The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 28, 2018, 03:22 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Here he goes.....

Trump is on TV right now, bragging how "he's a different president, he'll get it done," and nodding his head when Dianne Feinstein talks about her next semi auto ban. He was nodding his head when Manchin was talking about "universal background checks" and "no fly lists."

Looks like he's hostile to 4th Amendment too: "take the accused's guns first and then get a warrant." Trump actually said that, with strong emotion he said that.

When Scalise brought up national reciprocity, Trump shot that down. "If you add that to this bill it will kill this bill."

My initial fears of him were apparently correct.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; February 28, 2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old February 28, 2018, 04:25 PM   #2
RETG

I just lost over a billion brain cells watching this cluster over the past hour. It appears the president does not know as much as he thinks he knows and sure appears to be kissing the butts of everyone at the table.

He kept stressing you have to be over 21 to get a handgun; WRONG. Someone should have leaned over and told him in some states, 18 year olds can get a permit to carry a handgun concealed.

He wanted Feinstein to add her AWB bill to the background check type bill thinking bigger is better not realizing that if he wants a background bill passed, it could never include an AWB; no more than getting a background bill passed it cannot contain a nationwide concealed carry bill (which he appeared to understood.)

The liberals were liberals wanting gun control, the conservatives were the conservatives; slithering around the issues like usual.

And at the end Trump actually appeared to think that the AR could only be obtained via the black market and Feinstein had to inform him they are for sale over the counter in gun stores.

I voted for Trump, or I should say I voted against Hillary. I think he means well in some cases, the problem is he is too arrogant to ask for help in understanding the laws and the way the congress works. Glad to say I don't believe there is anyway an AWB will pass in this congress, and I also don't believe a nationwide concealed carry bill with pass in this congress. But I'm not sure if he understands it....and that gives me a headache.
Old February 28, 2018, 04:25 PM   #3
5whiskey

Quote:
I always said he was a gamble...
Old February 28, 2018, 04:35 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Every politician is a gamble.....I learned the hard way with Bush to never believe things said in speeches.

In the beginning I was a "never Trumper" because his past statements and votes were Left. Then I gave him a chance as the alternative was not worth mention. Now he's completely off the rails and it's clear my initial impression of his was correct. Dang, I hate being right all the time.

I am literally feeling sick right now...sick to my stomach.
Old February 28, 2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Psychedelic Bang

Horrifying!! Horrifying!!! Horrifying!!!!

"Take the guns, then due process."

All but said, "go negotiate the weapons ban."
Old February 28, 2018, 04:43 PM   #6
Lohman446

Quote:
I always said he was a gamble
A gamble implies an alternative choice with less risk.

I have a feeling we are going off the rails and towards politics here. Solely on gun rights you had some concern with Trump vs a known bad quantity with the alternative.
Old February 28, 2018, 05:17 PM   #7
jmhyer

He seems to have forgotten already about his 4th Amendmemt rights as it related to the Obama Justice Department spying on him and his campaign. Someone needs to point out that fallacy to him.
Old February 28, 2018, 05:49 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

general comments allowed, but keep it on guns & gun rights, or we're done here. Other political issues have other places on the net for their discussion.
Old February 28, 2018, 07:02 PM   #9
zukiphile

Quote:
Quote:
I always said he was a gamble...
Quote:
A gamble implies an alternative choice with less risk.
Indeed.

The risk was always that charisma in search of a way to apply that charisma could turn as soon as the winds changed. I've tried to learn the new landscape since the summer of 2016. One thing I've learned is that what the exec says may not be precisely calculated to reflect a considered and coherent position.

The best way to guide the direction an opportunist makes is to provide a carrot for his compliance and a stick for his disobedience. It's an error to mute criticism of bad 2d Am. positions because of the current party ID of the office holder.
Old February 28, 2018, 08:21 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Fire up your browsers. If you're here, it's already active. Go to: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

Write to the President. Tell him "No" to an AWB. Tell him that punishing millions of law-abiding citizens is NOT the way to solve a problem that has no simplistic solution. Tell him he was elected to give us national carry reciprocity, and that if he wants movement on things like background checks he'll have to give us something in return -- like national reciprocity.
Old February 28, 2018, 09:32 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Right on Aguila. I emailed the White House and I called and emailed each rep and senator from my state.

I'll join the Gun Owners of America this week and probably send a donation NRA's way. I was sooooo looking forward to a break from having to fight this battle every day but nope.
Old February 28, 2018, 09:45 PM   #12
2damnold4this

Not only "no" to AWB but "no" to taking guns from citizens without due process.
Old March 1, 2018, 12:33 AM   #13
Cnon

What I said to the President.

I want you to say "no" to AWB and "no" to taking guns from citizens without due process.
Old March 1, 2018, 05:38 AM   #14
JERRYS.

everyone still seemed to love GWB when he said he would sign any bill restricting the second amendment that made it to his desk.
Old March 1, 2018, 07:56 AM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

Recent Quotes From The President

“If you're going to put concealed carry between states into this bill [revival of Schumer-Toomey-Manchin bill from 2013], we're talking about a whole new ballgame. And you know I’m with you but let it be a separate bill.” (http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ealed-carry-is)

“Take the guns first, go through due process second.” (http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...process-second)

And summarized - The President told Senators Toomey and Manchin that their background checks bill did not go far enough because they were “afraid of the NRA.”

