The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

curious... what / how do you guys trim cases ???

personally I prefer to use extended shell holders ( on shorter cases ) & a file trim die, when I can find them... even gone as far as having my machinist buddy make me a few when I couldn't find them... I find I get a more precise & repeatable trim length...

I inherited an RCBS case trimmer, but never could develope a liking to it

so

A) do you trim???

1) check every reloading
2) check every couple loadings
3) are you supposed to check your case length ???

B) what do you use to trim ( if you do )

C) are you happy with your trim method, or wish you had another "better" way ???

D) do you mark your trimmed case length & COL on your reciepe ???

I realize some cases stretch more than others... I'd expect my 38 Special cowboy carbine loads to stay the same almost indefinately, while 5 seven cases shot through a blow back gun grow between 1/16 & 1/8" every time they are fired
Old August 10, 2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Scorch

I use a Lyman Universal Trimmer, and am able to get repeatable length control on all my cases. I resize, trim, deburr/chamfer, then I am done for several reloadings since I use Lee Collet Dies (which do not stretch/work/flow the brass). I also have the neck turning attachment for it (which I hardly ever use). It is much faster than the file/trim die method, except possibly when forming oddball/wildcat cases. Maybe not as good of an upper body workout (hacksaw, file, etc), but that is another issue.

I hear people get great results with the Lee Case Trimmers, but since I already own a Lyman trimmer there is no need to switch.
Old August 10, 2011, 05:30 PM   #3
jepp2

I have a pair of Lyman universal trimmers. One is powered one is manual. They have always done an excellent job trimming to within +/- .001". The powered does 99% of the trimming. I also use the outboard end to clean primer pockets.

I mostly use the manual for inside and outside chamfer if I am trimming off much. I use the Lyman inside/outside deburring tool in my trimmer. Does both at once.

When I am recovering brass (usually get once fired) I full size for my chamber head space, trim, chamfer, and deburr the flash hole. Since I don't load to max pressure very often, I can neck size for several loadings before having to bump the shoulder. I only check length when I do the full size.

Quote:
while 5 seven cases shot through a blow back gun grow between 1/16 & 1/8" every time they are fired
0.125" growth on a single firing???? Are you kidding me?
Old August 10, 2011, 05:33 PM   #4
4runnerman

I trim if needed everytime i load.Wilson case trimmer.I have certain lengths i need each case to be. 223's=1.753,,,308= 2.04.
Old August 10, 2011, 05:35 PM   #5
PawPaw

I use the cheap Lee trimmers. I chuck it into my hand drill and get done quickly. Prepping brass is one of those chores that I detest.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 10, 2011, 05:35 PM   #6
gandog56

I use the Lee Lock Stud Cutter. I like not having to set the thing to cut to the correct trim length by using the case length gauge.
Old August 10, 2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
yep... by design, it blows the shoulder almost an 1/8 forward, by the time I resize ( which takes a little muscle ) they stretch around 1/8"... I don't shoot my auto much ( I have a Contender barrel ) & with the fixed breach almost no stretch... I'd bet 3-4 times through the auto would be all you could expect for case life, & even on once fired cases I lose about 10%
Old August 10, 2011, 08:51 PM   #8
big_genius29

I check the length after every firing.

I use a Wilson trimmer, so I just throw the case once it is sized in the case holder and turn the crank.
Old August 10, 2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Jim243

Quote:
It's a 5.7mm shot from a FNH "5-Seven" pistol or a PS90. Hot loads that go through body armor.

Jim
Old August 10, 2011, 11:23 PM   #10
Rustle in the Bushes

I hate case prep as well, im buying an RCBS trim pro 3 way that is supposed to chamfer, debur and trim in one step. I put my drill onto my rcbs trimmer to make it even faster. this seems to me to be the quickest thing going, YMMV
Old August 11, 2011, 01:00 AM   #11
Ideal Tool

Hello, Magnum Wheel Man. I have posted this before. Now I shoot mainly cast, so pressures are alot lower, but I do have a few .22 varmint rifles. The best thing you can do for yourself is either make..as I did, or purchase from Sinclair International, some chamber length gages. What I did was trim a case neck about 3/16". Turned up brass plug the same O.D. as case neck & light interference fit for neck I.D. Leave front edge corners rather sharp. You chamber this & plug contacts chamber end & is pushed back inside case neck. Measure this length..this is actual chamber length of YOUR firearm..not some suggested measurement in some book. Now you can trim .010-.015 under this. I was suprised just how much longer those chambers are than what is suggested trim length..were talking up to .030" longer! I think mfg. build this extra length into their chambering reamers for liability reasons. This gap can have a detrimental effect on cast-bullets as they bridge this upon firing. My trimmers get very little use now days.
Old August 11, 2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Hog Buster

While I’m not a fan of most Lee products, their case trimmers are great. Chuck ‘em in a drill and make quick work of trimming.
Old August 11, 2011, 01:43 AM   #13
Gneiss

I use a Wilson case trimmer with micrometer head. Expensive, but extremely accurate and easy to use. Very happy with it.

