The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Fox84

12 Ga Coach Gun

I considering buying one. Any recommendations? Looking to spend 3-5 hundred. I 've seen Century. Stoegar, CZ and Cimaron so far. I 'am looking at external hammers. Are there any drawbacks? Just looking for a plinker and home defense shooter.
Old December 8, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A plinker and an HD gun really are 2 different beasts....

You need to do your part to both get real acquainted with your weapon and what it will do as well as verify reliability...

A GOOD double barrel has and will defend homes well...

I have no experience with modern imported guns but hear that accuracy (barrel regulation) and reliability can be hit or miss (pun fully intended)...

I bought my 1953 Stevens 20 gauge in very serviceable condition with coach length cut down (great job was done) barrels and junk 1st gen plastic stocks for $100.00... Adding $175 for NEW walnut stocks, some stain and polyurethane and I still come in under the lowest priced multi-barrel import on the market...

Might look for a deal like that on a pre-1980's American made gun that would serve you better...

While the "Rabbit Ear" hammers look really cool, I wouldn't trust them with my life... On lesser guns, they are not immune from being easily bent or broken off... The pin they are screwed to is also an exposed point of vulnerability... Then you add in risk of snagging on the drapes or lampshade, and I prefer the internal hammers and my double trigger set...

Brent
Old December 8, 2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Fox84

Thanks for your suggestions.I already have a Saiga 12, Mossberg Cruiser, Browning BPS with a 20'' cut barrel and a CZ ou. The movie Open Range has me thinking of a coach gun. As a kid I always hunted with a side by side. I also really like the rabbit ears and wonder about reliability.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:51 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Lemme add... The difference in a plinker and a defensive firearm is that a plinker can hang up or fail to fire and it is just a break from the plinking... a broken plinker can sit in the closet for infinity and only your plinking time suffers...

The SD/HD weapon doesn't have such luxuries... It must come to service and serve when called upon with out fail each and every time...

The amount of rounds some send down range to prove reliability is close to or exceeding the lifespan in round count of some of the "lesser" arms coming into the market today...

Brent
Old December 8, 2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Grant D

I have a Century Coach Gun that I keep next to my easy chair in the living room.
I like it, it's got that cowboy look your wanting, and will sure get the job done.
Years ago, a shotgun behind the easy chair save my life,so I know it works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coach gun 1.JPG (229.3 KB, 49 views)
Old December 8, 2012, 12:03 PM   #6
jmortimer

I believe the Cimarron SXS are O.K. and used by SASS competitors. I like the external hammers.

Last edited by jmortimer; December 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Fox84

The Century for $ seems hard to beat so far. A USSG import seems a close second. Cimarron, CZ and Stoegar are higher $ choices.