The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2010, 09:31 AM   #26
sks

Crapster, thanks for the post. A friend invited my wife and I on a quail hunt over the Christmas holidays and it was a blast. I had never hunted quail and my wife had never hunted at all. She now wants a .20 for skeet and bird hunting so I'm in the market.

While I have multiple rifles and handguns my only shotguns are 1) Stevens single shot .12 with a long barrel and full choke, 2) Stevens .410/.22mag O/U 3) Rossi Trifecta .20 and I don't think any of those would do for skeet.

I came today looking for this exact info and I appreciate all of the great posts listed here. Was looking for O/U for my wife because it is "easier" for her but might go with a semi-auto.

What fun, my wife wants to go buy a gun. Guess she will have to drag me along.
Old January 2, 2010, 12:49 PM   #27
Dre

Look at these: Browning Citori, Remington 870 Wingmaster, Remington 1100
Old January 2, 2010, 08:26 PM   #28
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Buy a $500 O/U from a Third World maker and it's worth $250 by the time you get it home.

Buy a better O/U like SKB,Miroku,Ruger for about $1K, new or used, and you'll still have a $1k shotgun after shooting it for five years.

Buy a Browning or Beretta, take good care of it and shoot it for generations.

My White Onyx Sporter is a couple years old. Even in todays' market, I'd lose little if anything were I to sell it. No plans for that,though.
Old January 3, 2010, 10:20 PM   #29
drjjpdc

Crapster, Big Jim has very good advice. Yes a pump is not the perfect target gun, but with your price range and frequency, nothing wrong with a Browning BPS. Don't be afraid of Trap, it is actually the easiest of the three. As a matter of fact, I would start shooting trap first. Then move up to skeet and finally sporting clays. Each sport builds in complexity, number and direction of stations. Will a pump hold back your scores a bit? Possibly, but if you are like me, 1-5 extra targets more or less isn't a huge deal, as long as you are having fun.