The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2000, 07:58 PM   #1
huntschool

Has anyone got some loads and good ballistics on the 30-338.

If you do could you email the files to:

[email protected]
[email protected]

I am tinkering with the idea of having a 1885 Browning High Wall in 06 recambered to 30-338.

Thanks in advance.

Huntscool
"Single shot shooters only shoot once"
Old August 20, 2000, 11:37 AM   #2
Jeff, CA

The 30-338 is a near twin to the 308 Norma. Starting loads for the Norma are probably in the ballpark. On the other hand, why not go with the Norma, so you can use factory ammo too?

Old August 20, 2000, 12:15 PM   #3
huntschool

Jeff:

Thanks...as I remember (and this could be wrong) yo can't recut a 30-06 chamber to fit a 308 Norma.

If you or anyone else knows let me know.

Thanks

Huntschool
"single shot shooters only shoot once"
Old August 20, 2000, 04:20 PM   #4
Jeff, CA

This is the first time I've heard that, but you may be right. All the Norma cartridges have parallel throats, and the '06 may have a funnel throat, and the OAL's are the same. That would mean some of what would be the parellel part of the throat in the Norma has already been cut away in the '06.

Since you're dealing with a single shot, where cartridge length is irrelevant, why not go up to the .300 Winchester or Weatherby, for the same reason (factory ammo)?

Old August 20, 2000, 05:51 PM   #5
huntschool

Jeff:

The 300 Win. is the logical move. I have been considering this caliber in a Dakota 10. The 30-338 was a "toy" idea. Non-Factory ammo doesn't bother me. I get most of my ammo loaded by Superior in South Dakota so it would just be another box or so of ammo from them.

I have had lots of experience with the 300. The Weatherby round burns out throats too quick for me. I shoot a bunch and have had some Weatherbys in the past.

Actually, if going to a 300, the Dakota round is a good one.

Thanks

Huntschool
"sigle shot shooters only shoot once"