The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Fish_Scientist

Bulk ammo storage?

I like to sit down at my "bench" and load 50-100 rounds of .45acp at a time. I only have four of the 50 round translucent blue MTM ammo boxes but have ended up with more than 200 rounds on hand. Short of shooting more so I don't have so many loose rounds on hand, what's the simplest, cheapest way of storing bulk ammo? Can it be stored loose in an ammo can? Do I need to break down and buy more boxed storage?

Thanks -

Fish
Old August 8, 2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Fish_Scientist

Disregard.

Should've used the search function.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...k+ammo+storage

Let this be a lesson to you all!

Fish
Old August 9, 2011, 12:20 AM   #3
GWS

Disregard???
Then you'd miss my super cool (in my mind at least) method.

I make my own ammo boxes using shallow cardboard boxes and cut-to-size plastic recessed lighting egg-crate (from Home Depot) to keep it neat.

I just use diagonal nippers to cut to size. In the example in the box, I cut 4 four-hole squares and glued them underneath the grid in each corner. That made it stand off enough to store .308 rifle. Notice the small one next to the Hornady loading tray. Next picture:

To make a tray of 100 rounds nearly the same size as Hornady's 25 case tray, just glue a sheet of styrene to the bottom. I use liquid acrylic solvent I bought at a plastic supply company, called Weld-on 3. You just put the grid in place and use a supplied applicator to apply the stuff. It spreads by capillary action to the whole piece and dries in a few seconds. With a bottom glued on you can even use a deeper box and stack layers.

In the loading tray I have .40 S&W and a few .45 ACP cases on top for examples.

Obviously you can make a bunch of "loading trays" that you can stack in a plastic food box and take to the range. My little 100-case tray is also about the same size as a .40/.45 MTM box minus the lid of course:

Last edited by GWS; August 9, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old August 9, 2011, 12:38 AM   #4
lamarw

I place my pistol reloads in 50 round sectional containers from Berry's, Midway and etc. I then pack them in military ammo cans I buy form the local Camo World. My rifle ammo is done the same except in 20 round plastic sectional cartons. I usually have original paper boxes for shotgun shells. I have been know to clean up the shell casing and the cartons left by litter bug shotgun shooters.

I do have some shotguns shells and .243 rifle rounds left over from my deer hunting and ducking hunting days from back in the mid-70's. I am getting closer and closer to shooting it up and reloading it. I have had no failures of any sort from the 30 plus year old ammo. It has always been kept dry and in a controlled temperature environment.
Old August 9, 2011, 01:11 AM   #5
Dr. Strangelove

Zip-lock bags work well for me.
Old August 9, 2011, 03:02 AM   #6
10-96

+1 for Ziplocs, and empty coffee cans. So what if'n it ain't fancy? The ammo never complains.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 9, 2011, 06:02 AM   #7
SurplusShooter

Ammo cans is fine.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:43 AM   #8
oneounceload

Ziploc bags are the cheapest after reusing old ammo boxes you scrounge from the trash at your club
Old August 9, 2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Locoweed

I buy the plastic ammo boxes from Midway and they work fine. You can get a good price if you buy in bulk (10-12 boxes at a time). A local reloading firm sells their reloads at the gun shows and they package in plastic bags.
Old August 9, 2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Don P

Quote:
+1 for Ziplocs, and empty coffee cans. So what if'n it ain't fancy? The ammo never complains.
Quote:
Ammo cans is fine.
The above states it all. Bags reusable as well as cans.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.