The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 29, 2020, 09:46 AM   #26
vito

I never owned a large number of guns, but as I have gotten older and shoot less than I used to, I decided awhile ago to thin out my now small group of guns. I sold a few, traded a few, and now I am mostly down to what I need/want. Having a few for concealed carry, a few strategically placed around the house for home defense, and 22LR for plinking at the range found me with a few more that didn't fit any of those categories. But in some cases, for example my Ruger 97DC, I didn't sell it because I just like it more than I need the likely small amount I would get for this particular gun.

But overall, this is probably a great time for anyone wanting to sell guns, especially handguns. Even non gun people are lining up at shops to get something, almost anything, to keep in their home for when the SHTF.
Old March 29, 2020, 12:23 PM   #27
elsancudo

Sold 3k rounds of 9mm and 3k rounds of .223. Did well, but not awesome.
Old March 29, 2020, 12:41 PM   #28
HighDesert

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsancudo View Post
Sold 3k rounds of 9mm and 3k rounds of .223. Did well, but not awesome.
Likely because you were being reasonable and honest. During the last blowout where you couldn't find any common calibers, a guy from work was delivered over 10K rounds of .556. I tried to buy a 100 (5 boxes of 20) and he wanted $20 a box. Never talked to that clown again even if his department was on fire and needed something urgently. You did right. People remember and stuff comes back around.

If you picked up a handgun for $500 and put $300 into it, but would only get $500 if you sold it under normal conditions, I don't see any reason to not try and recoup your cash. If someone wants it with the upgrades and willing to pay then great.

My LGS got CZC P-01 Omega in. The Omega is tough enough to find. The CZ Custom made it a unicorn. With that, the price should have been $1200 max. They priced it at $2000, which was just obnoxious. It sat and sat. I was waiting to see if they would bring it down to something reasonable, then the virus scare happened. Some dude payed the $2k for it when the shelves cleared out. Not sure who I'm more upset with, the store for price gouging, or the fool who gave them the confirmation that the price gouge was okey, but I guess the price is whatever people are willing to pay!
Old March 30, 2020, 04:44 AM   #29
9mm

A few guns come to mind for me to sell right now, several local LARGE gun shops are almost out of hand guns. I thought about putting mine for sale $$$$ in the consignment counter with ammo and all that jazz. I have a feeling things will get worse in a few months, guns will be worth more, perhaps food or silver. I am going to wait it out.

I am already following online websites and handguns have gone up about $40.
Old March 30, 2020, 02:55 PM   #30
Rockrivr1

The Governor here in Mass also closed all gun stores as non-essential. Before they were shut down just the rumor of store closing sent the masses to every gun store in the state and a massive sell off of inventory started to happen. I know several gun store sold out of many popular CCW models and then any handgun they had in the case. Rifles weren't as high in demand as most buyers were looking for self defense handguns and ammo.

As to selling, I'm seriously contemplating thinning the herd as prices are going up and I have some decent CCW handguns that just sit in my safe doing nothing.
Old April 4, 2020, 12:28 AM   #31
Ignition Override

My SAR-1 (Romy AKM derivative) ad went on Armslist TN about four days ago. The ad was Partly intended as an Experiment, out of curiosity. I have three other AK derivatives plus a Czechpoint VZ-58 (--Not an "AK"--).

Seven emails arrived within six hours, from different people. About four were offers, three were requests for more photos. I expected maybe One e-mail the first day.
>>> My price was fairly low <<< I'm never delusional about pricing, and price guns to 'move'. Have sold about ten/twelve guns via Armslist, all FTF/in person.

I sold the rifle to the first firm "I'll take it". Coincidence, as the buyer and I have made five previous Armslist deals an hour from here: the Same SAR-1 (!), Enfield #5, MAK 90, two true German Sig P225s, a P6, P228.

* The main point here is that I had assumed that people were only desperate to find an AR derivative, or possibly a handgun.

Last edited by Ignition Override; April 4, 2020 at 12:37 AM.
Old April 4, 2020, 06:21 AM   #32
Hal

I'm leaning towards the waiting it out at this point. (like 9mm above mentioned)

The cork is out & the genie is out of the rent bottle.

Rents are still due - but - since the courts are closed, there no way to enforce the collection of rents.
Things in a more economically challenged area (according to a fellow landlord) have turned ugly real quick.
One of her tenants threatened her with physical harm if she didn't, "Back the *** off and leave us alone", when she went to collect the rent.

I decided my best course of action at this point is - to monitor the amount of money we take in, and , if necessary, sell whatever I need to to makeup the difference - if need be.
Old April 4, 2020, 08:21 AM   #33
HighDesert

^^Exactly why the one size fits all government solutions only serve to reward the bad and punish the good. I’m on other forums where the only conversations about the stimulus package is buying the next toy. Obviously there’s been zero impact to those folks, but the ones really needing the funds are getting screwed! Pretty pathetic bunch we are and Hal, ver sorry for your situation.
Old April 4, 2020, 10:44 AM   #34
stinkeypete

Timing-
Sell firearms just before hunting season to get the best price
Sell them when there is high demand

Buy them when people lose interest or need cash.

Friends, to the best of my knowlege, the Stimulus Cash is essentially a LOAN to you from the government from your 2021 tax return.

That is, if you would have gotten $1300 back from your 2021 tax return, now you will only get $100 back.

If you owed $100 in 2021, you will need to send them a check for $1300.

I believe that's the present situation. It's not free money and it will take some financial planning so people do not get in to difficulty in a year, pending additional legislation.
Old April 5, 2020, 01:02 AM   #35
Ignition Override

The general reason I offered one of my four imported AKM derivatives was because one would be sold after a while, having five rifles in that same chambering.

If honest with ourselves about having an extra rifle and this clear thought coincides with good timing, there is no reason to delay and take the risk later of something not selling without most buyers thinking "It's All About Me and taking advantage of you".

Still have the cash from that trade about five days ago, plus most of the 1,000 rds. of 7.62x39 ammo from the trade. The other guy--a buddy on Armslist-- agreed to value the new ammo at .25/round.
Not interested in buying another gun right now.