The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 20, 2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Tex S

Midway USA Competition Range Bag

All I can say is wow!!! Mine just got here today ( Wednesday, and I ordered Monday) and the thing is beautiful. Great big, sturdy bag with plenty o pockets. They are on sale at Midway right now for $40. I can't wait to start fillin' er' up.

Hands down the best $40 I have spent on a shooting related item in a long time, possibly ever. Go get two of them... you won't regret it!!!
Old January 20, 2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Region Rat

Agree 100%. I got mine last year after reading about them on this forum. Very nice, very sturdy, and plenty of compartments.

Only problem is- you can fill it up with so many guns and so much ammo that you can hardy carry it. I loaded it up on my first range trip- because I could- and kind of went overboard.
Old January 21, 2010, 07:11 AM   #3
3-XD

I agree - this is a great deal on a great range bag! And yes, you can definitely overfill this bag. Before I had one of these bags, I would have to carry a pistol case and an extra bag for just the ammo. Now I can carry everything I need in one bag. If I could find a way to stuff an AR-15 in the bag, it would be absolutely perfect (ha ha)
Old January 21, 2010, 08:49 AM   #4
gdvan01

Werd.

Have had mine for a few years now. Most excellent range bag.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old January 23, 2010, 10:50 PM   #5
PSU87

Great bag

It would be a good deal at the regular $59 price. At the $39 sale price I feel like I should be looking over my shoulder for the cops!
Old January 26, 2010, 08:39 PM   #6
45Gunner

Love mine. Thought it good enough to buy a second one to give to a friend for a birthday present.
NRA Life Member
Old January 26, 2010, 09:37 PM   #7
ProjectCamaro

Agreed, when I was looking at buying a range bag everyone kept telling me to look at this one and boy am I glad I listened because it is a great bag for the money.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Dodge DeBoulet

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago (this one) about what a great deal this bag is. Since then, though, I've come across a couple of minor shortcomings.

Besides the edging on the included gun bags (you need to melt the cut ends a bit to keep it from fraying), the edging on the end of the top flap exhibited the same problem. Because of the zipper, though, it wasn't quite as simple to fix. I had to dig out a needle and thread and bind the ends of the edging around the zipper.

Also, because there's no "hard stop" at the end of the zipper, someone giving the loop a good yank could pull the zipper slide right off. The binding helps somewhat with that, but I want to find some good metal bolsters to clamp over the end of the zipper (or glue something on . . .maybe some .22 shells with a slot cut down the side
Old January 26, 2010, 10:50 PM   #9
jfrey

I've had mine over a year now and it is great. It holds too much. When I load it with all my stuff for the range, I have trouble picking it up. So far it is holding up great. I liked mine so much I bought my father-in-law one too. Got my son the smaller one because I carry all the junk in mine.
Old January 26, 2010, 11:22 PM   #10
espnazi

I got mine a few weeks ago the weird thing is that mine didn't come with the gun rug.
Old January 27, 2010, 07:08 AM   #11
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by espnazi
I got mine a few weeks ago the weird thing is that mine didn't come with the gun rug.
Are you sure? They're stored in vertical pockets inside the main compartment of the bag, on each side of the ammo carrier. There should be 2 of them. They're easy to miss . . .

If you definitely didn't get them, call Midway and let them know. They're in the product description, so they owe them to you.
Old January 28, 2010, 09:55 PM   #12
maddevildog

I agree, I got mine last year and I love it. Lots of room and very well made, my buddy thought i paid about $80-100 last week.

DJ
Old January 28, 2010, 11:07 PM   #13
BigDinOC

I personally never had any luck with Midways customer service. Same bag about a year ago with a missing part. Great bag otherwise. I have both sizes and use the smaller one more.

D
Old January 29, 2010, 04:28 PM   #14
Croz

Weird question, but are the gun rugs the padded, zippered removable pouches on each side? They're definitely meant for holding guns, but I always thought gun rugs could be opened up and laid out flat for use on the bench at the range, etc.
Old January 29, 2010, 09:02 PM   #15
Dodge DeBoulet

Yep, that would be them.

Think of them as "gun folios." Or "gun purses" if you want to get in touch with your feminine side