The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 11, 2017, 12:55 PM   #1726
reteach

Knowing that you'll all lose sleep if I don't tell you - I just ordered a holster from Lobo Gun Leather. I didn't think they would be able to accommodate that odd-shaped gun, but they can. I have bought from them before, and I highly recommend them. I appreciate your advice and I'm keeping note of those companies for future projects.
Old December 11, 2017, 01:05 PM   #1727
Real Gun

Great, but which holster did you get from Lobo?
Old December 11, 2017, 02:53 PM   #1728
reteach

It's called the Combat Classic. I'm not going into combat, but the holster fits my other criteria. I had them add the thumb break retainer and reinforce the mouth, plus they're increasing the cant to about 20 degrees. I'll wear it at about 4:00. I think it's going to be a good match.
Old December 12, 2017, 12:49 AM   #1729
Sudo

A new Ruger 327 Federal.

Anyone got one of these yet?

It's from the Lipsey's site.

Not sure what I'd use it for, but I want one.

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?i...RUKSSMBH-3-327

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BirdsHead32.jpg (18.2 KB, 401 views)
Old December 12, 2017, 01:05 AM   #1730
TruthTellers

Can't say I own a Ruger birds head .327, but I do own a Heritage .32 H&R Magnum that's also a birds head grip and same barrel length.

The size is fantastic for the caliber; I think a 3 inch .327 is the perfect size (even though I'm leaning towards the 4 inch SP101.)

Don't know what the weight is for the Ruger, probably heavier than the Heritage, but my Heritage is super light. I can barely feel it when I wear it. The birds head grip is very comfortable with light recoiling rounds. Fast to point with too.

The only thing I don't like about it, and this is big, is the fixed sights are off by a lot. I have to do a 4:30 hold to hit the center bullseye. Also, the sights are really hard to see because the rear notch is so tiny. That's specific to my gun, but it doesn't instill me with confidence in fixed revolver sights on anything other than a snub.

7 shots in that small size is nice though. It doesn't make up for the slow reload and I'd rather have the new 3 inch SP101 over this.
Old December 12, 2017, 08:32 AM   #1731
Real Gun

Quote:
For one thing, the Single series frame size and the bird head grip, no adjustable sights, make it suitable for concealed carry of a single action.
Old December 12, 2017, 01:35 PM   #1732
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun View Post
For one thing, the Single series frame size and the bird head grip, no adjustable sights, make it suitable for concealed carry of a single action.
That would be better served with the 3 inch SP101.
Old December 12, 2017, 02:17 PM   #1733
Armybrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
Anyone got one of these yet?

It's from the Lipsey's site.

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?i...RUKSSMBH-3-327
That's the gun reteach just bought and is talking about on the previous page - and the holster on this page.
Old December 12, 2017, 02:19 PM   #1734
Armybrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Get both.
Old December 12, 2017, 02:43 PM   #1735
Real Gun

Quote:
That would normally be my choice too, but I was just trying to respect those who would prefer to carry a single action, at least some of the time. As far as comparative size and weight, a 3 3/4" Single Seven is not going to be a deal breaker, especially with a bird head grip. The Single Seven has one more round than my SP101, so in that regard it has an advantage. As a Cowboy Action shooter, I am adequately skilled at running a single action hammer, and I rarely shoot an SP101 double action but would expect to be doing so in a stressful situation. The choice of DA or SA is not so clear cut as you may be implying.
Old December 12, 2017, 02:59 PM   #1736
TruthTellers

I'm not saying I'm anti SA, I have equal amounts of SA revolvers to DA ones, but I just can't say that they're better for concealed carry.

Yeah, the 7 rounds is great, but reloads are far too slow and requiring that the hammer be cocked manually, while under stress, can lead to failure to shoot the target in time... if at all.

The ability of the DA revolver to draw the gun and pull the trigger has long supplanted the SA revolver as the superior defensive revolver. People 100+ years ago knew this and armed themselves accordingly.
Old December 12, 2017, 03:38 PM   #1737
Real Gun

Still resisting the real point that some may choose to carry this gun concealed, regardless of any prevailing wisdom about the best gun. It seems that most people are compromised in how well or appropriately armed they are in any event.
Old December 12, 2017, 05:28 PM   #1738
Sudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
I'm not saying I'm anti SA, I have equal amounts of SA revolvers to DA ones, but I just can't say that they're better for concealed carry.

Yeah, the 7 rounds is great, but reloads are far too slow and requiring that the hammer be cocked manually, while under stress, can lead to failure to shoot the target in time... if at all.

The ability of the DA revolver to draw the gun and pull the trigger has long supplanted the SA revolver as the superior defensive revolver. People 100+ years ago knew this and armed themselves accordingly.
If I were to buy this bird's head, it wouldn't be for concealed carry. Just a fun gun for the range or for hiking.

