The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2001, 02:11 PM   #1
jmlv

What can you tell me about the Mossberg 835 Ultimag shotgun?

I obtained one of these recently and have never heard of it till it was handed to me. Does anyone shoot one of these regularly?
How does it compare to the 500 or Rem 870? What do you think of yours. Any info is appricated. also what is a blegin browning a5 in 90% condition worth? My uncle has one he wants to sell me but has no idea on a price. thanks
MOLON LABE!
Old September 7, 2001, 02:18 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Like the 500, the 835 rattles when shaken. The ports may offend anyone shooting trap next to you, it did me.

It seems to be a decent shotgun. I prefer the 870 myself, but the 835 has folks whose opiions I respect liking it very much.

As for the A-5, ask down on Harley Nolden's forum. Those guys really are good at appraisals...
Old September 7, 2001, 03:10 PM   #3
ENC

its a good gun I like the 3.5's for duck regardless of what others tell me. It is heavier than the 870 and I think that makes it swing a little better. Especially if you are unexperienced at pass shooting.

I don't the fact that you can't shoot slugs in it due to the over bored barrel

It is a blast to shoot at night with the ported barrel
Old September 9, 2001, 10:49 AM   #4
Redlg155

The older versions of the 835's were not ported. I had one of the first ones that came out that were not ported and had a button that you had to disengage prior to operating the safety. Needless to say it was a real pain in the butt. The newer versions have since eliminated this feature.

I liked it ok, but for some reason the thing rated pretty high in the recoil department, even with standard skeet loads. Unless you can deal with recoil well, I don't think you will be using many 3 1/2 inch loads. I've been told that they even make a buckshot load for the 3 1/2 inch...OWWWWWWW!

The beauty of it is that you can always use 2 3/4, 3 or 3 1/2 inch shells in the weapon. That makes it a bit more versatile.

Good Shooting
RED