I measure a representative sample of cases after each sizing operation and trim all cases in the batch if I have any that approach or exceed max length.

I record COL for each reloading operation. Don't record trim length - if I'm trimming, then I just trim all cases to the recommended length and don't see any value to recording the number.
Old August 11, 2011, 05:47 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the replys guys...

I guess I record the trim length, as I have a couple that I run longer if I can
Old August 11, 2011, 06:33 PM   #15
howlnmad

I eyeball the length, make a rough cut with a hacksaw and then finish up with a hand held 8 inch grinder.
Not really. For small batches I use the Lee cutters but for big batches I go to the RCBS Trimmer with the motor. No hand cranking for me.
Old August 11, 2011, 09:11 PM   #16
TXGunNut

Lee Zip Trim is my favorite trimmer. I have an RCBS hand crank model that I detest, even made to with the Lee tools and a cordless drill for several years before I stepped up to the Zip Trim. Looks siilly, feels silly. Works great. YMMV.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 12, 2011, 12:06 AM   #17
bamaranger

production line

I hate case work. Especially prepping match rifle ammo, where I do some extra steps in hopes of increased accuracy.

As far as trimming to length, I have an old collet style RCBS trimmer to which I have rigged an electric drill. A bit clunky, but I can do 3-4 cases a minute. Brass shavings everywhere.

If bamaboy and the wife are not too busy, I enlist them in trim tasks, chamfering and de burring.

Would like to hear from anybody that uses a "1-step" type trim tool.
Old August 12, 2011, 12:21 AM   #18
Dr. Strangelove

A.) Yes, I trim, (1) and (2), depending on the rifle, and load
B.) Lee case trimmers
C.) Happy with the Lee case trimmers, wish there was a better way
D.) Mark COL on every recipe, assume trimmed to length, or at least in spec.

I have 150-1000 cases for most all the calibers I load. I tend to trim them all at once, then use them as needed. For some calibers, it might be years before I use all the brass, some I go through more quickly.

For rifles I only hunt with, I trim and measure every few loadings, for "target" type stuff, I trim every time.

I like the Lee trimmers, they are cheap and repeatable, and they're all I need. I'm interested in the Zip Trim to speed up the process, currently I chuck them into a drill, but half the time the holder opens up and the case slips out.

I'd love to see a reasonably priced trimmer ($100-$150) with a universal case holder, and a universal collet so I didn't have to have a large investment in "parts", preferably motorized, or at least with a drill type adapter. If anyone can point me in that direction, please do.
Old August 12, 2011, 02:05 AM   #19
FrankenMauser

A) do you trim??? Yes.

1) check every reloading Usually. (Measurement, not a trip through the trimmer.)
2) check every couple loadings At a minimum.
3) are you supposed to check your case length ??? That depends on how much you care, how long you use your brass, and whether or not you are having issues that may be caused by excessive case length.

B) what do you use to trim Hornady Cam-Lock case trimmer.

C) are you happy with your trim method, or wish you had another "better" way ??? I often wonder if I should have gone with the Forster trimmer, but I usually just remind myself: "The grass is always greener on the other side." My Hornady trimmer is predictable, easy to set/adjust, and provides good, square case mouths. It does what I tell it to, and doesn't fight me.

D) do you mark your trimmed case length & COL on your reciepe ???
Absolutely. I mark the trim length (trimmed to), the current length (if fired since then, but not trimmed again), and the OAL. Marking the starting length and current length allows me to track growth, and gives me a heads up on how much stretching and brass flow I'm getting. Two days ago, I ran across a couple of .270 Win cases that had grown 0.025" in only two firings, while the rest of the same lot (fired with the same load, in the same rifle, on the same days) had grown only 0.003", on average. Something's up with those two cases.... So, they went in the scrap bucket.