As for SA revolvers being long supplanted by DA revolvers, well most any professional who carries a gun for work would say all revolvers were long ago supplanted by semi-autos.

I say that as a revolver person who only carries revolvers (double action).
Old December 12, 2017, 06:27 PM   #1739
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
If I were to buy this bird's head, it wouldn't be for concealed carry. Just a fun gun for the range or for hiking.

As for SA revolvers being long supplanted by DA revolvers, well most any professional who carries a gun for work would say all revolvers were long ago supplanted by semi-autos.

I say that as a revolver person who only carries revolvers (double action).
Oh, the birds heads are terrific for hiking and woods walking. Fun at the range too. I was just responding to the other guys comment about them being good choices for concealed carry and for a SA, he's probably right.

All revolvers have been supplanted by autoloaders, but before auto's supplanted revolvers, DA's supplanted SA's. And before that, SA's supplanted Pepperbox revolvers.

It goes on and on, but the point is that while even a Pepperbox is better than a sharp stick, it's not better than what's available today.
Old December 13, 2017, 12:29 PM   #1740
Real Gun

Quote:
I was just responding to the other guys comment about them being good choices for concealed carry
Note that I never wrote that.
Old December 15, 2017, 02:28 PM   #1741
WyMark

Picked up my 3" .327 SP101 yesterday, hope to get out today and put a dozen through it. Wind is 30-40 mph right now, so it wont be a very long range trip. Just a few to get a feel for it before it enters carry rotation. Picked up a really nice Michael Kole holster for it.

Sweet little gun, it has an sp101 trigger but hopefully it will smooth out soon. Will post pics if I can get Google Photo links figured out.
Old December 15, 2017, 03:26 PM   #1742
FrankenMauser

I'm going to stop carrying the .327 LCR - at least for now.
I gave it a lot of thought a few days ago, and I simply do not want to cause excessive hearing damage if I have to fire it in a confined space. One round would probably be damaging. Multiple would certainly have a permanent impact.

No handgun is going to be a good option for preventing hearing damage, but I'll feel better getting away from something that's just a hair 'better' than firing a short-barreled rifle indoors.

If it turns out to be a permanent change, perhaps the LCR will go away. Breaking up the 'set' is not ideal. But if it doesn't get used, it needs to move out.
(There are still the SP101, GP100, and Blackhawk here.)
Old December 15, 2017, 05:38 PM   #1743
Real Gun

You could use milder loads or 32 H&R to mitigate hearing concerns. I found out the hard way that 32 H&R is not too bad indoors and without hearing protection, although I don't care to do it again.
Old December 15, 2017, 09:56 PM   #1744
FrankenMauser

A definite possibility.
But, for now, the LCP (.380) is back as the primary and I'm continuing an ongoing search for a mid-size 9mm or .45 Auto to add to the rotation.
Old December 16, 2017, 02:24 AM   #1745
FrankenMauser

Another major purchase just infringed upon the .327 world in my handgun safe.

The 5.5" Blackhawk, 4.2" GP100, and LCR will all be going up for sale. If anyone here is interested in a "set" purchase, send me a PM.
I will be asking every bit of fair market value, but not stupid money.
The Blackhawk is, essentially, like new. The GP had scratches when I bought it (display model), and the LCR has been carried for a few years (there may be hidden belly button lint). But all are in outstanding condition and perfectly functional. Details can be discussed in PMs/emails/classifieds.

Once all are sold, I'll be down to the 4.2" SP101 (clearly my new favorite).
Old December 16, 2017, 09:46 AM   #1746
VTRich

Looks like another new Ruger 327 offering

Blue GP100 , half lug, 7 shot, 5", 327 Federal

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUGP32751

Last edited by VTRich; December 16, 2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old December 16, 2017, 10:45 AM   #1747
Real Gun

Separate thread would be better, if it is not 327.
Old December 16, 2017, 02:43 PM   #1748
FrankenMauser

VTRich, I like it.
...Not going to buy one, but I like it.
Old December 16, 2017, 04:52 PM   #1749
Glenn E. Meyer

I like it also. But until the lottery comes in, I'm sticking with my SW 632.
Old December 16, 2017, 05:05 PM   #1750
TruthTellers

GP100 5 inch in .327? There's a reason Ruger stopped making Blackhawks and GP's in the .327 and it's because the guns are too big for the caliber, even though they held 1 or 2 more rounds than .357 did.

Now... now we have a 7 shot GP100 and it's available in various barrel lengths. I just don't see any reason to go with a .327 in the GP100 over a .357 with the same capacity.

The SP101 and Single Seven are the largest size the .327 needs to be offered in, unless Ruger wants to get crazy and put the .327 in the Redhawk and make it 9 or 10 shots.

Tho that GP100 is a nice looking gun, I'll give it that.