at all. Target bullets are constructed without any thought about use on game. Because an occasional animal is killed with one does not make their use on game ethical.
Old June 3, 2017, 02:48 PM   #11
Picher

One of the worst thing about using target bullets for varmints is the RICOCHET FACTOR. Varmint bullets tend to be very fragile and literally explode at ground contact, even in heavy grass, snow etc.

That's also why I don't use deer bullets, since they tend to ricochet more than varmint bullets.

I've seen evidence of .22-250 Rem, varmint hollow point bullet blowup on fairly settled snow at about 100 yards, when I shot an empty .22LR box on top of the snow. The bullet hit the box dead center at 95 yards and there was a puff beyond with pieces of jacket/lead scattered there. The exit hole was even a bit larger than the entry. There was no entry hole in the snow, just the metal chips/dust.

Loved the .22-250, but if you don't handload, get a .223.

JP
Old June 3, 2017, 08:17 PM   #12
DPI7800

@ math teacher,

Can you tell me exactly what bullet, weight, caliber, muzzle velocity,distant to target animal and what species that you have seen where a bullet exploded on impact and did not penatrate the hide, and or pencil hole through and not create any hydrostatic shock.

This goes for anyone that has had this same experience.

I would like to know so the next ballistics seminar I attend I will do my best to recreate the results.

Now don't get me wrong I am not an advocate for using target bullets, one should absolutely use a good hunting bullet.

Also understand I am not your average hunter. I've had the fortune of getting hundreds of hours of training provided to me because of my line of work. My choice of the A-Max on certain select animals is not one out of ignorance. It is an informed choice.
Old June 6, 2017, 01:46 PM   #13
Don Fischer

Shot my first bear with a 7mm mag. Used a 140gr Sierra bullet. Head on shot, the bullet penetrated maybe three inch's and was done. The bear was sick but still managed to go about 20yds and lay down. Took another shot in the back of the head to end it. Bullet made a pretty good size crater under the skin. Hunting preditors I'd use a match bullet but, a light one going fast. Sierra say's in their manual that match bullet's are not intended for hunting.
Old June 6, 2017, 10:40 PM   #14
Saltydog235

So, some of y'all are saying a pointed hunk of lead and copper traveling at 2000+ fps won't penetrate or barely penetrates a hide of a deer whose skin is not much thicker than a humans? That it'll explode on contact? Please, oh please someone explain the physics of that scenario to me, especially when compared to other equally thin jackets cup and core hunting bullets.

I've shot plenty of deer with 130grn SMK's out of a 7mm08 and 168grn AMax's in a .308. Put it in the right place on a deer and the deer dies. It's pretty simple. Heavier game requires more robust bullets, deer don't. Shot placement people.
Old June 8, 2017, 01:50 PM   #15
AllenJ

Quote:
So, some of y'all are saying a pointed hunk of lead and copper traveling at 2000+ fps won't penetrate or barely penetrates a hide of a deer whose skin is not much thicker than a humans? That it'll explode on contact? Please, oh please someone explain the physics of that scenario to me, especially when compared to other equally thin jackets cup and core hunting bullets.
When a bullet breaks up in tiny pieces those pieces no longer have the mass to be able to retain enough energy to be able to penetrate far enough into the animal to reach the vital organs.

Or were you being facetious?
Old June 8, 2017, 10:25 PM   #16
Saltydog235

No, I was being serious. Maybe my experiences have been an anomaly for 50+ deer I've used them on but it's been lights out. No different than a 90grn NBT from a .243 exploding inside the deer or similar. Put it in the right place the deer dies, very quickly. Now, I still shoot 90's in a .243 and 168grn Amax in the .308 but my current load in the 7mm08 is a 150grn NBT or AB. Think I may give the Amax a run in the .300wsm this year too.

Now, that said, were I hunting bear or elk I'd opt for a more robust bullet. Hogs, I'll shoot with anything at hand.
Old June 9, 2017, 12:25 PM   #17
AllenJ

Salty I don't doubt that you've had success with them, I've read plenty of posts and articles that back that up. I've also read a few accounts of people who did not have the desired results, hence the reason I choose not to use them. With that said I've seen my share of bullet failures on game including a couple of big name makers and their premium bullets, so bullet perfomance failure is not something that can be eliminated in my opinion.
Old June 9, 2017, 10:52 PM   #18
Saltydog235

