The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 29, 2006, 12:40 AM   #1
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
Browning Hi-Power Mag - How to Disassemble?

Any way to disassemble the 10-round 9mm mags for a Hi-Power? Looks similar to how the AR-15 mags are put together, but without the release catch being visible.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old January 29, 2006, 12:32 PM   #2
jclaude

High Power Mags

All of the 9mm HP mags I have are the older 13 round variations and they have the release button centered in the bottom plate of the mag. The ones I have for 40 S&W have the Pachmeyer bumper pads on them and I can't tell for sure, but they have a depression right in the middle of the pad which I think is for depressing the release button. Can't be sure as I haven't tried it yet. Let me know if you should decide to give it a try.
Old January 29, 2006, 03:17 PM   #3
The British Soldier

Press the button in the centre of the baseplate and then slide the baseplate forward off its rails; this allows the spring to 'boing' out and you can withdraw it along with the magazine platform.

The other kind has a sprung clip at the rear, which you lever up and then slide forward and the spring comes out.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old January 29, 2006, 06:17 PM   #4
HiPowering Along

Location: PA - Land of taxes, potholes and unfortunately Ed "Gun Grabbin' Fast Eddie" Rendell
They're the kind that have the "helper" eject spring - only have a hole in the bottom of the base. Have to find something that will fit in it to see if there's a "clip" inside it that I can't see...

They have to come apart somehow - hopefully without the assistance of a vice and a 15 pound sledgehammer....
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." - One of the greatest sentences ever written into an instrument of democracy.
Old January 29, 2006, 07:16 PM   #5
HiPowering Along

You just need to do what Theresa Heinz Kerry said...

"Shove it....:

A ten-penny nail in the bottom shoved up to kick the spring out of the way will allow the bottom to slide off...kinda like ejecting a stuck CD in a computer, but not quite as deep...

<puts away the 15 pound sledge>
Old January 30, 2006, 03:11 PM   #6
mister2

HP 10-rd mags disassembly

First off, the eject helper springs, also called "mousetrap springs" are held on by a separate phillips-head screw that does not need to be undone to disassemble the mag.

Find a long, thin screwdriver or tool to depress the button at the bottom of the hole and the rest is similar to the 13-rd prodcedure.

HTH
MR2