The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 13, 2008, 04:59 PM   #1
.351winchester

Reccomendations-cleaning products

I'm going to get just a cheap gun cleaning kit, that covers .22/.30/.35/.40/.45/12ga bores, was wondering what you use to supplement yours. I don't know anything about this stuff. Since an AR and auto shotgun are in the future, would like to hear about the good dry lubes, that kind of thing. Lubes for pistols that stay slick and last but don't foul, gum up, etc. Or those fabric things you pull thru instead of using/in addition to patches...
Old July 14, 2008, 08:02 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Holy crap! I made a sig line!

I am not aware of any good dry lube.

I use BreakFree CLP for general lubrication on my handguns.
I use Tetragun Grease where appropriate.
I use Tertagun Oil for bore conditioning.
I am currently testing Corrosion X for rust prevention.

For cleaning I also use sized-for-bore wooden dowels (so I can place a patch over one end and hammer it through the bore), RB-17 as a serious bore cleaner, Prolix as an overall solvent, and no bore brushes.
I have one bronze-wire 'toothbrush' for general cleaning.
Old July 14, 2008, 02:20 PM   #3
50 shooter

Great lube made by one of the members on the board, Weapon Shield. www.weaponshield.com

Depending on what type of cleaning i.e. copper removal, carbon...
Two products that I will never be without are Eliminator copper solvent (no ammonia) by Bore Tech and Carbon Killer by Slip2000.com.
No time for rearranging.
Old July 15, 2008, 07:19 AM   #4
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

http://www.militec1.com
Old July 15, 2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Martyn4802

The whole lube and preservative thing is a study unto itself.
I do use a lot of molly lube, fwiw. And, for a preservative, I've been using RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) since 1948, and my Step Dad was using it before me.
I have no idea with all of the cleaning sovents on the market which is best. I do use Kroil to mix with whatever solvent I have however, 50-50.
I use Sweets to remove copper from the bore too.

Martyn
Old July 22, 2008, 07:19 PM   #6
rgates

Weapon Shield. Best CLP I've ever used and smells good too.
Old July 22, 2008, 11:05 PM   #7
Blankwaffe

Personally I would buy a .22 cal. and .30 cal. Dewey coated rod.That will pretty much cover all you need and last for years.
If you plan on buying an AR in the near future go ahead and buy the Dewey AR chamber cleaning kit.The chamber cleaning kit comes with a brass rod that also doubles as a pistol cleaning rod.Killing two birds with on stone there.
As far as claners and lubricants,I would buy the Hoppe's No.9 solvent,Weapon Shield CLP for an all around cleaner,lube and protectant.If you feel the need for grease I'd recommend Mil-comm's TW25B.
On the rare instances you need a good copper solvent I would recommend BoreTech's Copper Remover or Benchrest Blend.Both are safe for the bores and easy to use.
I personally prefer Pro Shot,Tipton or Butches cotton cleaning patches.The size patch I use most is in the 1 3/4" range.....30 cal.-.45cal.
You will need at least two bore brushes for each caliber,that way they can be rotated and cleaned as you use them.
Buying the quality tools from a source like Dewey will pay for itself in the long run mainly because they last so long.Yeah they are somewhat expensive but its worth the initial investment0
I personally have absolutely no use for a bore snake for anything else but field cleaning.If you do use a bore snake make sure you keep them clean or its like cleaning your bores with dirty patches and bore brushes.
HTH