The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2011, 08:08 PM   #1

holographic sight for shotgun

What would some of you recommend for a holographic sight to be used on my Remington model 1100 shotgun?

Drill and tap or rail?

How much better is this type of sight--for all kinds of shotgun shooting--than standard iron sights?

Thanks,

Old July 29, 2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've little experience with these, but nothing beats a bead for speed.

I'm not sure a Holo sight is better at anything shotguns can do.

What is the mission?
Old July 30, 2011, 01:29 AM   #3
eastbank

1 have a eotec 512(takes two aa bats) on my 11-87 rem turkey gun and it is all i use for still hunting,my run and gun is a win 1300 turkey gun with a 2.5 leupold scope. the nice thing about the eotec is after you have sighted it in(for me 35 yards), there is no parilex and if you have the dot on the turkeys neck or head thats where the center of your pattern will be. plus the outer circle is 65 moa at 100 yds and 32.5 moa at 50 yds and about 20moa at 35 yds, i use that like a range finder,if the turkey fills the circle he is well with in range. my only complain is the it weighs 11-12 ozs. i may try a burris or simmler smaller dot sight,they are about 3-4 ozs. but for still hunting its no biggee. don,t go on the cheap as the recoil of a heavy loaded mag will take them apart. eastbank.
Old July 30, 2011, 08:51 AM   #4
SauerJackson

Halo's are the undisputed kings of the reflex sights, and for good reason. There is nothing better for fast shots! But my EOtech 552 is too bulky for shotgun work IMO. But there is a whole new generation of smaller and lighter halo sights out there from EOtech, burris, bushnell, and others.
As far as mounts, I would use a rail myself. It'll allow more flexibility where you put put that thingy.....
Old July 30, 2011, 10:47 AM   #5
zippy13

Dave's question is right on point, what's your mission? SauerJackson also has a good point about the halo style of sights. As far as mounting is concerned, unless you want to dedicate your gun to the holo sight you might want to consider a cantilever (or saddle) mount so you can leave your receiver unaltered.
Old July 30, 2011, 11:44 AM   #6
tAKticool

my 930 SPX came with a rail, that was installed since it was drilled and tapped, and on that rail came the rear ghost ring aperature. I installed an aimpoint r-1 i had bought for something else just to try it and its impossible to remove its so awesome.

I mean AWESOME.

Maybe not exactly an EOTech/holographic by strict definition but I would surmise a small EoTech would be even faster with that big reticle. I just am an Aimpoint guy.
Old July 30, 2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Pahoo

There is a time and place for everything

Depending on the service, a sight like this could be useful. If it's just standard hunting, then go with the bead sight. I would not recommend drilling and tapping the reciever. On my first 1100, smooth bore, slug gun, I used a saddle mount as zippy13, has mentioned and RedDot. Later had a cantalever barrel and RedDot. All worked well but it's use was dedicated to slug hunting. When I used it for birds, I went back to the bead sight. I really do not see any optics, being an advantage for bird hunting. The best shooting aid for me, is my mind, when it works. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 30, 2011, 02:47 PM   #8
zippy13

The best shooting aid for me, is my mind, when it works.
Ain't that the truth!
Old July 30, 2011, 04:08 PM   #9
eastbank

i have shot several turkeys that i was so twisted up because of the way they came in very fast, that i could not look down the barrel at all,but with the eotec i was able to put the retical on their neck/head even tho the retical was the whole way up in the viewing glass. one pull and roast turkey. eastbank.
Old July 30, 2011, 05:19 PM   #10
ejhc11

Have you looked at these? Burris FastFire made for shotguns.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/speedbead.html
Old July 30, 2011, 05:23 PM   #11

holographic sight for shotgun

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I was sure the holographic sight would be superior for deer/turkey etc. but not so sure about birds in flight.

Self-defense? Should be superior for this, esp. during night or poor light.

Like to keep the weight down but must also be durable.

Old July 30, 2011, 05:47 PM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
but not so sure about birds in flight.
Correct - it would be worthless for birds in flight

Shotguns are pointed in most applications, therefore your eyes and hands work to point the gun in the appropriate direction
Old July 30, 2011, 08:55 PM   #13
arizona98tj

I run the EOTech XPS2-0 on my FNH SLP Mark1. Love it. Haven't had so much fun with a shotgun since I mounted it. The XPS2 is attached to the cantilever barrel. Haven't used it for hunting (probably won't) but have put a lot of rounds down range during the last 4 day training course. Got another one coming up later this year.

I also have a Burris FastFire II but haven't tried it yet. Will do so prior to the next course. Got to admit that the 65 MOA circle in the EOTech makes it easy to get on target. The 1 MOA dot is perfect for slug shots assuming you have time to aim, else, put the target in the middle of the circle. Works either way.