The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 21, 2018, 04:28 PM   #26
reddog81

Usually the ammo specific sites are much better than the generic firearms sites. Midway is routinely $100 over priced on any of the common bulk quantities. I routinely buy stuff from MidwayUSA, but never buy ammo from them.

Ammoseek.com is your best friend for finding which vendor has stuff for cheap. Selway Armory and SG Ammo are the 2 sites I prefer. They usually have a good selection and good prices.
Old February 21, 2018, 05:40 PM   #27
jackstrawIII

Someone may have already mentioned this, but check out ammoseek.com
Old February 21, 2018, 06:50 PM   #28
MandolinMan

Walmart.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old March 11, 2018, 07:12 PM   #29
fl_rich

WikiArms.com searches everyone and reports the lowest price with shipping(if any).

It rules!
Old March 11, 2018, 07:31 PM   #30
FITASC

Quote:
Walmart for .22, .38 spl, 7.62x39, .32 acp, 9mm, .45 acp as well as 12g shotgun shells for trap IMO. I buy specialty stuff like black powder and ball ammo at my LGS. But, on a consistent basis it is tough to beat Walmart ammo pricing. Oh , from time to time a gun show might have a good buy.
9MM I agree with; but I can buy all of the others online for less, including 12 ga ammo and have it delivered to my door.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 11, 2018, 07:37 PM   #31
GarandTd

I just made my 1st ever online ammo purchase recently.
I ordered from SGAMMO and it was a very positive experience.
Old March 11, 2018, 08:12 PM   #32
KLCane

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to say, SGAmmo was by far the best.
Old March 12, 2018, 04:07 AM   #33
Tacticool1976

Target sports USA is what i tell everyone to check out.... for handgun ammo especially in bulk

Cabela's is usually what i check out for 223/556 ammo, my thoughts are anything under 7$ a box is a deal for 556, and for 223 if you can get under 6.50$ you are doing good too.... and if you have a mailer coupon that is a bonus..
Old March 12, 2018, 04:19 AM   #34
JoeSixpack

Target sport is good, if you're looking for defensive ammo bone frog usually has good prices.

Can sometimes find deals at brownells with coupon.

Keep an eye over at gun.deals and /r/gundeals on reddit.

Check both those at least once a day and you won't miss to many sales.

As others said be prepared to buy in bulk say 1k rounds or more usually.. But good deals can be found online it's where I get most my ammo these days.
Old March 12, 2018, 05:14 AM   #35
Eazyeach

Tacticool, check psa for your .223/5.56 needs. Waaay cheaper than Cabela’s.
Old March 14, 2018, 12:16 AM   #36
photographix

For .22 ammo, I've found that my local Cabela's is the best deal right now. Yesterday I picked up 1625 rounds of Federal CPHP for $86 including tax, or about 5.3 cents per round, and it came in a metal ammo box. 525 round boxes of Federal CPHP were on sale for $24.71 w tax a couple weeks ago, or 4.7 cents per round.

GrabAGun is currently running a flat shipping fee of $12.99 for as much ammo as you want to buy. Not a deal for just a couple 50 round boxes, but if you buy a bunch, it turns into a great deal. Ammo is heavy to ship, and I think you have to kick in for the hazardous material fee, too.

Also, I second GunBot.com
Old March 14, 2018, 11:20 AM   #37
drobs

I buy the majority of my bulk ammo from SG Ammo even after checking various ammo search engines.
Old March 14, 2018, 03:47 PM   #38
SaxonPig

To be honest the only ammo I buy is 22LR. I load all my own CF ammo.

Never shopped at Dick's but they caved and dropped ARs after Sandy Hook and now they refuse to sell to adults under 21 so they suck and I will never give them one dime of business.

Walmart is known for having good prices but they are also now discriminating against young adults so they suck.

My local dedicated gun shops are higher priced than Walmart but they respect the Second Amendment and don't suck.

Ammo dealers are often found at local gun shows.

Online shopping is a possibility (if your state/city doesn't suck and ban online buying) but shipping costs can be a killer.

Some might recommend getting into reloading but that means finding bullets (getting hard for some reason) and buying powder and primers which are so costly these days there isn't anything to be saved if your time is worth more than $2 and hour.

