The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 14, 2020, 04:03 PM   #1
Metal god

Anyone else thinking they're going to finally have more time to reload ?

I'm in the construction field and although I could work right now , I'm choosing not too . I also take care of two older family members both having strokes and other medical issues . This means I can't take the chance of getting sick and passing it to them .

So I postponed all work until further notice . I was lucky that I had just finished one job and about to start another so no contract issue there . I sent an email to all clients that I was stopping work for the time being . All were very good about it and I suspect many where glad I would not be bringing the virus to there door step .

Now what to do with all this new found free time ? Reloading is going to be one for sure . I was also thinking that shooting can be a solitary activity which I may do more of now . Oh then there's all those pesky things around the house I've been putting off .

Do you guys see your selves doing more firearms related activities in the near future ?

To include talking on internet gun forums more lol

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; March 14, 2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old March 14, 2020, 04:27 PM   #2
TJB101

I wish ... I work from home so no luxury for me. Best of luck to you and your family. That was a smart idea on your end considering you family situation.
Old March 14, 2020, 05:37 PM   #3
Metal god

Thanks for the good wishes

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 14, 2020, 07:22 PM   #4
Kevin Rohrer

My worthless Governor closed the schools for 3-weeks, so that gives me 3-weeks to load my fool head off. I plan to do this, but also do lots of shooting. In a way this is a win-win, but I hate the loss of money. Thanks, deWhiner.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old March 14, 2020, 07:54 PM   #5
Mainah

I work from home in an industry that should be okay if things don't go completely south. Right now I'm grateful for of all the folks who are still out there working directly with the public. If you're one of them- thank you.
Old March 14, 2020, 08:19 PM   #6
rickyrick

I’ll probably be out of work soon. I work at a small privately owned school, will be closed for six weeks at least. Once the owner is out of money it’s over. Wish I could go shoot, but I’m not really enthusiastic about being seen with gun type stuff outside of my home. Wife works as a clerical person at the hospital, her future is unknown too... could be more work for her or she could get cut. There’s rumors of cutting non-medical persons. I don’t need anything I’m set for now. But it might be rough all the way through the election.
A lot of people are going to be out of work when this passes.
I’m resigned to no recreational activities that Require money, to include shooting.
Old March 14, 2020, 10:05 PM   #7
Targa

My full time job is in law enforcement, my part time job is in the Air National Guard. Unfortunately, there is not shortage of work for me and very little chance that I will have more time to do anything, reloading being way on the bottom of the list.
Old March 15, 2020, 02:24 AM   #8
Scorch

A friend told me today he needs me to crank up the old progressive press and reload since he will be home for the next few weeks. HAHAHAHAHA!!! I have kids too! What am I gonna do, lock them in a closet while I reload?
Old March 16, 2020, 02:37 PM   #9
Dufus

I retired a little over 10 years ago. My kids are grown and my grandkids are getting there.

Life moves on. What we choose to do with it is up to the beholder.

When I am not at the bench, I am either doing yard work, driveway mechanic work, or working on getting DJT re-elected.

I have a 55 Chevy 3100 that I bought in Jan 1973 and drove until June 1987 that I am restoring as well.
Old March 16, 2020, 03:03 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

I have already started.
Knocked out the 6.5-284 Norma backlog yesterday.
I think .480 Ruger is next.
Then it's on to .475 Tremor and .17-223, before looking through the old "to load" stack/pile that I pushed into the spider corner a few years ago...

There's plenty to get done around the house, too. ...So long as hardware stores don't get shuttered.
Old March 16, 2020, 03:31 PM   #11
Crankylove

I’ve started loading a little more with the additional free time.

.30-30 and .223 last night.

Probably do some 9mm tonight.

Also have a few thousand cases that have been waiting to get trimmed............looks like I may have the time now.
Old March 16, 2020, 03:33 PM   #12
Metal god

Yep I started prepping cases last night . Also ordered more bullets

Old March 16, 2020, 03:46 PM   #13
rickyrick

My free time will be preparing to compete with all the other job seekers that will be out of work
Old March 16, 2020, 06:25 PM   #14
Targa

^^^That is where my wife is now, she was layed off Friday with six other people.
Old March 16, 2020, 07:02 PM   #15
Mannlicher

Loaded 300 rounds of .38 Special 158 grain LSWC the other day. 200 rounds with 140 gr JHP ready for powder and bullet sitting in loading blocks. Took the day off for kayaking some tidal creeks today

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old March 16, 2020, 07:25 PM   #16
Mainah

I was out on the local nature trails with the dog today, not a soul around. Good time to be outside enjoying nature.
Old March 17, 2020, 10:29 AM   #17
Metal god

Well I finally actually started loading some 9 mm last night after cleaning and prepping some rifle cases . Also started cleaning out the basement . I’m trying to make a schedule like three or four hours a day in the basement , couple hours at the reloading bench and few hours sitting around .

Not sure you guys heard or would want to , but . Amazon is hiring temporary workers Because of all the online ordering going on . I personally have five orders coming in the next two weeks which a few I ordered a couple weeks ago . Not sure what all the jobs are but would assume many of them would be delivery persons if you want to be out and about Amazon is hiring

Last edited by Metal god; March 17, 2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old March 17, 2020, 04:28 PM   #18
jpx2rk

I've already cleaned all my CF rifles as much as I can (or going to). I'm waiting on 2 barrels to be delivered, both ordered 2/14/20, I was notified of one going into production about a week ago. I could be making brass for 'em (20 Practical & 6x45) but I'm waiting on one bushing to arrive (maybe tomorrow per Brownells) so I can make the 20P. I have the die(s) for the 6x45, and enough brass for both projects, just not ready to do it yet. Kinda tired of being inside the house.

