The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 4, 2014, 01:36 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Hunting polar bear with a .22 Hornet is just crazy!

knew a fellow from up there, (he says he's an Inuit) and he said hunting polar bear with a .22 Hornet was just crazy. The Hornet is a seal and caribou cartridge! For polar bear they get out the heavy stuff, a .243!

The .22 Hornet was the original varmint cartridge, and will do a quite competent job on coyotes to this day. A couple hundred yards is the easily usable range, beyond that, it still has enough juice, but its tougher to make precise shots.

Is it the best all around cartridge you can use today? Not really. But then the .30-30 isn't the "best" cartridge you can use for deer, either. Not being the "best" doesn't mean won't work, far from it.
Old February 5, 2014, 08:12 PM   #27
L_Killkenny

Had a longer post explaining why and how the .22H is good to go out to 200 yards. Decided with some folk I was just pissin into the wind so I condensed it.........

Answer: Hell yes.
Old February 7, 2014, 02:28 PM   #28
salvadore

I'm surprised some of the experts in here didn't suggest a crew served weapon if you didn't want to be undergunned.

The .22 Hornet is a fine coyote gun and it gets better the more you shoot it.