Tough situation.
Old March 15, 2018, 07:25 AM   #39
In The Ten Ring

Ammoseek.com is supposed to find the best deal on ammo.

Find a load you and your gun likes, something that prints to point of aim with good ballistic gel performance, 100% reliability, and buy that in bulk. You always save money buying more of something at once.

You can store your ammo in ammo cans, with a bit of dessicant, for decades. One dessicant pack will do for your lifetime as long as you don't open the can. Shoot up older ammo in rotation. Store away as much as you can in these uncertain times.

Dick(head)'s and Walmart caves to people that will never buy a gun, so I have no desire to deal with them anymore either. Gun owners need to make their voices heard right now and counter the "guns are evil and we can trust the police to save us" slogans.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; March 15, 2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old March 15, 2018, 10:43 AM   #40
Don Fischer

Buying ammo on line with free shipping, isn't there a hazard material cost too?
Old March 15, 2018, 06:41 PM   #41
gwpercle

If you buy....buy reloadable brass cases and save them...the day may come when reloading those empty brass cases will seem appealing to you.
Being the master of your own ammo supply is empowering.
A couple of bullet moulds makes you even less dependent on the dealers supply or what's allowed to be sold , online sales in CA are now illegal....what state is next ?
I cast bullets and reload for every centerfire weapon I own and a few I don't own , just in case I get one.
Gary
Old March 15, 2018, 07:23 PM   #42
FITASC

Quote:
Buying ammo on line with free shipping, isn't there a hazard material cost too?
Not for ammo or even primed brass
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 15, 2018, 10:59 PM   #43
kymasabe

I buy almost entirely online. AmmoToGo, ammoman, SportsmanGuide, and Natchez get my money. There's a Rural King in my county that I have yet to visit, but Bass Pro has the occasional sale that's not too bad so many pick up a couple boxes there once in a while.
I still remember the price gouging total dick move CheaperThanDirt pulled a few years ago and refuse to buy from them since. Walmarts near me are poorly stocked so I don't ever buy there.
Old March 20, 2018, 11:22 AM   #44
ftttu

On the shelf and local, Walmart has always been cheaper in my neck of the woods. I'm always hoping for better deals at Academy, but Walmart always has them beat.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:05 PM   #45
rpenmanparker

Be sure you know the rules at your favorite range before you stock up. Are steel and aluminum casings allowed or not. Check the ammo details carefully. Blazer Brass makes a produce with steel or aluminum casings. Totally counter intuitive. Read the descriptions and read them again.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:07 PM   #46
rpenmanparker

Freedom Munitions is good when they have their best sale. Also Ammo Valley which resells Freedom product even cheaper everything considered.
Old March 22, 2018, 04:45 PM   #47
rpenmanparker

I can’t find .22lr online as cheap as at Academy and Wal Mart.
Old March 24, 2018, 06:49 PM   #48
Dan_o

Maybe it depends on where you live & what the local shopping options are.

I have looked at some of the online retailers, but they don't offer a huge price advantage over Rural King, which is about 5 minutes away from my house. If there is no local store near you, you can check their website at rkguns.com.

My only gripe about RK is that they're kinda like WalMart in some regards, in that selection varies depending on what sort of price they can get from suppliers. If they can leverage a good deal on Blazer, they have a ton of it. Ditto for Remington, Geco, Winchester, Hornady, or whatever. And if they can't get a huge discount on it ... there's a bare spot on the shelf.
Old March 26, 2018, 04:44 PM   #49
rpseraph

gun.deals, check there for the latest deals, you can filter to just ammo.

Follow mrgunsngear on Facebook, he shares great ammo deals.

I default to Freedom Munitions. Great ammo, great shipping and often free shipping if you spend over $100.
Old April 15, 2018, 10:05 AM   #50
Goosebuster

Unless you buy in 1000's of rounds at a time, you're not going to find anywhere cheaper than walmart or academy. Im not a walmart fan, but they're selling ammo cheaper than anywhere else so im not above buying it from them. The only way i would go to Dick's for ammo (or anything else) is if they were giving it away for free. I would love to see Dick's take a major financial hit from their stance on guns.