The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 24, 2002, 02:18 PM   #1
Dave3006

Help - my 20 guage kicks more than my 12 guage!!!!!

I am amazed.

I have a Benelli M1S90 field in 12 guage. I shoot the inexpensive dove loads all the time. Needless to say, felt recoil is almost non-existent. The gun weighs about 7 lbs.

I just bought a Benelli Montefeltro in 20 guage for my young son. My thought was that the 20 guage would have much less felt recoil. I sure was wrong. The gun weighs 5.5 lbs and kicks like a mule with dove loads.

From the start, I planned to have the stock shortened to 13" LOP. I also planned to have a Pachmeyer Decelerator pad installed. Will this help? The very thin pad that is on it now leaves alot to be desired.

I know it is never bad to have an extra shotgun. But, I feel kind of stupid for not considering the weight issue relative to recoil. Can this gun be tamed for a 10 year old?
Old May 24, 2002, 03:21 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

20s are often harsher than 12s.
Weight
Fit

Pad thickness and extra width would help.

With a bit of time, effort and expense it can be made to feel right for him.

Sam
Old May 24, 2002, 04:11 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Dave, the Decellerator is a very good choice. I've one on Daughter's 45 caliber M/L, which had a nasty kick pre pad.

Also, drop the velocity and payload on those shells. Son uses a 3/4 oz load in his little NEF, call it 1100 FPS. That thing weighs 5 lbs, 9 oz, which is what his birth weight was. He gets a charge out of that.

A 20 gauge equivalent chipmunk load of 5/8 oz at 1000-1100 FPS would make a great starter load.

HTH....