I've seen far more bullet failure issues with bullets like the Corloct and Silvertip than any match type bullet used on game. Again, shot placement is key no matter what you use. However poorly constructed bullets give me much more trepidation than anything that is designed to fly straight and true. I think 99% of the "it's the bullets fault/failure" crowd's excuse is just that and not the shooter taking responsibility for making a bad shot. If you want to be a better shot and by virtue hunter, admitting a persons own failures and shortcomings is the first step to correcting them.
Old June 10, 2017, 12:57 AM   #19
Powermwt

I think all the original poster's questions can be answered by calling the manufacturer:

115 SW Columbia St | Bend, Oregon, USA 97702 | Toll Free: 1-800-285-3701
Old June 10, 2017, 06:04 PM   #20
DPI7800

@ Salty

I agree shot placement is king! Too many hunters blame the bullet for their failures, regardless of if it was taking a shot that is too far for their ability, a shot made in haste and not seeing a branch that could be in the path, or simply a poor angle of the animal

Notice nobody has answered my questions:

Quote:
what bullet, weight, caliber, muzzle velocity,distant to target animal and what species that you have seen where a bullet exploded on impact and did not penatrate the hide, and or pencil hole through and not create any hydrostatic shock.
I'll also add what was the angle of the game, broadside, slight quarter away toward, Texas heart shot etc. and angle of the shoot up and down.
Old June 11, 2017, 09:33 PM   #21
Saltydog235

The only bullet failure I have ever experienced was with a 168grn NBT on a small buck at 120yds. The bullet entered between two ribs and exited between two ribs, never expanding. I lost the trail in a swamp at night. Being 90 degrees out, recovery the next day was just going to be for peace of mind. I found the deer 400yds from the stand laid out on some cypress knees. I had to look for the entrance and exit, both perfect .308" holes. It was an anomaly as I've used the NBT in various caliber and weight with tremendous results.

I've seen 4 CorLoct "failures" in the last 3 years. All resulted in dead animals just not recovered for a harvest. All three had shed the jacket in the hide and fragmented lead beyond. They killed the animal, just not quickly, so, technically they still didn't fail.
Old June 11, 2017, 10:18 PM   #22
Powermwt

I have had failures over the years, mostly due to jackets separating.

One I remember vividly was in 1965 with Remington 150gr bronze point ammunition (2900fps) at about 75 yards into a quartering front shoulder shot into a 200+/- feral hog (boar) in Monterey County, California. The bullet shattered against the hide, leaving a mark and made him flinch but he continued thru the brush running into two hunters on the same fire trail around the ridge. They killed him and we found the bullet had hit... just not penetrated. I stopped using that particular ammo that day and started using CorLokt.

I must admit I'm a little biased for Nosler as I built a manufacturing facility for them in Bend back in the early 1980s. I think I still have some 150 gr protected point partition bullets.
Old June 12, 2017, 04:02 PM   #23
AllenJ

I've been lucky, I did not lose any of the 3 animals that I shot and deemed the bullet failed. For the purpose of this discussion though my definition of bullet failure is "the bullet did not act as the manufacture stated or in a way one would consider a normal bullet to react". Two of the three animals fell in place, the other required tracking and a followup shot. That one the bullet did the impossible, it enter the shoulder, struck and broke a bone, turned 90 degrees and exited the bottom of the same shoulder. There was no damage beyond the broken bone so the bullet did not break apart, it just somehow made a very sharp turn and exited. One of the others was not something I'd say is impossible, just so highly improbable one may think it could be, I've seen a Nosler Partition explode. The entry wound was the size of a softball (that is not an exaggeration, it was that big) and no exit wound. It is the only deer I've killed that lay there looking dead but when I touched my gun barrel to his eye he blinked.
Old June 9, 2018, 01:12 PM   #24
Roadkill2228

Resurrect the thread!

Hey I know this is a long dead thread (that has a nice ring to it doesn’t it?) but I’m wondering if any of you people have tested the rdf bullets since, accuracy, easy to find an accurate load or not, realistic bc or not, but most of all terminal performance. Had anyone acquired any field data regarding terminal performance. They seem pretty affordable compared to some of their competitors (bergers,Sierras, scenars, eld m).
Old June 15, 2018, 10:33 PM   #25
std7mag

I haven't shot any of the RDF yet. When they become more readily available in my area that will change.

As for "target" bullets use on game, all the manufacturers will say no.
But....
The Berger VLD Hunting line is the original bullet Walt Berger designed so many years ago as a target bullet.
Berger Bullets now claims that you get 3-5 inches of penetration then the bullet fragmentates. Causing a massive internal wound cavity.

Overseas loves the AMAX.
Haven't heard of many people using the MatchKing on deer sized game. Supposed to be good on varmints.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...