The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 9, 2020, 07:55 AM   #26
Hal

Quote:
If this gun will fire without the barrel attached what category does it fall into with the NFA?
Right under the heading of:
Doing stuff like that gives stupid a bad name......
Old March 9, 2020, 08:37 AM   #27
rep1954

Quote:
Right under the heading of:
Doing stuff like that gives stupid a bad name......
Hey I work with a guy who really did shoot himself in the foot.
Old March 9, 2020, 08:55 AM   #28
stinkeypete

I feel sorry for the guys that make this.

Even at $12.90 I would not want one.
$129 is the price point for a Heritage .22 revolver.

Someone designed and manufactured this thing and must have some enthusiasm for it. I feel bad the nicest thing I can say is "huh. Well. It looks like you guys worked hard on this."
Old March 9, 2020, 10:03 AM   #29
luger fan

AMAZING but to e honest for $100 I would probably bye one.
Old March 9, 2020, 11:28 AM   #30
Hal

Buy one - keep everything in the original package & hang onto the sales slip.
Stick it in a safe place - never shoot it - just check on it to make sure it's still like new.
If you pay $100 for it now, just think, in 250 years - in pristine condition - it should be worth $101 - or maybe more.

Just half kidding.

& kicking myself for selling a couple of S&W M19's for $250 not so long ago - that someone back in the 1980's had bought brand new, stuck in a drawer in the original box - and never fired. I guess they got handed down to someone that didn't want them and just took whatever the gun store offered them.
Old March 9, 2020, 01:36 PM   #31
Forte S+W

It's much to expensive for what it is. Honestly, in a world in which one can get high quality Military/Police trade-ins for just a little bit more, and there are cheap yet reliable firearms which are far more viable for Self-Defense like Hi-Points for roughly the same price, possibly even less if you buy used, it just doesn't make any sense to pay $100 for something like that.

Honestly, I've seen Soviet military surplus firearms like the Makarov PM and FEG PA-63 go for $150. Granted that was 4 or 5 years ago, but that's just because everyone bought them all up, recognized their quality, and the prices quickly doubled, but there will always be foreign military/police surplus firearms imported into the United States at low prices, as anyone who browses various importers websites such as Century Arms International, Tri-Star, European-American Arms, etc can see.
In addition, sometimes you can find really good deals on bargain-priced American-Made firearms on the used market. Case in point, just last September I walked into my LGS to buy ammo and found a LNIB SW40VE for $199. Granted that it's a last-gen model and the trigger is heavy, but it's still a clone of the ultra-reliable Glock 19 made by Smith & Wesson. I bought that gun and have been carrying it ever since.

So yeah, I see no valid reason to drop $100 on one of those, even if they're on an extreme budget. Save up another $50 and go shopping for a cheap European military sidearm, or buy a Hi-Point, or buy a Heritage Arms Rough Rider in .22 Magnum, it's still better. Heck, even if all you have is $100 and need something for Self-Defense immediately, I'd sooner recommend that you buy a big knife because at least you can slash/stab away until the threat is stopped as opposed to hoping that the single shot you have loaded in your gun, not to mention a much higher intimidation factor than pointing a gun that looks like a cross between a hot glue gun and a turkey baster at someone.
Old May 1, 2020, 05:23 AM   #32
ballardw

Am I the only one that thinks this is a commercial Zip gun?

Corporate link
http://altorcorp.com/

A single shot handgun, load by screwing the barrel on/off, fire with a trigger that basically works by pulling back to load the spring and release to fire.

At least they are inexpensive if not exactly small for a single shot.
Old May 1, 2020, 09:57 AM   #33
BarbarianCBX

That thing is just wrong in so many ways.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old May 1, 2020, 10:20 AM   #34
Pahoo

Looks like a hair drier

Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks this is a commercial Zip gun?
Won't take exception to your thinking. Have to admit that the first time I saw this, in a publication, I thought it was a hair-drier or heat gun of some kind. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old May 1, 2020, 10:42 AM   #35
BillM

Interesting. If injection molding and MIM were a thing in 1942,
the Liberator pistol might have looked like this. It needs a storage
compartment in the butt for a few extra rounds.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:06 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

^^^
My first thoughts when I saw reviews of that thing!
My second thoughts, I gotta get one!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 1, 2020, 12:37 PM   #37
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Duplicate threads merged.
Jeepaholic
Old May 1, 2020, 01:01 PM   #38
DukeConnor

Demolition Ranch has a pretty good video on it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F7291bGZEXY
Old May 6, 2020, 12:14 PM   #39
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If you pay $100 for it now, just think, in 250 years - in pristine condition - it should be worth $101 - or maybe more.
Not so sure about your time line. Those stupid USFA ZIP pistols that never even worked are selling for more now than when they were new only a couple years ago!
(I know, I've been looking for one! Why? Because it is so stupid!)
Old May 6, 2020, 05:14 PM   #40
Forte S+W

If you're looking for a cheap investment pistol will massive stupid-appeal, I recommend the Remington R51. They're on sale for $250 right now on Buds and are all but assured to appreciate in value, just as other trainwreck pistols like the Colt All-American 2000.
Old May 6, 2020, 08:18 PM   #41
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If you're looking for a cheap investment pistol will massive stupid-appeal, I recommend the Remington R51. They're on sale for $250 right now on Buds and are all but assured to appreciate in value, just as other trainwreck pistols
LOL, got one of them too.
Not for any investment. Just because I thought (still think) they are cool. Mine is a second release pistol that functions perfectly with good ammo. Don't us cheap off brand, or foreign ammo, and it runs like a champ, is accurate, and very comfortable to shoot.
Old May 9, 2020, 08:36 PM   #42
greentick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
Demolition Ranch has a pretty good video on it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F7291bGZEXY
He brought it out in a recent episode. He had attached a red dot w JB weld. Flew off when shot, pretty funny