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...f_the_nra.html
Old March 1, 2018, 07:59 AM   #16
Prndll

People are being played and very few even seem to have a clue. Nowhere is this more obvious than on Twitter in the way people react.

Trump still has my full support and that will likely not change. But who knows what the future has instore?

The thought that all too often gets missed is what would it have been if Trump had lost (if Clinton would have won).

I believe that instead of discussing possible age restrictions, We would be discussing complete removal of any civilian sale (or possession) of any and all AR/AK firearm. Clinton would have restricted AR sales to military/police. Likely putting some AR manufacturers out of bussiness. She WOULD HAVE done this (legal or not). That's IF we could even discuss it at all for what likely would have been a more systematic shutdown of websites like this one (for promoting violence). Much like what Youtube is doing with gun channels.

I have no problem raising the age limit to 21. Although I do recognize the difference between privately run companies making their own decisions vs. what law allows.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:25 AM   #17
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS
everyone still seemed to love GWB when he said he would sign any bill restricting the second amendment that made it to his desk.
That’s a dishonest characterization. W said he would sign a renewal of the 1994 assault weapons ban if it made it to his desk. He did not say “any bill.” Second, he said it at a time when the Republicans controlled the majority. You’ll recall the GOP torpedoed the first vote on the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms act after such a renewal was attached to it (and W wrote a letter to the Senate asking the AWB not be attached).

One thing W didn’t do was sit there and offer suggestions on “take the guns first, due process second.” He didn’t unilaterally suggest raising the age limit or banning things by executive action or tell Senators that their background check bill didn’t go far enough because of the NRA.

If W had wanted a renewal, the Senate would have done that for him in 2004 during the first PLCA vote.

The options here are:
1) Trump actually does want more gun control, in which case we have a big problem.
2) Trump is playing a dangerous game of brinksmanship to sink this gun control effort and get some good press from people who hate him anyway.

We’ll know soon enough which is which. My guess is Trump wants a record vote on a big package of gun control because he thinks that is a loser issue for the Dems and he wants GOP to be able to go into midterms with some progun votes against a heinous bill.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:25 AM   #18
Lohman446

Quote:
I have no problem raising the age limit to 21
I have no problem adjusting the age of majority to 21 and including the right to own firearms in it. Also the right to vote, the right to enter civil or legal contracts, and various other things. I'm against moving it on firearms as a single line item. Either you are an adult citizen or you are not.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:32 AM   #19
thallub

i watched the entire conference and did not hear president Trump utter anything that i'm concerned about.

President Trump told Scalise to sever his concealed carry reciprocity bill from the mental health issue bill and to introduce it as stand alone legislation. i see nothing wrong with that.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:43 AM   #20
RETG

He has no idea what is legal and what is not legal.

He is known to engage his mouth long before his brain is engaged. Thus he speaks gibberish, either by mouth or by thumbs on his twitter account.

He likes to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy during his meetings at his round table, but has been know to act differently.

He has not understood that he does not make the laws, he can help influence bills and then sign them into law.

He also implied that AR-15s are sold on the black market and Feinstein corrected him.

He also implied that Feinstein should add her bill to for the AWB to the background check bill cause he likes "colossal" bills. Doing that would guarantee the background check bill will never make it to his desk.

I voted for him, or do be correct I voted against Hillary. And I agree with many of the things he is doing. However, he worries me when it comes to certain subjects.

I watched that entire round table discussion yesterday and my brain still feels like mush.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:43 AM   #21
adamBomb

Quote:
i watched the entire conference and did not hear president Trump utter anything that i'm concerned about.
We must have been watching two different things. If Obama said this I have a feeling the headlines on foxnews would be much different than they are today.

"I like taking guns away early," Trump said. "Take the guns first, go through due process second." - Trump

"Sometime we have to fight the NRA" - Trump

"But you have to be very, very powerful on background checks," he continued. "Don't be shy. Very strong on mentally ill." - Trump
Old March 1, 2018, 08:49 AM   #22
Rothdel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
I have no problem adjusting the age of majority to 21 and including the right to own firearms in it. Also the right to vote, the right to enter civil or legal contracts, and various other things. I'm against moving it on firearms as a single line item. Either you are an adult citizen or you are not.
I agree completely. I think the scariest thing I have seen in this whole debate is the willingness to treat the 2nd as a standalone and often times lesser right.

Imagine the explosion if the president had suggested that we take away all constitutional rights prior to due process instead of just the 2nd? Pandemonium......
Old March 1, 2018, 08:51 AM   #23
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
The options here are:
1) Trump actually does want more gun control, in which case we have a big problem.
2) Trump is playing a dangerous game of brinksmanship to sink this gun control effort and get some good press from people who hate him anyway.
There is a third possibility: 3) He isn't really concerned about the result of the process, but he wants to be involved in it so the result can't be characterized as a loss for him.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:52 AM   #24
Don P

Aguila Blanca, thanks for the link. I sent him my thoughts and even stated I would love to talk to him in person on the matter at hand. Probably have a better chance at hitting Lotto.

Quote:
Fire up your browsers. If you're here, it's already active. Go to: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/
Quote:
Then throw in 21 to enter the military, or are those 18 year old different?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 1, 2018, 09:05 AM   #25
Lohman446

Quote:
Imagine the explosion if the president had suggested that we take away all constitutional rights prior to due process instead of just the 2nd? Pandemonium......
You mean like the right of free travel of non-citizens? I don't think I actually have to even imagine that.
Closed Thread