The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 7, 2018, 09:45 AM   #1
Drico

Moving (driving) from Maine to AZ. Bring guns/ammo or ship them?

I'll be moving to the Phoenix area in June and am trying to figure out what to do with my guns and ammo. It's a long drive (2500 miles) and I will have to pass through enemy territory to reach the free states. I am aware of the FOPA but states like NY, NJ,MA, etc do not seem to follow the law. I am assuming maybe I should consider shipping my AR and handguns, "high" capacity magazines. I'm afraid it will cost me more than it's worth to ship to an FFL in AZ though.

Anyways, I was thinking I would like to have at least one firearm with me because we will be camping out a long the way rather than using hotels. I am hoping to bring my Savage 93R17 .17HMR bolt action with 5 and 10 round magazines to keep the varmints away. Should I be concerned carrying a bolt action rimfire in the communist states? I'm at a loss here. I have thousands of rounds of 9mm, 17HMR, 5.56, etc that would cost way too much to ship. Can I just throw the ammo in the back of my SUV and not worry about it? Are there laws against possessing ammo in said states? I cannot find anything relating to just ammo or bolt action rimfires.. looking for advice!!
Old March 7, 2018, 10:46 AM   #2
rwilson452

Lock everything up lock up guns and ammo in separate containers. no loaded mags. To be extra safe I would lock up mags separate too. I would plan to avoid NJ. Gas up before you go into NY. I don't know if you will be able to go thru NY nonstop but try to get as far west in the state as possible. Once past NY you shouldn't have any issues.
Old March 7, 2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Stay out of MA. Up-state NY isn't as bad as NYC and Westchester County. Go west from Maine through NH and VT into NY, pick up I-86 to I-81 and get into PA as quickly as possible and you're out of injun territory.
Old March 9, 2018, 01:36 AM   #4
StrangeBird1911

Drive the speed limit. Never consent to a voluntary search request.
Old March 9, 2018, 03:27 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

I drive up to VT for skiing every so often. When I get close to the MD and NY state lines, I unload and lock the weapons into a case in the trunk and put the ammo up front. I drive across each state without stopping. Once safely into a free state, I pull over into a secluded spot, reload, reholster, and enjoy the rest of my drive with more comfort.

If you feel led to ship your weapons, insure them well and ship them! I'm sure the shipping fees are cheaper than a felony arrest. Although protected by FOPA I have read that NY likes to argue "state law is above federal law" when it comes to guns. I think mags over 7 rounds are big time felonies in NY, just to possess them.

And say you just have to stop.....ever hear of a flat tire? Wreck ahead of you blocking the road? You got rear ended?
Old March 9, 2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Lohman446

Follow the FOPA to the T, possibly ship high capacity magazines ahead of you, and limit your time in "enemy territory". When I have been in a somewhat similar situation I have disassembled the firearms and locked the slides in a separate container from the frame meaning that even if I managed quick access to a container I would not have a functional firearm in any of them.

Follow the rules of the road closely and do not volunteer information if you have to stop for whatever reason. While I believe you are legally in the right I would adopt a "don't ask and don't tell" policy just to attempt to avoid problems.

Not a lawyer. Free legal advise from an unqualified individual is probably something that makes the professionals A LOT of money.
Old March 9, 2018, 04:59 PM   #7
2ndsojourn

From above:

"...and put the ammo up front."

Don't drive through NJ like that. Ammo must also be locked up in a separate case.
Old March 9, 2018, 05:42 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndsojourn
From above:

"...and put the ammo up front."

Don't drive through NJ like that. Ammo must also be locked up in a separate case.
Correct. The federal FOPA requires that the firearm(s) "or" the ammunition be in a locked container (if the vehicle has no trunk to carry them in). The NJ State Police post their version of the FOPA on their web site and, whether by accident or by design, that "or" becomes "and" on the NJ State Police web site.
Old March 10, 2018, 06:46 PM   #9
Armed_Chicagoan

And if you do get pulled over in New York do not talk to the police! The 5th Amendment is your friend.
Old March 10, 2018, 07:22 PM   #10
FITASC

You can cross from NY to PA. Folks seem to get VERY paranoid about this. Unless your vehicle has tons of fake bullet hole stickers, NRA decals and other things no one is going to notice anything special about you. I moved from the West to the Southeast. I shipped my guns with the mover in one box. Everything was detailed, I purchased full replacement insurance, and taped the box with marker lines that would have shown if it was tampered with. $30,000 worth of guns came through just fine. Why didn't I take them? because all of my ammo, powders, primers and other hazmat/flammable stuff the movers wouldn't take were in the back of my truck wrapped in a tarp - I had to avoid Hoover Dam as everything was being checked at the time. Between rimfire, centerfire and shotgun ammo, I had well over 35,000 rounds, 30# of gunpowder, etc........

Drive normally, (run radar if you have one) and you'll be fine.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 10, 2018, 07:46 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
Drive normally, (run radar if you have one) and you'll be fine.
Or just drive the speed limit ...
Old March 10, 2018, 08:00 PM   #12
TheDevilThatYouKnow

Driving the speed limit has been found to be "suspicious behavior" as most drug couriers adhere strictly to speed limits to appear 'un-suspicious'.
https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/36/3614.asp

Last edited by TheDevilThatYouKnow; March 10, 2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old March 10, 2018, 09:53 PM   #13
rwilson452

I have found instead of driving the speed limit. Go with the flow of traffic. In most areas I drive in, that is usually 5-10 MPH over the speed limit on high ways. This doesn't include semi speeds.
Old March 10, 2018, 10:04 PM   #14
FITASC

^^^ But I still run a radar detector anyway, just so I have a heads up......I have a lead foot
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 11, 2018, 01:45 AM   #15
JoeSixpack

Get someone in a fast car to drive ahead of you.. A Pontiac Firebird would be ideal.

The person in the front car will attract the police like a magnet and draw them away from you.

Actually I just 2nd the advice you already got FOPA will protect you from point A to B but best not to draw attention.. sometimes what's on paper does not prevail against police at the side of the road.

I would think shipping cost would be very high if you have a collection anything like most of the people who hang out on a "gun" board.
Old March 11, 2018, 01:48 AM   #16
rwilson452

A speeding red vet is usually a great cop magnet.
Old March 12, 2018, 10:22 PM   #17
In The Ten Ring

Thanks for the warning about locking ammo up while it's up front. I carry revolvers and wouldn't disassemble those.

I WOULD NEVER DRIVE INTO NEW JERSEY.

I dated a girl from NJ but I had her meet me in Virginia and I told her why. I carried on all our dates.

Unless I am in a hurry, making room for truckers, etc. I drive 55 mph (sometimes 60) and stay in the right lane. I do this for fuel economy and because it's just safer. I am yet to attract police attention and I've done this for 12 years now. No stickers of any kind on my car. *Cue the "OMG you drive too slow!" replies.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; March 12, 2018 at 10:39 PM.

Tags
driving , fopa , travel , traveling with a firearm