I could re-load about 300 rounds of 204R, and 500+/- in 223, but kinda tired of being in the house.

I've also got a 10/22 to set up for ABRA factory class and sort out, a couple TC Contenders (recent acquisitions) to sort out as well. Also need to finish messing around with the wind flags for ABRA.

I'm getting tired of being inside the house as we've had very few sunny days around here in 2020. Sunshine is a rare commodity here and the forecast is not looking all that promising.

I also need to wash/wax the 2 vehicles, pressure wash the driveway & patio, clean the screened in porch, mow the damned yard and pull weeds.

I've got lots to do during this "keep away from the public" time frame, the weather just won't cooperate for the most part. Not complaining about the current situation, I realize I'm very very fortunate, just wish the weather would cooperate with me a bit more. I hope everyone survives these difficult times w/o much discomfort.
Old March 17, 2020, 04:36 PM   #19
joe45c

With the nasty weather and virus on the loose i decided to knock out 50 45 colt loads. Now hopefully i can sneak out to the range.
Old March 17, 2020, 04:43 PM   #20
jrinne0430

I wish i had the time. If it get worse, then maybe...been needing to cast for most of my calibers.
Old March 22, 2020, 03:09 PM   #21
Metal god

Godsmack , I love that user name . I've seen them twice .

Turn on the surround sound and CRANK IT UP !!! , enjoy everybody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-XWkxOqVKA

Last edited by Metal god; March 22, 2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old March 29, 2020, 01:53 AM   #22
Metal god

I did something I've been wanting/needing to do for a few years now . I separated all the brass I had gathered over the last few years . It was about 2 5gal buckets full in total . I can say this for sure . People shoot A LOT of 9mm and 223/5.56 . I by far got the most pieces in those cartridges . Ended up with a bunch of 40 cal which I don't shoot or own a firearm for . The least pieces I got were 44mag , only 2 cases thought I'd get at least 50 or so .

Guessing here

3 gal 9mm
4 gal 223
1.5 gal 40cal
3/4 gal 45acp
1/2 gal 38/357
the rest just small amounts of at least 6 other cartridges .

I have done a good bit of reloading lately to include loading up several test loads for when ever I get a chance to go shoot again . I inventoried my stock of powders , primers and loaded ammo . turns out I'm much lower on a few powders then I thought and they seem to be sold out everywhere right now , I still have some but less then I'd like . Bought a few thousand projectiles though before they were all gone . I might load up some 357 tomorrow and then I'll likely be done for a bit .

Looks like the rain has stopped here for awhile so I'll be working on the exterior of my house for the next week or two .

I've not left my property in 17 days and think I have enough supplies to last us another 6+ weeks if need be . Although I wish I would have bought powdered milk and more snack type foods for the long run . This is a good test on seeing if the types of things I've stock piled over the last few years is actually good to survive on in a emergency situation . So far so good but I have learned a lot on what to have next time .

Hope you all are doing well

MG

Last edited by Metal god; March 29, 2020 at 01:58 AM.
Old March 29, 2020, 03:01 AM   #23
FrankenMauser

Lesson learned about semi-voluntary isolation/quarantine:
Even though I need to reload and do other important things (like feed the kids, fix the cars, keep the house from flooding, etc.), I prefer working on project guns.

Need to load some .243 Win? Nah. Inlet that ridiculous thing that's been in the corner for a decade.

Need to reload the recently fired 6.5-284 test ammo with the new charge weights? Nah. Send the kids to play outside and do some metal polishing.

Need to fix the faucet that has suddenly started spraying on the wall, even when turned off? Nah. Just turn it on slightly, so the water goes down the drain, and get back to planning the next lever gun project.

Need to clean a bunch of brass so it can be sized and prepped for reloading? Nah... Grab a chisel and start shaping the stock for something at place 417 in the project queue.

Employers love to ask, "Where do you see yourself in five years?"
I didn't see myself here five days ago...

Powdered milk? Not enough.
But there is some on hand.
Luckily, the supply of 'fresh' milk has returned to acceptable levels.

We did get caught short on flour. (And, arguably, yeast.) Get me some flour (and yeast) and we're good for some time to come.
Although... I refuse to freeze cheese. It ruins the texture. We don't keep any extra cheese on hand. We could really use some fresh cheese...
Old March 29, 2020, 12:27 PM   #24
Rembrandt

Haven't been laid off, we're considered an essential business. Working of some cutting edge ventilator designs with 3D printing. Been able to reload over 2000 9mm rounds in the last few days, have enough components to do another 3500. Hope to get everything loaded before grass cutting time arrives.
Old March 29, 2020, 01:14 PM   #25
rickyrick

Still organizing my different ammunition, cleaned the guns and all that.

I haven’t been laid off, not really an essential business, should be closed under the direction of the governor, but my employer is requiring me to work. My tasks cannot be done effectively at home, so I’ve been sneaking into work. I can’t resign, because that would nullify any unemployment claims I could make.
If we can’t work, my employer goes under. So I’m stuck without much choice.

Not anything recreational that I can do outside of the home right now.l, so I have more time around the house. Not willing to spend any money with an uncertain employment future, so I’m doing whatever I can accomplish without spending money around the house when I’m not at work.

The real kick-in-groin was that before all of this, I was originally going to start looking for a new career in the April-May timeframe... now it seems millions of others will be doing the same.